1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

ClutchFans Game Thread: Mavericks @ Rockets 1/4/2021

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Jan 3, 2021.

1. JW86

JW86 Member

Well yeah, Wood is weak, we are undersized, rookies and we were never good at boxing out before so Silas might need to wait until we get a tall PF again and maybe even more.

2. Dankstronaut

Dankstronaut Way, way out here.
    Supporting Member

I am as big of a Harden fan and defender as there is anywhere. I want this team to work, I want he and Wall to integrate their games together because I think they actually do fit. Wall can play defense and catch and shoot 3s respectably. He can also drive and facilitate but man, sometimes that means Harden needs to get down the court to the corner, let his teammates do work and be there to shoot the shot. What are we asking for, 5 possessions per game? It's telling to me that guys are starting to run past Harden bringing the ball up the court like damn man just run.

First couple games were the Harden show still. He's having trouble integrating his game with Wall, Gordon and Cousins.

jiggyfly, Milos and HP3 like this.
  3. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

As we've seen each season, it doesn't happen over night. Although with CP3, it just worked. Damn, I miss that 2017-2018 season.

Dankstronaut likes this.
  4. HP3

HP3 Member

If he's not in the corner, that's on Silas for not adjusting. This game it was not great and he definitely is at fault for that. But the last few games he has been deferring and moving. But anyone acting like the "offense" was so much better without him on the court for this game is someone i disagree with.

D-rock and Dankstronaut like this.
  5. Codman

Codman Contributing Member

Harden and Tuck don't have the time or patience for inexperience. Nor should they.

John Wall is exempt because he is playing his heart out through recovery, but Harden and Tuck's face showed the frustration of crappy rebounding, especially from guys you expect to rebound.

Christian Wood should NEVER be outrebounded by James. Never.

And, part of the reason he's looked so good is because James is the best in the league at throwing the off-foot lob in the lane. That's another part of James game that is underrated, along with his post defense, lane defense (steals, always) and rebounding for a guy unfairly known as just a "scorer."

Changes are coming, the chatter is loud, but it may not be James. Tuck is going to be rescued unless Tillman decides he wants to compete. House is going for next to nothing and once his numbers improve, Ego will be part of a larger move. Just the chatter.

If healthy, John Wall is a nice piece to root for (How could you not?). And, he didn't shoot 7-25 like Russ the other night. At least he doesn't force the issue just to force it.

I'm not hearing Philly in discussions atm. I'm hearing non-specific, with the exception of a bit of noise in SacTown. I think James knows he's not a piece to trade right now. He has to wait until a need opens, so that's where the frustration may be at. Philly is leading the East. Boston looks good. No major injuries and the Nets are going to gel shortly.

My personal hope is for Boogie to really be a leader and start being a force on defense and rebounding. We win last night without all those second shots and Tim Hardaway Jr. killing us off of second attempts.

If Boogie is healthy and can give the Rockets 10-12 ppg and 5-7 rpg, he'll be a huge boost. And, like Wall, I want him to return to form. He's a great guy personally.

Patience, lilbird20, Deuce and 11 others like this.
  6. HP3

HP3 Member

They better not trade Tucker. Ego is playing really well right now, him being part of a larger move as well as House is concerning. This doesnt sound like a team that is trying to win.

7. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

@Codman

Tuck/EGO/House/Ben McLemore for Harrison Barnes and Nemanja Bjelica?

Dankstronaut likes this.
  8. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

It's too bad Buddy Hield has a $24M cap hit this season, otherwise, Gordon/House would work plus an FRP. I guess you could ship Tucker out and get a three team trade going (thus saved), but I don't see how that helps Houston in the long term at all by losing three rotational players (as much as I dislike House, he is a rotational player).

Invisible Fan and HP3 like this.
  9. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

We need a 6'9'' forward with length, strength, quickness and defense. Hield isn't that guy.

D-rock likes this.
  10. Dankstronaut

Dankstronaut Way, way out here.
    Supporting Member

If Harden is stuck for the rebuild I feel for him, no star wants to spend their prime on a retooling roster. But he is indeed stuck and being traded to a similar situation can't be his top priority.

Contending teams that need Tucker?
    What would be an acceptable return for House?
    Gordon on the trade block for the 5th year in a row, anyone buying yet?

11. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

True, we also need shooting though.

We are a flawed team. Ugh.

12. D-rock

D-rock Member

Every CFer saying Harden is the problem is talking out of their ass.

They really need to learn basketball, even if just the frickin basics of the sport.

13. Htown's Finest

Supporting Member

Because Harden still wants out bro, that's what Codman is alluding to. And all of these guys are assets. No disrespect to the big homie Codman but most of what he is saying is pretty common sense, and that's why I believe Codman 100%. If Harden gets traded the Rockets are probably going full rebuild mode and going younger. Why hold on to these guys if they have value around the league and can net you some draft capital or get you some young good cheap guys on rookie contracts? Doesn't make any sense to be honest. Unlike the thinking of most here who would still want us to be at the luxury tax threshold with Harden gone and no way to actually contend for a title.

14. HP3

HP3 Member

If Harden is gone nothing matters anymore, their number one priority should be trying to get a winning team together right now to convince him to stay. We need to be looking like at least a top 3 seed, right now we look like 6-8 and its really infuriating. It's a short training camp though so the FO needs to give this more time and so does James.

D-rock likes this.
  15. SamCassell

SamCassell Contributing Member

If those guys are assets now, they will still be assets at the trade deadline. There's no need to start the rebuild in January. At least give the team a chance to build chemistry with each other and with the new coach before you tear it down.

HP3 likes this.
  16. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

trade.jpg

Verbal Christ likes this.
  17. D-rock

D-rock Member

ORL: Hield
    SAC: EGo, House + 2 Rockets FRP
    HOU: AG

*Rockets save $$ and open roster spot to sign either 6'6 Gerald Green, 6'6 Justin Anderson, 6'7 Ryan Broekhoff or 6'9 Jonah Bolden.

6'4 Wall/6'5 Brown/6'3 McLemore
    6'5 Harden/6'5 Nwaba
    6'5 Tucker/6'4 Tate
    6'8 AG/FA signing
    6'10 Wood/6'10 Cousins/6'9 Bruno

Trade Deadline Option: trade PJ + Clemons for Matisse Thybulle + FRP + cap savings.

hakeem94 likes this.
  18. D-rock

D-rock Member

3 team trade

19. Htown's Finest

Supporting Member

Understandable, and I don't think Stone is trying to tear the whole thing down today. I think it mainly depends if we can keep Harden and what player/pieces we get back if we do trade James. They'll move in the direction that the team is slated for in the future once everything has been determined.

20. D-rock

D-rock Member

EGo + 2 FRP

3 team trade would be best.

Option#1
    ORL: Oladipo
    IND: EGo, House, Clemons + 2 Rockets FRP + Magic FRP + TPE

Option#2
    ORL: Hield
    SAC: EGo, House + 2 Rockets FRP + TPE