1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

ClutchFans Game Thread: Mavericks @ Rockets 5/5/2005 (Playoffs Round 1, Game 6)

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, May 3, 2005.

1. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

From the espn recap ...

"Finley became the Mavericks' career leader in postseason games played with 49, surpassing Rolando Blackman and Derek Harper. ... Game 6 was the first time the team that outscored its opponent in the first quarter lost. ... Houston has an all-time record of 5-1 in Game 7s. "

There are many things to look into that paragraph:

1.) How SAD is the historical state of your franchise when your all-time greatest players won't ever even sniff the hall of fame. Seriously... does any NBA franchise have a more vapid or shallower history than the Dallas Mavericks? They might as well have been an expansion team to start the Cuban-era. (I'm not saying this to bash the current Mavs team... I just think its a waste that this team didn't really do squat until 6 years ago... what a bunch of wasted years for all you Mavs fans who probably deserved a little better).

2.) We don't have to hear that crap about "if we lose the 1st quarter, we lose the game." Trends are made to be broken.

3.) The one series we lost a game 7 in... 92-93 aganst Seattle in OT. But, we've beaten Phoenix twice (94, 95), Seattle (97), the Knicks (94)... but what was our FIFTH win?

#961 Nick, May 6, 2005
    Last edited: May 6, 2005
  2. ocelot_ark

ocelot_ark Member

Most mavs fans, myself included, are incredibly disappointed in Dirk this series. I will say this, though. This is the first time he hasn't been stellar in the playoffs. Historically he scores MORE points in the playoffs...and grabs a lot more rebounds.

The thing that makes his struggles not AS discouraging is the fact that he has been contributing in other ways. Tonight, had he made 11-22, instead of 5-22...we're probably talking about one of his better games. He was great defensively and did a good job on the boards.

The thing that worries me about Dirk is his refusal to "truly" post up. His definition of a post up is around the elbow. He has a good post game...when he decides to use it. He has a few "Hakeem-esque" moves. He just never uses them. That's been his problem all year against smaller guys. When his jumpshot is on, it doesn't matter. When it's off, he just settles for a 15 foot fadeaway. Sure, it's an unguardable shot, but that doesn't mean it's a GOOD shot.

If the mavs were able to win game 7, I don't see Dirk's FG% improving against phoenix. Shawn Marion has given Dirk more trouble than anyone this year.

3. ocelot_ark

ocelot_ark Member

Forgive my bias. I don't realize I'm doing it. Could you please specifically point out the parts that are biased?

I saw Dirk drive the lane. Shoot a layup. Get contact. Fall to the ground...about 3 times tonight without a call. Was it a foul? Nope. Cause they didn't call it. The thing that is impressive is the fact that he manages to get back on defense and not stand their and...gasp...whine. (j/k)

And actually. No. I wouldn't want my coach to do what JVG did. Don Nelson had no shortage of tyrades. I hated it. Be a man...accept your losses. One converted layup, or pair of free throws sunk and the onus is off the refs.

4. AMS

AMS Contributing Member

I get scared every damn time the ball is in mike james hands, but today he really redeemed himself, still id rather see tmac handle the ball.

5. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

What you saw was one possession. I've seen that happened to the Rockets for 6 games now.

6. dabien1

dabien1 Member

We'll see what happens Sat. It has been a great series to watch regardless of the rivalry between us and the MAVS and MAVS fans.

However, don't compare Dirk to Hakeem. No one and I'll say it again NO ONE has EVER come close to the player HAKEEM WAS.

I really like DIRK as a person. I saw him on PUNK'D and he acted like a class guy.

But on the court, I really have lost respect for him as a player because of the ways he TRIES to FLOP to get the refs to give him freethrows.

YOu ask ANY sports analyst and they would all agree with that notion.

Players who FLOP all the time will NEVER win championships....that takes away from the integrity of the game of BASKETBALL and it definitely is NOT what CHAMPS are made of.

For more info: Look up Karla Malone.

7. BucMan55

BucMan55 Contributing Member

That pic of T-Mac doing the 3 sign is PROOF that the Refs were cheering on the ROckets. The official has his hands up in the air just like the rest of the fans!!

:eek:

:D

:p

8. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Funny enough, that's exactly what was said about the Hakeem baseline fadeaway... but those always seemed to drop when we needed them the most.

I agree with you about Dirk... he's always been great in the playoffs, which is why its pretty amazing to watch him just wilt out there right now. I counted 3 possesions in the first half where he had Bowen/Wesley/Barry on him (from a switch), and he still decided to fade away.

I've seen him shoot a hook shot occasionally... and we all know he'll get the foul if he drives it in.

I guess in the end, if I was a mavs fan, I'd be wondering if the Steve Nash-Dirk pick and roll staple play was the real reason he was able to boost his production int he playoffs... because right now, he cannot carry a team with his "assortment" of moves.

Getting to the FT line is one thing... but for some reason, that doesn't feel like domination... even if somebody shoots 30 FT's. There's something about making shots in a guys face, quieting the standing crowd with a field goal, going mano-e-mano with the other team's superstar.... Dirk not only hasn't done any of that, it doesn't even seem like he WANTS to do that towards the end of these games.

9. dabien1

dabien1 Member

I agree on the freethrows part. Trust me, all of the Rocket fans are quite disappointed in the freethrow shootings as of late.

Freethrows can make or break a game.

10. white lightning

white lightning Contributing Member

I believe it was against the Spurs (at San Antonio) in '81 in the second round, on the way to our first Finals.

11. BucMan55

It seems Dirk's biggest moment in the series came on a follow up after Yao contested a lay-up. Was a great play for the Mavs, but its not quite the same as going up with a hand in your face and hitting the jump shot to win the game/force overtime.

(of course blowing a follow up shot like that is alot worse, just ask the guy for the Suns who had a chance on a tip in against Houston to win the game and missed it)

12. ocelot_ark

ocelot_ark Member

The Nash thing was disproven in the regular season, imo. Dirk's just shooting horribly right now. That's the only thing that's separating him from TMac. They are both driving the lane at around the same frequency. The difference is that JVG has utilized the pick and roll and the Mavs have to either play underneath (leaving TMac open for the pullup) or jump it (which makes the defense rotate, leaving Sura/James/Barry/Wesley wide open for three's). Dirk just hasn't had an abundance of good looks. I, and a few like me, believe that AJ is doing little to fix this problem. During the regular season you used to see Dirk coming off of picks at least 5 times a game. You might see it 2 times a game this series.

Anyway...good luck on Saturday (as in, no injuries :D). I'm going to bed.

13. dabien1

dabien1 Member

By the way the one guy that has killed us in this series has been JT and Stack(to a lesser extent)

They've really stepped up in the playoffs. I'm just amazed at the lackluster play of Dirk.

14. ocelot_ark

ocelot_ark Member

Just a reminder. Before TMac won game 2, Dirk tied it with TMac in his face.

G'night.

15. dabien1

dabien1 Member

That guy was Stephen Hunter....Thank you very much:p

16. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Tequila and Rocket victory is good. Okay maybe the tequila isn't so good.

17. BucMan55

Ah, true on that one. Tough shot he hit too. Sucks for him that he was out-done by T-Mac on the next posession. Which is why I thought the follow shot in game 5 was more of a defining moment as it signified their win.

18. slowmustang

slowmustang Member

Sorry if this was already posted.....but did anyone catch Stackhouse's interview? He just said "Barry is a garbage player." Along with some other stuff......Sure talked alot of trash.

19. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

)
    What does he have against Barry... its gotta be something.

Earlier in the series, he was complaing that Barry shouldn't be dancing and all because Jon had only won one playoff series before. But funny enough, Stackhouse has only won one playoffs series before... and it was when he was on the same team as... gasp... Jon Barry!

They clearly don't like each other off the court... because they never really are guarding one another on the court (unless it was Stackhouse that was leaving him wide open for all those 3's... :D )

20. hotballa

hotballa Contributing Member

Who has Dirk been great in the playoffs against? Peja? Cmon now, TMac is the real deal