1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

ClutchFans Game Thread: Mavericks @ Rockets 4/28/2005 (Playoffs Round 1, Game 3)

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Apr 26, 2005.

1. ctry2582

ctry2582 Member

I'm not feeling too bad.

Sure, it would have DEFINITELY nice to go up 3-0, obviously.

And if it wasn't for that HORRIFIC 4th quarter, the Rockets should have in fact, went up 3-0.

I mean, the FT disparage aside, the Rockets were up 8 with like 9 minutes to go.

Hit a couple shots, and it's ball game.

They couldn't throw the ball into the ocean, if they wanted to. T-Mac was shooting something like 90% from the stripe, but misses TWO freethrows? :eek:

The Rockets just let this game slip away.

I feel pretty good for Game 4.

2. Rocket104

Rocket104 Member

Shots come and go for both teams...

Where is Houston's defense? It was scary watching the lack of rotation during the game... and how many times was JVG yelling for the double-team on Dirk? Does he have to do that? Were players heads' (specifically Yao in this case) not in the game?

If Dallas keeps scoring the way they are, the series will be tied 2-2. We have yet to see the Rockets play a full game on both ends of the floor.

Whether they'll ever do that...

and please stop with the idiotic hand gesture, turn around, and get back on D.

3. dabien1

dabien1 Member

I could care less if the MAVS were #1 in the NBA. I'll never respect that REGULAR SEASON built team. They will never win a championship either...just the way it is.

I just thought that the Rockets were 4-0 good. I thought the ROX were THAT GOOD to take the MAVS. A loss (let alone one like tonight at home) is just totally unacceptable.

4. JunkyardDwg

JunkyardDwg Member

Eh...maybe they just wanna do things the hard way.... either that or they got scared going up 3-0 would maybe, possibly, even for a fraction of a second, put a smile on Grumpy's face... can't have that now can we :p

5. dabien1

dabien1 Member

Why do you feel good about game 4? Aren't you concerned that what happened this game would be a negative domino effect breakdown continuing in the next game? (I hope not by the way)

6. ctry2582

ctry2582 Member

Ehh, it happens.

If they lose Game 4 though..................

7. AMS

AMS Member

i mean why does foul trouble scare us soo much, so what yaos got 3 in the 2nd quarter, let him get #4, then you can see what your bench can do for you. Atleast your gunna play your heart out, and even seek revenge for that retarted call. But when you play with the fear of foul trouble, all that gives room to is easy layups and uncontested jump shots.

8. dabien1

dabien1 Member

Once again, WHY DID WE NOT PLAY THAT WAY 2night???? WHY LOSE ONE AND THEN DO IT SAT???

Besides, who's to say that they won't be hot on Sat? What can JVG tell them differently going into game 4 that he didn't already tell them going into 2night's game?

9. ctry2582

ctry2582 Member

Not really.

The Rockets just let this slip away.

They had the game in the bag, then all of a sudden just couldn't knock down shots. As for the domino effect carrying over? Ehh, I'm not too concerned. If anything, Game 4 now puts things in a new light for the Rockets. They do not want Dallas to tie the series back up, going back to Dallas for Game 5.

We can see how this Rockets team responds, whether they're contenders or pretenders.

PS - Say Dallas happens to win Game 4.

What would that mean?

The home team couldn't hold serve..at all.

That would look good for Houston going into Game 5. :p

10. dabien1

dabien1 Member

So if the ROX lose game 4, none of think the ROckets can bounce back and win huh?

11. Rocket104

Rocket104 Member

Oh yeah - where was Mutombo tonight? Was something wrong, or was he just kept out because of the smallball Mavs lineup? (Stupid TNT and the Heat 2OT game...)

12. YallMean

YallMean Member

Dallas early success in shooting long range bombs got us scared. But we still got to swarm Dirk relentlessly, becuase he will make poor decisions. We were a bit tentative. Yao didnt want to leave Damp, I didnt understand it.

13. ctry2582

ctry2582 Member

Of course they can.

Just would be severely disappointing if they lost Game 4.

14. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

He was called for 3 quick fouls in the first half (2 of which were utter bullshht) and was hesitant to go after rebounds or come within 7 feet of a Mavrick for the rest of the game.

15. KeepKenny

KeepKenny Member

Can someone clarify whether Yao's 2nd foul was legit? Van Horn drives, Yao blocks his weak shot out of bounds, foul called. It seemed unbelievable from my angle, maybe Yao breathed on him wrong. 3rd foul was obviously bogus. Yao stands under basket with hands up, player jumps into him. What has the world come to when Yao gets screwed at home like this? Oh, wait, its just another game for my good ole rockets.

Knew the turning point was when KVH got hurt. That guy is such a joke. We dare him to shoot and he won't. When he does, he bricks it badly. Every single point he got was from completely bogus fouls. Don't ask me what this guy has done to get any kind of respect from the refs, cause right now i'd take Body over him. One play that infuriated me was Deke's looseball foul over Van Horn. If the mavs want to play Keith Van Horn as a center, then we are gonnna jump over him for boards. That's how it works. In game 2, they had Damp over everyone's backs all night long. Nothing to complain about really, Yao was on the perimeter, and we're trying to box him out with jon barry.

Finley is mugging Tmac all night long, yet we can't touch Dirk, Stack, Devin frikkin Harris, without getting into the penalty in 3 minutes. Go to hell refs, we're winning this series without you.

16. dabien1

dabien1 Member

So what the heck can JVG do to adjust for game 4? I mean why didn't he better prepare for it this game?

17. ctry2582

ctry2582 Member

DID YOU WATCH THE GAME?

IT WOULD HAVE BEEN NICE TO GO UP 3-0, AND THEY WERE ON THE VERGE OF DOING THAT.

FOR SOME REASON, THE SHOTS JUST DIDN'T GO DOWN IN THE 4TH, AND THE GAME SLIPPED AWAY.

IT HAPPENS.

THIS IS THE PLAYOFFS. NOT EVERYBODY JUST SWEEPS ON THROUGH TO THE FINALS.

TEAMS WILL GET TESTED.

YOU'RE ACTING AS IF WE'RE DOOMED.

WE'RE STILL UP 2-1.

LIKE I SAID, IF WE LOSE GAME 4, THEN IT'LL BE TIME TO START FEELING A BIT ANTSY.

CALM DOWN. BREATHE.

18. real_egal

real_egal Member

Easy to say than to do. Yao is no Shaq, you don't dare the refs. Those F@$%4 morons will foul him out in the second quarter. Then, what are you going to do? Play Deke 30 mins staight? But one thing I am not too comfortable with is our defense in the series. Where did it go? We had Yao running out to guard PnRs, guard Howard and run back, how many easy dunks did we give up? Remember the Sun game? JVG asked Yao to park in the paint. Look at the difference. Yao was running like crazy, even on fast breaks. Those two missed opportunities by Sura and Wesley are really unforgivable. As hard as Yao ran in the 4th, he didn't get one play called for him, and didn't get anything from the guards. I just think you have to pound on Dallas, and make them play defense, instead of hoping they miss some 3s. If you let them shoot, they will make them. We have to be honest, they are good, very good, offensively. So we have to make them play defense. Shooting 3s is just way too easy for them, especially when those 3s are not falling.

19. dabien1

dabien1 Member

I'm actually more annoyed than concerned. The Rockets somehow always show me something spectacular after a disappointment (which is a good thing NOW i guess).

When we were up in the 4th, there was no reason for us to be Jacking up those jumpers, should have posted YAO up and gone from there. I just dont' know why JVG didn't do that.....SO SIMPLE.

20. YallMean

YallMean Member

What did we do in game 1,2? I didnt see us doing that tonight. Defense effort was different tonight. We have been playing like this all year long at TC. I just dont know what gives. Crowd to blame?