1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

ClutchFans Game Thread: Nets @ Rockets 1/13/2005

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Jan 13, 2005.

1. jlwee

jlwee Member

i agree yao needs his jumper back... heck... he even cant make his hook shots nowadays... i remembered reading some chinese post recently, a reporter asked yao what happened to his play recently. Yao answered he is just playing the way the team wants him to play. If this is true, kinda sad that his potential is definitely not fully utilised!!!!!

2. Kyrodis

Kyrodis Contributing Member

Yao had a horrible night shooting-wise, but how about these overlooked facts:

1. He had come off of three 20+ point games in a row before tonight.

2. This was the second game of a back-to-back after a tiring game against Dallas.

3. He stepped up his rebounding effort in the second half and came up with two key defensive rebounds at the end of the game.

4. He was playing with an official who reputedly hates him, but still managed to foul out his defender who got away with hacking all night.

Some of you are suffering from some serious tunnel vision if all you notice is Yao's offensive production. Isn't it uplifting at all that despite Yao's terrible offensive output and Tracy's sub-par game, we still managed to pull out a win?

3. judoka739

judoka739 Member

Agree 100%, but at JVG to the mix.

4. jopatmc

jopatmc Contributing Member

I agree with your points. The thing that disappointed me about Yao is he seemed resigned to the game not going his way. For instance when he would go up for the put back or the dunk/layup, he'd just thrust his arms up without even getting his feet off the ground or making an attempt to jump. ANd the guards were consistently stripping the ball from him. He's 7 6 and 300 pounds. He should be stronger than the majority of the guards in this league and be able to hold the ball and go up strong against them. He just seemed frail, lethargic, and weak tonight, very similiar to what he seemed when he was sick.

5. mogrod

mogrod Contributing Member

I agree! Yao has his many incosistent moments but he does what he can to help the team win. Despite his poor offensive night, he found ways to make plays down the stretch. You mentioned a few things but he also had a couple of decent blocks including one on Carter late in the 4th. Yao works very hard at becoming better, I think he is a little confused out there right now and has other factors (refs, new league rules, new teammates, etc) that have hindered him a little this season. IMO It will all click one day and he will be the player we all hoped for.

We played like crap, but found a way to win. Good teams do this and, hopefully, this is a sign of where we could be heading by season's end (being a good team).

6. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

THank god for Sura, and Howard stepping it up again tonight.

With out Sura we don't tie, with out howard we don't win.

I guess we finally got what we have been wanting, other players who can step it up when Yao and TMAC have off nights, Yao really stunk it up today.

7. Charvo

Charvo Member

That's messed up.

8. reptilexcq

reptilexcq Member

I believe Yao's inconsistently has to do with the team's offense though and how the play is run...wheather through him or not...ect.

9. Rockets2K

Rockets2K Clutch Crew

nope...the offense is the same as it has been in past games where Yao had good games...

he couldnt get position on Collins and that rookie...

he couldnt hold on to the ball when he got it...

he couldnt put it in the hole when he took the shot.

he couldnt put it in the hole when he was on the line...

the blaming of the teammates for Yaos inconsistency problems has gotten VERY old...

and noone but some of you hardcore Yao fans actually believes it anyway...so why dont we drop it.

10. Rockets2K

Rockets2K Clutch Crew

I'll take 20 and 11 as long as we have Tmac...and players with the guts and determination of a Sura...

ok...Yao had a bad game....I have no idea why...yes, some of the calls were downright PATHETIC...but the true players...the stars and allstars like I fully expect Yao to be have to overcome that.

Im just damn glad that we have players on our team that will step up and take care of business when we need them...

11. rocketloaf

rocketloaf Member

i don't post much, but i love the rockets.
    what i noticed about yao is that he starts slowly most games. even yesterday it took him a while to get into the groove.
    also, it's hard for him to get good shots because he doesn't always get the ball at the right time (when he's in good position). i'm not saying it's the other players fault, cause it's hard to pass over big athletic guys waving their arms, but that's the one of the problems that i see.
    what i noticed this game that actually made me happy was his lateral quickness on defense. he came out to double carter and kidd and actually stayed with them.
    i agree with almost everyone else; today he had a really bad game at the beginning (and his foul shots at the end didn't help), but i don't think the Rockets offense as a whole was exactly firing on all cylinders. if it wasn't for a couple of miraculous shots by Bobby Sura, and some horrible offense from the Nets (they just uglify basketball, don't they?) then this would have been a blow out.
    so, yeah, he played crappy and he has problems with turnovers, but he has played tough down the stretch of the games that i have watched.
    Also, i heard that he has an elbow injury from the summer which is affecting his shot. (i think they said it on espn last night).

12. franchise23

franchise23 Contributing Member

Well he took the elbow brace off his right arm a few games ago so i figure the injury is not bothering him too much any more or the brace would not have come off. Hopefully he can regain his shooting touch since his brace has come off.

13. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Dough Collins said that Ewing was Yao's mentor and was working with Yao on his turn around.

I'm blaming Ewing!

Remember the 1st Yao vs Shaq, and how Yao put out his repertoire?
    I want that Yao back!

14. chinese

chinese Member

Truely sad, now played this poor.
    Still remember that Yao used to hit turn-around and mid range jumper, quick foot work and Shanghai shake, now , those good things are all gone.
    He plyed simplely losing his skill.
    He plays more and more like someone, but not Yao we like to see.
    Yao wise up ! You are the uniqe one, you are not Shaq nor Patrik!

15. hikanoo49

hikanoo49 Member

he reminds me of Nesterovic now

16. ragingFire

ragingFire Contributing Member

This board is full of haters now.
    After a win and there are hardly 3 posts about how well Sura and Howard played. All you see is how bad Yao did.
    Yes Yao played a bad game but one comment on it from each of you is enough already. Let's also hear about Bobby and Juwan pls.

BTW, for whoever that complaint about the "touch fouls" that Yao commited. None of them was touch foul. Two were offensive fouls on seting pick. One was an offensive foul when he bumped Collins and threw a dunk down and Collins flopped. One was a border line blocking foul with Yao's feet near circle, it was body contact, no hand. The last foul was a reach over the back for an offensive board.

17. Horry

Horry Member

What do you guys think of this comment from T-Mac after the game:
    McGrady added, "Tonight he had it rolling offensively and was hitting some shots that I didn't think he was capable of hitting. He kind of reminded me of myself."

18. BlastOff

BlastOff Member

Yeah he's Me-Mac....Orlando was right about that. Probably the only thing about him that I find annoying.

19. tiger0330

tiger0330 Contributing Member

Adonal Foyle isn't even starting, no way Yao does't get a max contract with someone.

Yao had a bad game and I'm glad it was against a weak team like the Nets. He seems to get out of rhythm and loses confidence when he has a bad game, he becomes hesitant and aims his shots, you could see that on those missed free throws. Maybe a sports psychologist could help him overcome that. Anyway, he has a chance to redeem himself against the Spurs and the Rox are going to need all hands on deck for that one, hope T-Mac can play.

20. soupman

soupman Member

Regarding the earlier comments made on this board that YM will never be better than a 20 and 11 player (and therefore only marginally an all-star) I submit that Hakeem, arguably one of the best centers to play the game, was a lifetime 25 and 11 player. You folks are absolutely right. Trade him now!