1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA Play-In Tournament action live ...

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

ClutchFans Game Thread: Mavericks @ Rockets 1/4/2021

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Jan 3, 2021.

1. aliadiere25

aliadiere25 Member

It's fair enough. He didn't play well. But it's the same old posters who come in and state Harden is the reason why we lose every game. We even had certain posters stating Harden was the reason why we lost to the Lakers in the playoffs.

They're here for when he plays bad - which isn't that many games - but they're never here when he plays well.

jiggyfly, D-rock, Sonicbun8 and 2 others like this.
  2. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

Harden couldn't get passed scrubs..., his ankle clearly affected him.

D-rock and banzai like this.
  3. aliadiere25

aliadiere25 Member

Well.... I disagree about House, Nwaba, Tate, Brown being able to make their own shot. Heck, I don't even think Cousins or Gordon can do that all that well. They can maybe do it for a few plays, but there's no way they can do it throughout a whole game. Gordon scores most of his points from spot-up 3pt shots. Gordon also does a lot of dumb things when he actually does run the point. There's a reason why he doesn't do it more often. The only 2 that can make things happen on their own is Harden and Wall.

Just saying, if we trade Harden before the deadline, we won't make the playoffs with Wall running the point. Our team simply isn't good enough. Our defense is pretty terrible and we don't have the role players to score the points. Wall is a very good player, but he'd struggle with those role players. He's not that big of a scorer himself.

D-rock likes this.
  4. riko

riko Member

Yep this was alarming to see. The first two games he was getting by his man at will but tonight not only was he struggling to explode off the dribble, he had no lift on his shot.

5. Stephen_A

Stephen_A Member

I think he has tried. Needs to improve though. Again this can be corrected through physical training and coaching. And you’re right. Lastly, he needs to want it.

6. Htown's Finest

Supporting Member

Rewatching the game now, they are in the beginning of the second quarter. There is a distinct difference how the guys were moving without the ball when Harden was on the bench. Gordon just created a shot for Boogie, which he got ejected on that very play. I think the reason why you don't see it more is because is because Harden plays so many minutes and everyone just kinda gets out of his way so he can operate. But this team has some talent on it for sure, and I believe those guys can create their own shot that I named in the previous post. Of course they aren't James Harden for as creating their own shot for themselves or others, but who is? James is the best one on one player ever so it's not fair to compare the best ever to average NBA guys. Side note, when I raised my head up just now Gordon just created a shot for Wood on this play btw too lol. But back on topic, when Harden leaves we are going to struggle for sure depending on what we get back. Harden back in now on the rewatch and guys literally stop moving again lol, even Bill mentioned it. It's not rocket science bro...

Rockets4Life13 likes this.
  7. HP3

HP3 Member

Dude they were playing against bench players. The Harden 5-out lineup brought them back within 7 points. I really dont know which talent you are referring to? Eric Gordon and John Wall both get the ball pleny.

D-rock likes this.
  8. Htown's Finest

Supporting Member

Movement is movement, doesn't matter one way or the other. I'm going to rewind my DVR just for you HP3 lol. Now the Rockets were down by 12 going into the second quarter. We got the deficit down to 6 points 40-34 was the exact score. At the 7:53 mark Harden comes back in. He stays in for the remainder of the second quarter and the deficit went back up to 12. The ball movement was so good before Harden came back in that as Harden was checking back in Bill says I hope the offense doesn't get stagnant with Harden. After Harden is back in Bill and Bull both comment on how someone other than Harden has got to make something happen. The movement went from back door cuts, pin downs, and rim runs when Harden was out, to everyone standing around and watching Harden dribble. Feel free to rewatch the game yourself and tell me what happened otherwise in that second quarter.

Rockets4Life13 likes this.
  9. Little Bit

Little Bit Member

Harden shouldn’t be blamed for this loss but he shouldn’t get a pass because of his ankle. If he’s too hobbled to play then he needs to sit. He’s only hurting the team and making his injury worse for a lost cause. Unlike other years the Rockets can actually when some games without him.

realonemo, Mr. Space City and HP3 like this.
  10. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

When Luka is constantly all-NBA, constantly in the MVP top 3, going to the finals, then maybe we can talk.

Right now, he's not even close.

Harden been doing what he does for years and years, don't assume that Luka can and will. Being an elite top 5 player for years and years is not easy, very few people that live have ever done it.

Harden is a top 5 SG of all time. Luka isn't. He can be, but let the man earn that crown.

jiggyfly, Richie_Rich, D-rock and 4 others like this.
  11. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

I'd rather watch Westbrook get triple doubles tbh. At least he tries.

12. realonemo

realonemo Member

Westbrook is a horrible basketball player at this point in his career for what he's making.

13. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

Luka is a point guard, so he'll never be a top 5 SG. His best attribute is his passing. Harden's best attribute is scoring.

14. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Eh I think he's better than Wall

15. durvasa

Harden shouldn't have come back so early. He needs to sit out as long as it takes to fully recover. 1 week, 2 weeks, doesn't matter. The team needs to get used to playing without him anyway.

riko and banzai like this.
  16. Rocketeer4Life

Rockets killer Hardaway Jr. does it again!!:mad:

17. banzai

banzai Contributing Member

So, this is assuming we won’t get anyone for Harden or Harden leaves. We’ve beaten this scenario to death.

18. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

Is Luka a top 5 anything of all time?

I'm saying people want to put him over Harden need to slow down. If his team finishes over Harden, sure, if he in general has a better year, sure...but historically it's not close.

It's a pet peeve of mines (as some people know) when people crown young players for a good few years. Lots of guys have a good few years then flame out. Rare for guys to have the longevity of guys like Kobe, Durant, Harden, Lebron, Duncan, etc...the all time greats.

jiggyfly and D-rock like this.
  19. durvasa

Is anyone comparing Luka's career to Harden's at this point? Harden is a HOFer if he retires today. Doncic isn't (unless I'm underrating the significance of his Europe career). That isn't the comparison people are making.

As for this season -- who will be the better player? That's where the debate is, and it's entirely reasonable to go with Doncic over Harden given the path each player is on in their respective careers.

Downtown Sniper likes this.
  20. s3ts

s3ts Member

No, he's not better than Harden. Their system is very reminiscent of MDAs, Luka is isolating plenty and is dominating the ball like Harden used to before this season.

Harden can do BETTER than what Luka did tonight with that system, and with those role players. That's not up for debate. Harden didn't dominate the ball tonight, nor try to play his own game while the rest of the roster followed Silas.

Silas has yet to develop a system that makes sense. My takeaway from Silas' post-game interview is that he believes we should be beating everyone with scoring. It's not easy to have that kind of efficiency, not when MDAs system is at this very moment better than what Silas offers.

I think Silas will eventually figure out a good rotation, and a combination of strengths/weaknesses that will work against the teams. But he's definitely not catching on fast enough to have us on track to be a contender this season.

jiggyfly, ak99999 and D-rock like this.