1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

ClutchFans Game Thread: Rockets @ Bulls 12/11/2020 (Preseason)

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Dec 10, 2020.

1. CK Johnson

CK Johnson Member

I really hope Cousins can keep his temper in check and stay healthy.

clos4life, gatsby, pr0wler and 4 others like this.
  2. s3ts

s3ts Member

I'll be honest, Wall + Cousins is impressive, obviously... But the other guys?

Stone did a nice job. This is still a very nice team to have. It just feels so gutted because Harden is halfway out the damn door.

3. Spooner

Spooner Member

John Wall sounded a little sick in that video :eek: Probably just allergies.

More concerning was the fact that Wall and Cousins both gave the impression they were unsure how things would play out with Harden and Tucker. Strange considering Wall's previous comments on Harden last week. Almost seemed they are working with the assumption they won't be here.

4. FatSeagal

FatSeagal Member

Harden's gone. Just depends for what now.

hakeem94 likes this.
  5. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

Wall and Boogie are huge surprises. I loved Wall’s floor game and his explosion. He can make catch/shoot 3’s too. Grant can play off the bench.

Boogie is looking quick too. His size and spacing made it easier for EG to make his 3 point shots. Ben is in good form. Gerald looked great out there. He definitely needs to be in the rotation. Nwaba needs more time to get going.

Bruno’s shooting is better, but he needs to rebound a lot more and improve on defensive rotations.

Can Martin bring additional rebounding? I’m looking forward to seeing Wood in the next game. PJ and Harden should come back.

@ApacheWarrior @D-rock

6. saleem

Don’t give him up for junk. Our team isn’t that bad.

don grahamleone and hakeem94 like this.
  7. D-rock

D-rock Member

Silas: Our goal was to keep other team under 100 points.

I loved this goal!!!

But I understand why Silas has stressed defense so much in training camp.

The offense looked very similar to last season's 5 out but obviously with more emphasis on ball movement AND off ball movement.

However while the defense was not switch everything all the time (or even most of the time), when it was a switch, it was messy and/or slow recognition and that's likely because the best defensive communicator/leader was not on the floor (PJ). But even doubling ball handler and rotating after the pass or closing out and guarding PnR was inconsistent. But effort and urgency on defense was excellent. Especially from Nwaba. Wall, Tate and Bruno also stood out here.

And Boogie was amazing on offense and he is a natural disruptor on D but he should NOT be defending on the perimeter 1 v. 1. He was also not hedging hard enough on PnR and dropping under a little too deep. Boogie should either always play drop coverage or 2-3 zone to maximize his active hands, IQ and crazy wingspan. This way he is facing the ball and always be in position to attack passing lanes and pick pockets.

I'm actually very excited to see how Wood will be used on D. As well as PJ.

Richie_Rich, Nook, clos4life and 8 others like this.
  8. D-rock

D-rock Member

The good news is that Bruno was Rockets leading rebounder.

clos4life and s3ts like this.
  9. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

It's safe to assume he wont. Rockets better call his bluff though. Harden is a baller, he's gonna suit up day 1. I truly believe that.

I like that though. It seems like Silas has sent a mandate to the team that who we have at practice is who we have here. I'm really liking this Silas hire. I really think he might be that special coach that knows how to push buttons AND understand strategy. I thought this before the season though and this pre-season game is just early (although irrelevant, granted) proof of that.

10. saleem

He will need to do a lot more against bigger and stronger teams. I will be convinced if he can do that.

11. D-rock

D-rock Member

Wall appears under the weather.

I hope it's just allergies or the flu.

clos4life, clutchdabear and saleem like this.
  12. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Thank you boogie

13. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

I couldn't be happier to hear Silas say that the offense was somewhat stagnant a few times when they brought the ball up. He also said they'd work on that. Beautiful news! Muah- love to hear it. It's like music to my basketball loving ears. No more stagnating on offense please!

14. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

I don't know if you watched the game or not, but there was a stretch where we went small ball for a while with Bruno in the post. I'm sure that's because we're short-handed, but I don't think we've seen the last of it -- just the last of it full-time.

15. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Yeah, this is what I was wondering if Harden would be able to fit into. We'll see if he's even around, but if so, we'll see if he fits into what Silas is wanting to do. I hope he tries to be a part of this because having Wall and Harden with Boogie out there could be a passing/scoring nightmare for defenses.

hakeem94, joshuaao, s3ts and 3 others like this.
  16. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

17. saleem

Stone shouldn’t have given Tate a contract.
    He needs to learn how to defend guards. Big and long forwards will give him trouble.

Craig would have fit in better than him. It’s too bad that the Rockets couldn’t acquire him . Shaq Harrison would have been better than Grant, but he can backup Wall to a fair extent.
    @D-rock @ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior and D-rock like this.
  18. s3ts

s3ts Member

Just watching the recorded game, I chuckled a few times when John and Bougie just kept fumbling the ball sometimes.

They'll get better but Boogie lol this dude is always just stumbling bro.

19. D-rock

D-rock Member

I think they will use Tate like Rudy used Mario Elie.

Hope Tate is up to that challenge.

You are correct, he needs to improve 1v1 defense vs. NBA caliber guards.

saleem likes this.
  20. PeterKingX

PeterKingX Member

Stick with Moreyball? Lol
    Moreyball is ****ing predictable and useless in playoffs. Hell no.

Crashlanded19 and saleem like this.