1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

ClutchFans Game Thread: Lakers @ Rockets 12/13/2018

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Dec 12, 2018.

1. Patience

Patience Contributing Member

Really? I think Webber is the best color commentator TNT has.

macan likes this.
  2. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

I read that and thought of Earl Campbell. I was a huge fan of the Tyler Rose when he was playing for the Oilers. Earl would dance around in close quarters, squeeze through tight spaces, but if he couldn't find a way around, he went through. Without hesitation, and he hurt people. Harden's a little like that when driving to the hoop. If he can't dance around you and score or make the pass, he goes right at you and draws the foul, often making the bucket anyway. I don't know if he hurts people doing it, but he bruises some egos. He bruised some on the Lakers. I love beating the Lakers. Thank you, James.

James Harden. The Earl Campbell of basketball.

kjayp, Rocket River, Deuce and 3 others like this.
  3. vlaurelio

vlaurelio Contributing Member

Lol were led by a stat padder not a winner

4. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Even Gregg Popovich was frustrated with him but he got it done in 2016.

5. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

THIS!

6. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

he is usually fair its just that adam silver probably called him before the game and told him he got to redeem himself because he went off on a rant about anti rockets officiating during game 7 WCF

7. Roc Paint

Roc Paint Contributing Member

Love the comparison.

James Harden is like a runaway freight train moving downhill

Deckard likes this.
  8. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

I agree. But for it to become a trend the onus is on the BENCH. Either the current bench depth is up for the task and does its job or Morey needs to add pieces to be bench. But the bottom line is you need the bench to carry some of the load. They need to do the "grunt work."

And then let Harden be "the closer" to hit the big shots at the end of the game.

Asking Harden to do the "grunt work" AND be "the closer" just is too much at times. Need a team effort.

HP3 and vlaurelio like this.
  9. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

This is kind of what Harden did .. .when he took himself out for a breathe before the final stretch
    MATURITY! SELF AWARENESS!!

and WANTING to win more than anything

Rocket River

vlaurelio likes this.
  10. kjayp

kjayp Contributing Member

You characterize it as 'saving the day'... we were up by 2 when harden sat... we were up by 5 when he returned... guys were playing well.... then for the last 5 mins Harden froze everyone out. Did anybody else even touch the ball on the offensive end (aside from the tip) the last 5 mins?

If you wanna say Harden 'took over' to secure the win - fine... I appreciate him taking on the role as a superstar should. Kudos to him!
    but...
    Up by 8 with a minute and half left - could somebody else get a shot?
    howabout up by 11 with a minute left - could somebody else get a shot?
    howabout with 40 seconds left and us up by 13 - could somebody else get a shot?

It's a team sport. House had a great game - reward the guy with a shot or two down the stretch... why's it gotta be the Harden show after the game has been decided? Never mind the potential for injury when he's driving with game already sealed... it's about playing as a team and building a bond - keeping guys engaged bc they never know when the ball is coming their way...

I hear about how he does this because he 'doesnt trust his teammates' or our bench is fulla 'scrubs'... Well if we are gonna contend, we're gonna need contributions from more than just James Harden.... this night it worked out - but its not a solid plan for long term success (see 2015-16 Rockets).

Had harden turned the ball over a few more times and missed a few more of those contested 3's he took - and we lost (which has happened in the past) - then everybody would be up in arms about this sort of play... but we won, so guys wanna hoist him on their shoulders and celebrate...

I don't like hero ball - period. We are a team and we need to play as a team - period.

As the saying goes - it's not whether you win or lose - but how you play the game. That is especially true when yer trying to ingrain the habits and tendencies for a championship team.

People wanna view what I'm saying as being 'a hater' - whatever... I'm looking big picture and ongoing prosperity! I dont care about a 50 pt triple dub - I'm looking championship and the tendencies and game play its gonna take to get us there!

I realize this mindset doesnt play into the instant gratification of the fanboy mentality (and I'm not calling you a fan boy by any means - i respect your opinion as a good poster) - but this is the view of a Rockets fan that wants long term success.

#1070 kjayp, Dec 15, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 15, 2018
  11. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

My dear lord.

Jesus Christ could suit up for the Rockets and you would complain.

“Did he have to die for ALL of our sins?!?! He has teammates that could have helped!!!!”

vlaurelio likes this.
  12. vlaurelio

LOFs/Harden Haters/Fake Rockets fans: blame Harden

13. kjayp

I loved the fact that Harden sat longer than usual - while the guys on the court were taking care of business. Watching the game I didnt know if it was Harden or MDA that made that call... regardless, I appreciated the fact that we were giving guys the opportunity to get some
    Yeh... when I posted the initial post - I knew you'd show up... lol

Look at what I'm saying - and tell me I'm wrong.

Game 5 vs The Spurs we saw the 'it's all on me' - and that ended in disaster and was the prequel to the game 6 meltdown...
    'Those who do not learn history are doomed to repeat it'

Personally, I find it rather hypocritical of people that wanna celebrate when the hero ball thing works - and b**** up a storm when it dont... thats why I say dont do it - period. Thats why i mention it following a win - as unpopular opinion as it may be at this exact time... Play as a team - and win or lose as a team. Imo thats what it means to a fan of the team - and not an XOF fanboy...

and yes, if Jesus Christ suited up for the Rockets, I would expect him to play as part of the team as well - martyrs need not apply. We dont need martyrs - we need smart team oriented players to win a championship. ;)

14. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

You are picking the wrong game with which to make your points about Harden. It isn't that there isn't anything to what you're saying, but rather that saying it about last night is, pardon me, just crazy! Think about it.

You are ignoring the context. It was the Lakers. It was LeBron, it was a lousy TNT crew completely in the bag for the Lakers and LeBron, seemingly convinced that they were going to win, complaining about every call they thought was going against LA, and then stunned when we, or rather Harden, ran roughshod over the "team that was supposed to win" to crush them by 15. You are ignoring that we, most of us, were cheering while you were nitpicking.

The talking heads in the studio, the empty heads calling the game, they couldn't believe what they were seeing. Harden expanding his bag of tricks after calling for a rest late in the 4th, which he never does, and then going Madman upon his return. Harden scoring 50 while uncorking a triple double in the process, humiliating the Lakers, LeBron, and the TNT crew. It was one of those games you want to save on your DVR and watch during the doldrums of the summer after the season simply because we played, Harden played, such a transcendent game.

You're missing the context and missing the fun and glory. I've already watched the game again, twice, and I'm fixing to watch it yet again. We may have witnessed the season's turning point for our heroes. In my humble opinion.

Rocket River and jordnnnn like this.
  15. vlaurelio

LOL Move on hater

16. Caesar

Caesar Member

He has a point though. Harden saves the day now and then, but when it's not working, everyone is basically worthless on the court just watching him try and take over.

kjayp likes this.
  17. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

I wish I could like 100000 times

Rocket River likes this.
  18. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Et tu, Brute?

BMoney, Rocket River and Caesar like this.
  19. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

Now and then?

He saves the day ALL THE TIME.

Doesn’t have to be in the 4th quarter.

Do some of y’all not watch NBA basketball.

Teams throughout history have relied on their stars to win.

This isn’t new.

20. kjayp

Hi Deckard - I hope all is well with you! :)

I'm pointing it out this game because it was successful - I dont want to be one of those hypocritical trolls that only comes out and 'complains' in the wake of a loss... I'm all about team ball, spreading it around, getting guys involved and engaged - and we did that for much of the game - until the end... this time it worked out... great.

I loved the win! Extremely happy to get the W - esp at the expense of LeBron and the Fakers - and in the face of the announcers inane drivel throughout... I cheered throughout... just pointing out that we should have gone about it smarter... We also didn't use the shot clock to our advantage... we were up late in the game - we should have been milking that every possession... again, turns out it didnt matter - but it's one of those things that we need to be cognizant of in future games...

Whether Harden got 50 - or 44 - does that really matter? It's great that he asserted himself down the stretch - kudos - but I'd say its also equally important that he let the other guys on the floor be part of the victory... Once we're up double digits and a minute or two left - reward the other guys for their play - it doesnt have to all be about Harden. he's the most important factor - but he's not the only factor. I dgaf about what other people or announcers think of us - they'll love us when we win.

People always complain that guys stand around and 'ball watch' when Harden has the ball - this is the reason... nearly half a quarter - and nobody else got to touch the ball on the offensive end... that aint right....

My concerns could be downplayed as 'nitpicky' - but these are also the concerns that can be detrimental to our long term prosperity - as they have been in the past...

#1080 kjayp, Dec 15, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 15, 2018
    Deckard likes this.