1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

ClutchFans Game Thread: Mavericks @ Rockets 4/28/2005 (Playoffs Round 1, Game 3)

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Apr 26, 2005.

1. almostReady

almostReady Member

Rockets lose this one by 15 points.

I really hope that turns out to be an moronic prediction. Rockets, please prove it that I am an idiot!

2. m004378

m004378 Member

Are u RoXoR? i think u did a great job in pissing mav's fan in their own bbs site:D . Please do the same in Sun's fan site when we meet them next week.:D

3. Plowman

Plowman Member
    Supporting Member

The Mavs won't win a game.The LAST game was a must win for them.Our Rockets are dialing it way up to contend for the whole enchilada.

4. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

game 2 was their game to win....they didn't pull it out. now JVG made changes that will help us, and they won't shoot 70% from the 3pt line again.

we win game 3!

ROX:110
    mavs:105

GO ROX!!!!

5. aaaccchhhooo

aaaccchhhooo Member

is it 8pm yeT? damne 13 more hours

6. gifford1967

gifford1967 Member
    Supporting Member

7. meh

meh Member

I'm not sure you're getting the point. So which game is game 3 more important than? Game 1? Had the Mavs won that game, and the Rockets take game 3, are the Rockets any better off? What about game 4? If the Mavs lose game 3, but somehow pull off game 4, would they be less confident in game 5 because they thought, "Oh crap, we lost game 3, so therefore we must have no chance."

If you're going to say one playoff game is more important than another, give a good reason. Start off by saying, "I would rather win game __ and lose game __ than the other way around because..."

8. warbirdzone

warbirdzone Member

Damn it..... can we make the clock go faster? I can't wait for the game to start already. :eek: :eek: :eek:

9. GATER

GATER Member

If all games are equally important, why is it so difficult to come back from a 3-0 deficit? Using your logic, it should be just as easy to win Games 4-5-6 & 7 as it is Game 2-3-5-7. IMHO, you're totally discounting both psychology and the stats. Especially the one that says the winner of Game 1 wins a 7 game series 75% of the time. Game 1 clearly has an unequal emphasis.

I don't know what the stats are, but I'd be willing to make a tip jar bet that a 3-0 team wins a 7 game series substantially more than often than a 2-1 team.

10. meh

meh Member

The game 1 winning % stat is pointless. Teams that win game 1 win many more series because most of the time, they're better than their opponents. Not because there's something magical about game 1 that sets up the rest of the series. The Heat and the Pistons didn't kill their opponents in game 2 because they won game 1. They did so because they are much superior than Philly/NJ.

Teams can't come back from 0-3 deficit for two reason. One, if you're done 0-3, it usually means the other team is simply superior than you. Two, even if you are a superior team, winning 4 straight games is quite difficult against playoff competition. Especially if that team is good enough to beat you 3 straight times.

Yeah, no kidding. I thought I made that pretty clear. Game 3 is important alright. But the question was, whether it was more important than any other playoff game. I'm not saying the Rockets should lose this game. Just that they should view this game as any other playoff game. That is, give the very, very best effort.

11. GRENDEL

GRENDEL Member

I totally agree about tonites game being huge, to use the boxing analogy, the game tonite could be the knock out punch, right now the Mavs knees are wobbling badly, after the game 2 loss, so there is no reason to give them any renew hope, it's time to take them to the canvas and not let them recover.

12. RocketManJosh

RocketManJosh Member

We can not allow the Mavs to win this game, get back in the series, and gain any confidence. 3-0 Sounds a hell of a lot better than 2-1.

Rox 104
    Mavs 97

Go Rox!!

13. Summer Song Giver

Each and every game from here on out is the most important game of the year. The one they are about to play has to be considered the most important.

14. GRENDEL

GRENDEL Member

15. thanwu

thanwu Member

It is a must win situation for the rockets. We will be alright as long as Yao is away from foul trouble and TM palys as what he did in Game 1 and 2.

Go Rockets!!!!!

16. GATER

GATER Member

Weighted in favor of the better seed but hardly pointless. At what point does seeding not matter? The Nuggets are a 7 seed. Clearly, the Spurs are better. Oh, wait...the Nuggs won Game 1.

You tell me at what point seeding becomes irrelevant and I'll make a tip jar bet with you. IMO, the stat is better than 65% even for 4-5 seeds.

Again you've totally discounted psychology. You don't think the Mavericks thought they were the better team when it was 0-0? What has changed when they're 0-3? What will be the Mavs psche at 1-2? Vastly different from 0-3.

All games are important from a preparation standpoint. That's not what's at issue here. What most people are keying on and you're totally ignoring is the "feel" factor of going into Game 4 3-0 vs 2-1. (Or for DAL 0-3 vs 1-2). It's as if you were a parent with 4 kids. They're all important. But they are all different.

IMHO, you're just holding a "Party Line" 'cause you painted yourself into a corner and want to defend it. :D

17. Texas Stoke

Texas Stoke Member

As the season winded down, the Rockets finally, finally, started to shoot the ball well at home. They won't forget how hot they were at home there toward the end. I feel Mcgrady will go for 40 plus in one of these two home games, maybe both of them.

Mcgrady goes for 42 tonight and the Rockets pull away late.

Rockets 108 Mavs 99

18. roxgirl

roxgirl Member

Now i know we aren't the best home team in the league, but I didn't know that 26-15 was bad. almost the same as 25-16 on the road. Tells me that venue doesn't matter. deja vu, I think i've said this before.

I do think this game is crucial. We worry of a win and the team being focus and humble. I hope they can handle a loss well too. To not let it discourage them. I have confidence in them.

19. meh

meh Member

Ok, I'll make this nice and simple. Because it's kind of hard to get a big point across through simply writing. And the major points get lost with the minor ones.

Just answer this simple question. Which game you would rather lose in order to win game 3? Game 1? 2? 4? 5? 6? 7? Actually, if you truly believe that game 3 is the most important game of a 7 game series, then you should have an explanation for ALL other games I just mentioned.

Oh, you can't say you won't risk any other wins. Because that would inherently imply that all games are worth the same in the playoffs.

20. Visagial

Visagial Member

For the conspiracy theorists out there, it occurs to me that the officiating might start going our way. I know the league probably wants to extend the series, but the Rockets are the hottest ticket so far in what is otherwise a boring first round for the league. Stern has to know the microscope is on this series, and the league has a lot to gain by keeping Yao and Tmac in the playoffs for as long as possible. Yao is already a marketing juggarnaut and Tmac could be the league's next MJ.

I say the calls start going our way.