1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

ClutchFans Game Thread: Mavericks @ Rockets 1/4/2021

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Jan 3, 2021.

1. Milos

Milos Member

Those disgusted looks from our incumbent 'leaders' are reciprocated by thousands in this city every time Harden:
    - gets burned backdoor baseline for a layup
    - barely crosses half court for entire OFF possessions spent sulking
    - directs entire possessions where no one else touches the ball and it never crosses the 3pt line

I'm convinced this breakup is inevitable and best for all involved in the long run (even if it's really going to hurt saying goodbye)

You cannot overthrow a dictator (used to years of unchallenged, unilateral decisions) by asking him to change his ways ...
    There must be a complete regime change to make meaningful progress

Fortunately, most of the key figures are already exiled
    We are stuck w Tilman (until bankruptcy), but most of the Harden regime is gone

I like that Silas has chosen a team-first philosophy and he deserves a roster of guys who are all bought in, play together enthusiastically, and embrace team above self
    (Boogie Cousins setting a good example with his attitude and effort ... Only in 2020)

I love the idea of combining the other 3 you mentioned into 1 core addition (making approx $25M)

A separate Harden deal then nets you:
    - another new 'core' player
    - replacement roster depth with extra, smaller pieces

You deal 1 superstar + 3 rotation guys to acquire 2 new stars + 2 new role players

I've been fixated on a 3way deal to get Jaylon & MPJ (stars not superstars) + Gary Harris & Lou Will (roles) ... but ...

Perhaps Ainge will stubbornly refuse again, and the best 2 new 'stars' we can hope for are Heild & MPJ ..? (ESPN Trade Machine here I come)

I have come around to the idea of trading off elite-but-topheavy/disgruntled/old/onedimensional for great-but-balanced/committed/young/wellrounded

Rings are won with superstars, but unfortunately we got one of the rare exceptions that refuses to commit to 2way excellence (if LeBron/AD/Kawhi/KD etc can play both ends with equal effort, so can you James)

I cannot wait to cheer for a Rockets team built around leaders who play full 94 feet every possession and embrace versatility as a strategic advantage again

Even if it costs us a legendary talent Houston may never see again

2. D-rock

D-rock Member

Best defenders have been EGo and surprisingly, Boogie.

Worst defensively: Danuel House
    Worst offensively: PJ Tucker

Best offensive player, and it's not even close, is James Harden.

Zero surprise there.

#1802 D-rock, Jan 5, 2021
    Last edited: Jan 5, 2021
    Reeko, s3ts and ak99999 like this.
  3. Milos

Milos Member

I've got one!!!
    Jaylon would be perfect fit at SF, but Heild has few peers from deep

HOU:
    MPJ (plus conditional FFRPs as back injury protection)
    Heild (finally an elite shooter on the wing)
    Harris (2way vet starter)
    RJ Hampton (basically another FRP)
    Nnaji (or other filler from Nugs)
    1 more FFRP from DEN

DEN:
    Harden
    House
    Parker

SAC:
    EGo
    PJ
    Barton

New Rockets:
    Wood / Boogie
    MPJ / Tate
    Heild / Nwaba
    Harris / BMac
    Wall / Hampton

We would then need to pickup a vet combo guard from the buyouts to run point and replace EGo ... Unless RJ proves he is ready for the role

DEN gets the prize
    Harden + Joker + Murray could vault them atop the West
    MPJ, Barton, Harris, is a modest price to pay, so they make up the difference in picks (RJH + FFRP + conditionals)

SAC brings in 3 vets to teach the kids how to win
    They've been shopping Buddy anyway ... EGo is not a drastic downgrade overall and is cheaper
    PJ is a big upgrade from Jabari on expiring that can help the playoff push
    Barton is a great freebie that pushes the deal past the goal line ... another solid 2way vet to deepen the bench

#1803 Milos, Jan 5, 2021
    Last edited: Jan 5, 2021
  4. D-rock

D-rock Member

"Even if it costs us a legendary talent Houston may never see again"

Holy shet, post is hilarious AF!!!

Even if unintentional.

Invisible Fan and HP3 like this.
  5. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

sounds appealing, thank you for the good post!

Rockets4Life13, D-rock and Milos like this.
  6. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

who is this guy? can you give some potential names?

i suppose he has to have a 3pt shot, no ?

well then it gotta be an all star and i think we have no assets to trade for an allstar

Rockets4Life13 and D-rock like this.
  7. Milos

Milos Member

I forgot to mention the best part of this deal (for Tilman) ...

We save about $18M dollars on 2021 payroll by shipping out $70M while taking back only $52M

Stone might get sexually assaulted by his boss when he reveals this cherry on top

8. Milos

Milos Member

Sometimes relationships just run their course over time

She may be your perfect dream girl, but if she's already stepping out looking for better options ...
    What choice do you have but to accept it's over and make the best of it by moving on?

You can waste time in denial fighting to save something that's doomed bc you can't let go of the perfect 10 you will never find again ...

Or you can look for a solid rebound 6/7 as a temporary placeholder until the next knockout comes along

In the end, if one party clearly has one foot out the door already, you're better off accepting the reality you did not choose but cannot change and focusing on the good times you were lucky enough to share together

hakeem94 likes this.
  9. D-rock

D-rock Member

Another male-female date analogy, this board must be sexually frustrated AF.

Invisible Fan and hakeem94 like this.
  10. Rockets4Life13

I'd like Kawhi Leonard, surely the Clippers would take Bruno Caboclo, Clemons and 1 FRP (maybe 2 if they are stubborn). I could throw in my half finished bag of doritos aswell, but lets play hardball with them!

hakeem94 likes this.
  11. Milos

Milos Member

The sporting fanbase - franchise player is a relationship based primarily on emotional connection (real or perceived), and it is inherently finite
    There are not many in life like it

Most other impermanent connections can be severed dispassionately, and most emotional relationships are involuntary (significant other is the only family you choose)

Seems silly to compare this situation to replacing your CPA or saying goodbye to a retiring coworker

I suppose the best analogy may be that of a beloved pet ...
    You knowingly and willingly become emotionally invested even though you know from day 1 the end will be difficult and come too soon

If you are convinced James Harden retires a Rocket years from now ... I'll take that action

Either way, I'm a Rockets fan
    Harden is rare, but he is neither the most gifted (Tmac) nor the greatest (Dream) player to suit up for my team
    He defined the Rockets for a bittersweet decade, but his legacy is more about individual than team greatness

Personally I'll be sadder to see JJ Watt and George Springer suit up for someone else
    I never doubted either was giving all-out effort every single second they were on the field, and they were the heart and soul of their teams

Phrases like 'all-out effort' & 'heart and soul' are not among the first that spring to mind for me when describing Harden's run in Houston (except his bottle-service patronage)

I personally do not associate NBA basketball with sexual arousal so I will leave that to you, Freud & Jung

Rockets4Life13 and hakeem94 like this.
  12. D-rock

D-rock Member

LOL

You do make me laugh, I'll give you that.

13. BasketMAD

BasketMAD Member

Keep going, homer.

14. BasketMAD

BasketMAD Member

You can't just pick and choose based on what makes the Rockets look better, as much of a fan as you are. Either the Warriors' offense was much better without Durant's ISO or the Rockets embarrassed themselves once again in the Playoffs when they had an opportunity against an injured team (they were effectively tied in game 5 when Durant went down; so they had 2 opportunities).

15. HP3

HP3 Member

LOL okay bro its YOU who can't pick and choose what makes the Warriors look better. I can actually use nuance and I literally just presented you a similar situation from two years ago. Were the Spurs better with Kawhi, no. Are the Warriors better without Durant...that's also a no. But also i can use this thing called "context" to tell you that Draymond, Klay and Curry are still a core of a 73 win team. I can also tell you that them stealing a close game isnt so awful and I can tell you that if we replayed that series without Kevin Durant we would win(or if we had any wing depth or Chris Paul doesnt perform well below his usual self). There you go. I hope that got through.

16. J.R.

J.R. Member

17. TimDuncanDonaut

Refs does have it out for him. It is what it is.

D-rock likes this.
  18. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

you are a great writer should increase your post count

Milos likes this.
  19. BasketMAD

BasketMAD Member

Whatever helps you sleep at night. "If we get another opportunity to beat an injured team, this time we'll do it...if we have the talent to trump any potential embarrassment."

20. HP3

HP3 Member

Mhmmm this is what I thought.