1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

ClutchFans Game Thread: Rockets @ Blazers 4/25/2014 (Playoffs Round 1, Game 3)

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Apr 24, 2014.

1. whozee

whozee Member

He means shot clock

2. Dementium

Dementium Member

This is warranted if we lost. We won. Or am I in some alternate timeline?

There was 50 seconds left. One missed shot does not equate to causing OT.

3. Andrew Wiggins

We were still up 3. You have to milk the clock. Missing that lay up screwed us because it gave portland the ball right back with a chance to score in transition because everyone thought we were gonna set up and milk the clock. Not only that, but even if someone else misses with everyone back we might get the offensive rebound which would have ended the game. Our guards can get it with a lucky bounce, and our bigs might even get the tip in. You never know, but that is why you always milk the clock and make sure everyone is back before you shoot.

4. archinkent

archinkent Member

Yeah my bad. Getting late here :eek:

5. HardenWay

HardenWay Member

Not only that but Lin was out of the play after being blocked. Gave Batum the wide open 3. Would rather pull it out, burn clock getting a shot. If you miss you at least can defend 5 on 5.

6. AuburnRocket

AuburnRocket Contributing Member

Yep ANDREW...touchy bunh on Jeremy here. Jeremy is NOT responsible for anyone else but himself. He can only control what HE DOES...not Harden,Dwight etc. It was not a percentage play. You understand. It's why in baseball that you have a guy on first and one out, you walk the batter to set up the double play (even if the pitcher thinks the guy has a low batting average and he can get him out. It's about PERCENTAGES.

7. Andrew Wiggins

Everyone trying to deflect the blame onto harden just doesn't get it. There is a difference between missing shots and making a costly mistake. That is a good lay up in any other situation, but the spurs didnt win all those championships because they never missed shots or played dumb basketball. They did it by playing smart especially when it mattered most.

8. AuburnRocket

Uh, guy on second...my bad.

9. l4z4rd

l4z4rd Member

except a layup is a high percentage shot.

10. Dementium

Dementium Member

There is a lot of what ifs in your observations here. However, what happened was we won the game. Theres no what ifs about that.

I guess what a lot of people are upset about is the hypocrisy. The guy had a decent game. Give credit where credit is due.

If it was Beverley who made the plays Lin made tonight you would all be hailing him as a hero.

11. Andrew Wiggins

And you guys need to stop acting like we dont blame harden. Have you seen this board lately? If he made that mistake we would be just as upset at him, if not more.

12. AuburnRocket

No problem..just having a good time with you. We are all Rockets fans here. Hey, I wish being late was my only problem....eyesight, hearing etc. you get it. Let's go get game 4!

13. guanwangzhe

guanwangzhe Member

14. lucnguye92

lucnguye92 Member

I think the general consensus was that he should have played clock management. This is clearly the safer play to make, especially because we were really desperate for the win. We had the lead, with 1 full possession, and we wanted to put the pressure on them to tie it up by forcing that three. Also, by taking the time to to set up the possession, utilizing the full shot clock, we would have increased our chances of having a second chance opportunity for an offensive rebound.

On the other hand, if he made that lay up, which was a HUGE gamble, it would have been a two possession game. The big factor in that is "IF." It's sort of like gambling, when you're playing black jack. When you're losing big, you don't bet more to try and recoup your winnings. You play conservative, make the smart bet and build your pot back.

In the end, we have the win, and I'm happy with that. But, that doesn't mean that we can't play smarter or better.

15. l4z4rd

l4z4rd Member

not surprised. Nothing generates more clicks and traffic than Lin bashing.

16. Dementium

Dementium Member

Ah screw this. I'm changing the topic. Anyone has the highlights? Or where can I download the game? I want to watch this again and again. XD

17. AuburnRocket

Here is a couple of "ifs" you have conveniently missed....IF we get fouled, we get 2 FT's..IF we run the shot clock down and make it we lead by 5 or 6. IF we miss, Portland is still down the same 3 with less than 50 seconds left (somewhere between 33-49..less actually). And IF you are going to the basket, is Jeremy incapable of a DUNK ? You know seeing the open lane to the basket and all.

18. AuburnRocket

Couldn't have said it better and HAVEN'T. Well put. We love all our players but you are on point. Nough said here. We WON and I'm dang happy. Chop wood...one at the time.

19. Scarface281

Scarface281 Contributing Member

20. Dementium

Dementium Member

Or Jeremy could have passed the ball to Harden, Harden drives, gets stripped and gives up the three pointer from Lillard for a four point play and hey presto we are behind.

Portland was not going to foul. It was 50 seconds left.

Basically, my point is we should be dwelling more on what he did right, not what he did wrong, especially considering we WON the game thanks to him and Daniels.