1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

ClutchFans Game Thread: Rockets @ Blazers 11/16/2012

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Nov 15, 2012.

1. FacePalmMaster

Yea I kno, just playing along silly ;)

2. Solidz75

Solidz75 Rookie

You said it. I don't think Sampson ever believed in Lin - which is really ballsy on his part, given that the front office obviously has a lot of trust in him to pay him that much money.

So, do you think Lin playing under these conditions, where his coaches don't have enough faith in him to leave him in a close game, that he can ever reach his potential?

3. me005

me005 Member

Great game. Our offense is clicking defense is not, gave away 111p in 4 qtrs.

Blazers players are damn long. Tough match up for us.

Harden still learning how to close games
    Lin still learning to shoot
    Asik still learning to catch the ball
    Coaching staff still have a lot of work to do
    Let's be patient...

Here we go vs Lakers Sunday

4. mike_lu

mike_lu Member

Let's take a step back and look at some of the positives.

Lin played a heck of a game, without needing to take a lot of shots. As a result, the Rockets offense flowed, and fast-break points came fairly easily. It looked a lot like the Knicks play when Carmelo and Amare was out, which was the overlooked part of Linsanity, and that is Lin made everybody around him better and got them great looks. And James Harden shot and looked better without needing to initiate the offense and be the primary ball handler.

And the simple adjustment? Let Jeremy Lin play PG and be the primary playmaker, with Harden the secondary playmaker. Worked well for both.

Asik showed us a few good moves and continued to shoot the FTs well. 16/16 night.

Harden looks like he can score efficiently without being the primary ball handler, so it's not an issue of Harden needs to do this to make him play well. In fact, the last 6 games before Portland showed Harden's efficiency takes a dive when he is the primary playmaker and iso option.

Marcus Morris continues to hit the big shots. His 3 looks really good, great form and arc. And he's a Philly guy, ain't no stepping away from the big shot.

Parsons was great also. He looks much improved shooting and finishing shots. Between Parsons, Lin and Harden, we're getting almost 16 rebounds per game, which is wonderful production for for your backcourt and 3.

The bad?

The Rockets look real bad when they stop moving the ball and go into iso or one-pass shoot offense. And that happens when Lin is off the floor. Toney Douglas isn't a better defender than Lin. Full Stop. He may put on more ball pressure, hustle, and look like a more flashy defender, but he is not a better defender. Look how Lin continued to funnel Lillard into contested space where Lillard has room to take a bad shot, but not a good one. Look how Lin played the help defense role and blocked two shots and disturbed the cutter into poor shots.

I don't want to say Sampson made a bad decision when he took Lin out first for defensive purposes late in game, and then for the whole OT. The synergy defensive stats this year don't back that up, Lin's defense vs Douglas's defense on Lillard this game doesn't back it up, and certainly Douglas's offense this game (vs last game) vs Lin's game tonight doesn't back it up. The problem isn't just the decision ... it is what it is. It is that there was no adjustment (perhaps stubbornness) when it obviously wasn't working. On BOTH ENDS. The Rockets offense certainly looked crap in OT, just hit-and-miss iso ball or one-pass and shoot. And on defense, Parsons was switching on Lillard PnR anyway, so Douglas wasn't defending Lillard.

Five minutes is a lot of time to be not playing someone setting up his teammates beautifully and playing very good defense throughout the game, to be replaced by someone who did neither throughout the game.

5. Entropy

Entropy Member

Agree completely, you nailed it.

6. FacePalmMaster

Sampson hacked into that twitter acct and posted that.

7. instar

instar Member

welp i saw the best offense flow for the rox tonite untill 3qr, so that's what i'm gon take from this game, or may we were just hot.

8. Entropy

Entropy Member

No. Which is why either Lin needs to be dealt, or the coaching staff let go.

9. shoops

shoops Member

I don't know what to think. Disappointing ending, but very much not unexpected. They were hot and we were doing much iso. Another closing meltdown by the Rockets...
    Taking Lin out killed the offense.

10. magnomonkey

magnomonkey Member

I'm super angry so I'm just going to state the truth. You're a r****d

11. JK1

JK1 Member

I thought I told you to STFU ?

12. Knickskiller

Knickskiller Member

:eek:
    +1

13. Entropy

Entropy Member

Go back to New York and join the rest of your class-less brethren.

14. Jet036

Jet036 Member

WTF is wrong with you? I understand you're upset but there's no place for talk like that on this forum.

15. IronicMan

IronicMan Member

I hope you're not serious. Lillard was quiet until the 4th, and when he went off, TD is the one who allowed him to get hot. And even if you think I'm wrong and Lin is really Lillard's b****, at least he is +5 on the court. He's doing something to offset his supposedly "terrible" defense.

16. hehsy5sy5

hehsy5sy5 Member

I agree. What the heck did we get Lin for if we're going to use him like this? Either Lin needs to be traded or allowed to be "free" or the coaching staff needs to be fired.

17. munco

munco Member

this is not correct. Lillard scored 11 points in the 4th quarter but I think only 6 were on Lin. Both Douglas and Lin were in the game at the same time.

I do 100% know that Lillard scored all 5 of his points in the OT over Douglas since Lin didn't play.

18. Entropy

Entropy Member

Whoops, this was meant for the other guy. But you need to chill as well.

19. tkrieger

tkrieger Member

It killed the defense too.

20. Entropy

Entropy Member

Go back to New York and rejoin the rest of your class-less brethren. If all you have to offer is to tell someone to "STFU Up" you're not needed here.