1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

ClutchFans Game Thread: Rockets @ Blazers 11/16/2012

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Nov 15, 2012.

1. Lorenzomax

Lorenzomax Rookie

I can promise...Lillard only scored 7 points over Lin in the ENTIRE game. He went 3-9, 0 ast against Lin. 6-9, 5 ast against TD and the others.

2. instar

instar Member

yes, most of them were blowout wins, so he didn't have to play a lot of minutes.
    he was playing about 24-28 minutes i think.

3. Lorenzomax

Lorenzomax Rookie

We should hire Delfino as the new coach... I'm serious...:p

4. Lorenzomax

Lorenzomax Rookie

ummmmm... 29 mins as I remember..

5. The Rock MVP

The Rock MVP Member

I just don't think Lin is that good. Easily the best PG on the team, but this board has labeled him one of our franchise players.

I just don't think he can carry a team by himself. Please for the love of god do not mention that 10 some odd game stretch with the knicks your proof that Lin can carry a team.

I just don't think he can be a franchise player or be the foundation that you build around. He is a great compliment...definitely. Sadly, his entire contract makes him overpaid.

My two cents...

6. Solidz75

Solidz75 Rookie

Respect your opinion. But how many Lin games did u watch in its entirety last year? I don't mean just the espn highlights.

7. Jetfuel

Jetfuel Member

All right, so you say that his time at the knicks shouldn't be used as proof that he can't carry a team.

So why don't you tell us what you are basing your opinion that he isn't going to be good enough to do that? Where is your proof for this assertion? That his contract makes him overpaid? Are you basing that on only the 8 games we have had in this season so far?

8 games out of which he has only been allowed to play as a PG in 3 games? And even in those 3 games he has had to share ball handling duties with Harden?

He had 11 assists last night. I think if he had been handling the ball the majority time he was on the floor (like most starter PGs seem to) he would have been 15+. His shot's not falling right now, but if you let him play like a pure PG his confidence will come back on that too, sooner rather than later. Lin can easily be a double-double machine for the Rockets.

Whether that makes him part of the rockets future 'big 3,' is hard to say. I agree with you it's far too early to say he is a franchise player. But it's equally FAR too early to right him off. For now, all I see is upside with this kid.

8. zdrav

zdrav Member

In what alternative multiverse does $8mil buy you a franchise player?

9. Karolik

Karolik Member

Lin is not a franchise player, not even close, nor is he even paid like one. Not sure what you're saying.

10. torocan

torocan Member

Meh. There are VERY few people that would label Lin as a Franchise player right now. And statistically it's unlikely he'll ever become one. That's not a knock on Lin, it's just that statistically hardly ANYONE becomes a franchise player regardless of how they start.

I don't think Lin right now can carry a team without a very deep roster, and even then not much beyond 1st or 2nd round of the playoffs. Heck, look at John Wall... #1 pick, highly celebrated, and his win record is nothing to get remotely excited about.

The 10 game stretch isn't proof that he's a franchise player, or even a potential franchise player, all it shows is that Lin has potential upside. Whether that is realized to the maximum nobody knows.

Mark Cuban argues that Lin could become a Nash type player eventually... with the right coaching and freedom to do what he excels in.
    Bob Cousey argues that Lin will turnout to be good to Very good.
    D'Antoni sees flashes of Nash in him.

That's all opinion of course, and as we see on this board everyone has one.

I believe that by the end of this year Lin will likely be an above average PG, with a small chance of being top 10.

Anything beyond that is uncertain, partly because it doesn't happen all that often, partly because PG's just don't develop that quickly, and partly because there are SO many factors out of Lin's control.

Lin can't control who is on the roster or their skill level. He can't control how much freedom the Coach gives him. And he can't control the role he's asked to play in the offense.

That said, the Lin we see today isn't the Lin we'll see in 1 year, or even in 3 years. Just as the Lin we saw defensively last year is not the Lin we see today.

Lin is an unfinished product like all young players, and to think of him as "finished" is grossly unfair to a player of his work ethic and talents.

11. instar

instar Member

I thought harden was our franchise player, he's the one getting near max.

12. EarlIII

EarlIII Member

And Harden ISOs can carry a team?

13. muas2010

muas2010 Member

I'm not knocking on Samspon just yet, as it's a long season so not playing Lin long minutes is probably a good thing. This gives him chances to slowly improve his game and health in the long term. However, you need you best players to finish the game.....and Lin IS one of their best players (stat's don't lie). Though he did only get 11 points, all those rebounds, blocks, and assists do eventually get points for the team or avoid points for the other team. My two grips so far (1) Asik and Harden need to have a better handle of the ball and (2) this Harden iso deal is getting old (I know the game is over once it's close game and Harden is at it).

14. Akim523

Akim523 Member

You want a franchise PG but 8 million dollars a year ain't gonna get you nothing.

Get real.

15. just a word

just a word Member

...dude, so what you're saying is even with a usage of less than 20% Lin is giving us 11 assists?

And about 2.5 TO / 2.5 steal so the TO practically doesn't matter?

WHAT THE HELL.

I mean scaled upwards, if Lin's usage is ~20% that means about 12.6 Ast, 25% about 15.7.

FIFTEEN.

How in the world is Morey not in coaches' ear about this??

For reference a sortable list of PG with USG rating: http://insider.espn.go.com/nba/hollinger/statistics/_/position/pg

The average range of the top 10 in PER is 21% to 27%, with two outliers of Kidd at 11% and Kyrie at 29.8. Of the 68 PG, Lin is currently at #44 in terms of USG.

Brian Jennings at #20 is at 23%, Lillard is #18 23.9%.

1 person likes this.
  16. muas2010

muas2010 Member

I believe and hopeful, that soon, the coaches will recognize that Lin needs to run the show for the team to start winning consistently. No doubt Harden is your best player on the court, but things just runs better when Lin is running the floor. Lastly, you always close all games with your best players on the court.

17. awarde2

awarde2 Member

If they let Lin play point, Harden wouldn't have to work so hard to score points, because Lin would get him those open looks.

18. kent335

kent335 Member

I wonder if Kelvin Sampson had money on the game last night.

19. awarde2

awarde2 Member

probably did. In the small interview, I saw he looked like an idiot. Instead of talking about his players, he was talking about Batum(which he pronounced his name as batoon)LOL

20. Rocketman1234

Rocketman1234 Member

No one is saying he is a franchise player. He is a skilled player and its frustrating how the coaches are not putting him in a position to succeed