1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

ClutchFans Game Thread: Pelicans @ Rockets 10/17/2018

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Oct 15, 2018.

1. JW86

JW86 Member

Pelicans are a big team, so you can go small all you want, it showed and was predictable. Defense was nowhere in sight, how many times someone was wide open under the basket was crazy. Harden and Melo were very lazy defenders. Bzidelik gone might be the biggest thing that happened to us. Wake up call? Do we need one? MDA is not going to change, neither is Harden or Melo and I think you’ll see a less focused and defensive minded Harden from now on. We have serious issues and it starts with coaching.

Little Bit, cheke64 and PeterKingX like this.
  2. PeterKingX

PeterKingX Member

Coach and players always mention defense importance in the whole offseason, but they still played fuking air defense in opening night.
    Rockets fans are so embarrassed.

#1262 PeterKingX, Oct 18, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 18, 2018
    BigShasta and Ming The King like this.
  3. Jerry36

Jerry36 Member

The rockets need an athletic backup center . The rockets tallest players in rotation are 6'10 and 6'8. The guys on the bench are their first a reason, not that good.

PeterKingX likes this.
  4. bmelo

bmelo Member

At one point Mirotić had 6-6 3pt fg. If they space court like that for AD it's really difficult to defend with switches which leads to guards having to defend Anthony freaking Davis...

5. Zergling

Zergling Member

We played this rotation near the end of the 2nd quarter:

Harden, CP3, Gordon, Melo, Tucker

It was outscored by 10 and pretty much put the game out of reach. Horrific rotation and I don't know what MDA was thinking here.

BigShasta and bmelo like this.
  6. gogispade

gogispade Member

ashleyem and hakeem94 like this.
  7. bmelo

bmelo Member

yeah i had same thoughts watching this. seriously you go small ball against AD alongside smoking hot from permiter Mirotić?

8. BMoney

BMoney Contributing Member

I agree. Capela has to see more minutes. It's not just the nearly max contract- we otherwise have no shotblocking, or lob threats. This game reminded me of the start of McHale's last season.

9. PeterKingX

PeterKingX Member

We cant grab rebounds with that rotation.

10. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

It is weird that we apparently have no backup center.

11. farhen

farhen Member

at the end of the season game we all probably gonna look back on this game and laugh

DonKnock, BigShasta and hakeem94 like this.
  12. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

probably the worst coaching i've seen here since mchale got canned. pels were beating up on on our smallball lineups inside and pringles just kept switching everything leading to mismatch in the paint over and over, plus missed assignments galore. i've never seen a team get so many wide open layups in my life.

capela has looked awful (heavy & slow) since he got paid.

if i don't ever see mcw play in a rockets uniform again that will be a good thing. he's a mistake-a-minute player who can't shoot to save his life.

ennis simply doesn't have the quick feet necessary to be an elite defender.

the melo experiment will probably not end well. he really looks done unfortunately.

morey will have to make some roster adjustments

Little Bit likes this.
  13. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Worst home game in a long time. Given the hype and in front of a soldout crowd.

BigShasta likes this.
  14. Hakeemtheking

Hakeemtheking Member

Until they get this thing right, DEFENSE should be on each and every player's mind 1 through 12, includind the water boys.

Just make a concerted effort that points will not be given up this easily (Pelicans scored 70+ points in the paint!!!).

Players play, but I blame this whole fiasco squarely on the shoulders of our coaches -- just a total failure irt preparation. I like MDA, but stop making lame excuses for this loss.

bro2044 likes this.
  15. riko

riko Member

Jesus’s Christ that was putrid. When Harden was probably you’re best defender on the night you know you are in trouble. Hopefully that was just rust so let’s see how they respond in the La road trip

BigShasta likes this.
  16. TEXNIFICENT

TEXNIFICENT Member

A bad performance no doubt, but that was a collective loss.These guys looked old and slow. Everyone who wore a Rockets uniform embarrassed themselves so I'm expective a huge bounce back game in the next outing.

Crashlanded19, daywalker02 and Vivi like this.
  17. Theking

Theking Member

Which jersey?

18. hooroo

hooroo Member

Some posters here hate Bogut but he'd be a game changer even if it's just 8 mins per game.

19. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

We run back to - It's one game.

We'll turn the corner soon and be on the same page.

TEXNIFICENT likes this.
  20. Cstyle42

Cstyle42 Member

Dantoni realizing switching everything on defense is not the sole solution to playing great defense.