1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

ClutchFans Game Thread: Mavericks @ Rockets 12/22/2023

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Dec 21, 2023.

1. j@amc

j@amc Member

In the last couple of games, Jalen has been more active on the defensive side of the ball: better contests on jump shots, deflections, etc. He still gets run over by others going to the bucket. He doesn't have the strength (yet) to make strong contests at the glass. And when he drives, it's 50/50 whether he will lose the ball vs. getting a shot up. He doesn't see the passing windows. And he doesn't have the base to shoot from the perimeter. Thirty-two minutes a night grinds him down.

It was interesting to hear lme talking after the game about all the wings in front of Cam on the depth chart: Tate, Tari, and Jabari.

Does he see Cam as a forward? While he can currently play and guard that position, I'm leaning toward seeing Cam as a future 2-guard. He can use his size and athleticism from that position to affect the game. But as a 3-guard/forward, he's a bit lost in the mix. While he's more offensive-minded/aggressive than Tate, Cam isn't able to bring enough team defense to stay on the court.

That said, Cam is a difference-maker, even with small things. In throwaway minutes, he still picked up 5 deflections, 4 boards, and 2 steals. And he's barely scratching the surface of the kind of defensive force that he can be.

ramotadab likes this.
  2. Downtown Sniper

Downtown Sniper Contributing Member

Clutchfans really living proof that people are trying to speak things into existence.

I've seen twice in the past two games - Jalen involved in the action around the perimeter - and Sengun has backed away from his man to allow Jalen to get through the gap unimpeded to get to his man.

Jalen has both times instead decided to go around the player.

You cannot make this stuff up with him. He is a putrid defender still after 3 years.

How in 3 years of professional basketball is there someone who does that?

Just for fun - how many players started out at the perimeter last night with Jalen defending them, and ended up in the key?

3. j@amc

j@amc Member

Please don't take my one sentence out of context!

Jalen is a poor individual and team defender who leaves his teammates with impossible problems all the time. Sengun does have his own mental lapses, as pointed out by lme in the press conference footage. They are both 21 years old. (Think Juniors in college) Give them time.

My only positive encouragement for Jalen is that his closeouts and contesting of jump shots have been better in the last couple of games. That is all I'm saying. There's very little (if anything) else to praise.

Downtown Sniper likes this.
  4. cheke64

cheke64 Member

I Harden the game at halftime. How did Cam do?

5. jim1961

jim1961 Member

He is trying to give Jalen every chance possible. I admire him for that and agree that is what he should do, up to a point.
    But Ime and the FO have to have a certain point where they change this strategy. While developing Green is important, its not more important than what the team needs.

#865 jim1961, Dec 23, 2023
    Last edited: Dec 23, 2023
  6. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

A developed Green IS what the team needs. If he can’t be developed then they either have to develop Cam into the role or trade for a shooting guard. It’s obvious that Ime sees this and is going to keep encouraging Green to be aggressive. With a consistent 3 point shot, Jalen becomes a powerful tool in our offense. He is drinking from a fire hose, trying to learn a new offense and defense so patience is key. All that being said, if he can’t become a consistently good 3 pt shooter, he will be a bench player.

Ancient Moabite likes this.
  7. jim1961

jim1961 Member

A developed 2 guard is what the team needs and that may or may not be Green.

But my larger point is everyone has a clock. Every guy who needs development, gets time to do so.
    But not an endless amount of it. Its finite.

A guy who is helping you to lose more than he is helping you to win is definitely on a clock.
    What neither you nor I know is what time Green's clock says at this point and how much time he has left on it.

8. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Luka back and they score 133......what the hell.

Exum 7-7. Dodged sth there.

9. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Great IQ Jalen. Jock is the guy you get the ball too in the clutch

HardenReturns likes this.