1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

ClutchFans Game Thread: Jazz @ Rockets 1/5/2023

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Jan 5, 2023.

1. apollo33

apollo33 Member

this is what I hate about Jalen's game, and why he's performing so bad. He should have passed the ball after 2 dribbles.

2. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

[​IMG]

3. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

I mean holding on to the ball and dribbling a lot isn't Green's weakness. He has one of the highest points per time of possession in the league.

And yes occasionally a player of his talent and expectations should occasionally have iso dribble plays. It shouldn't be a staple but it's expected he will do it sometimes.

4. i3artow i3aller

Jalen's not the only one looking bad in that clip. Green drew three defenders and then our disgruntled old head let the defense reset before KPJ threw up a grenade.

DeBeards, cheke64 and Verbal Christ like this.
  5. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

[​IMG]

DeBeards and BelgianRocketsFan like this.
  6. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

I think me and most others here played organized basketball in a club, also everyone criticized Steve Nash as a coach so you're reaching very heavily here.

And again with the strawman that people here said coaching doesn't matter, which no one ever said.

What are you basing your opinion on that this team should make the play-in with better coaching? If you haven't noticed, teams like the Warriors, Wolves are at those positions and have much better players, and in front of us there's still Utah and LA with better vets.

Ignoring other teams and simply saying "we have the talent to make the play-in, ya just don't get it" is a pretty weird way of arguing, especially when you somehow think people on a basketball board haven't played organized basketball.

Verbal Christ likes this.
  7. Joe Rocket

Joe Rocket Member

"solely" no one says that. Its more likely they are saying like I said that they would play better with a better coach and environment like all teams. Its not like anyone is saying we would win a chip without Silas. Clear case of adding your own assumptions to what someone else has said in order to have a point to argue.

#927 Joe Rocket, Jan 6, 2023
    Last edited: Jan 6, 2023
  8. Joe Rocket

Joe Rocket Member

Much better players is a term used to scapegoat coaching. Ofcourse players have different talent levels but it means nothing if its not organized properly. Before Nash got fired there were teams with less talent that would beat the Nets regularly. Do you understand the point there? Like I said I knew you wouldnt get it. People like you dont get it til it happens and then they disapear and pretend they never said it lol The Rockets arent devoid of talent, another coach can come in and do a much better job than Silas. You dont know what our talent level is honestly because we've never seen them with a competent coach. What was Lauri's talent level under a different coach last year or the year before?

9. rockets1995

rockets1995 Member

The Rockets are not constructed for Jalen Green, Jabari Smith Jr., Tari Eason

PG -6'3 - High IQ, Need Speedster, High Assists, Cross Court Passer, Quick Decision in Passing, Setting up Jalen Green in Cut and passing the Ball to off of cuts. 3 Point Shooter, Excellent Lateral Quick Defense.

C 7'0 Taller Shot Blocker, Lob Threat, Low Post, Hook Shot, Tear Drop

fchowd0311 likes this.
  10. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

In fairness to Green, he’s fishing for a 3-second violation on Markkanen. Often a dribbler will see that, and keep the ball to get that call, or to wait for the low post defender to 2.9 to see if it re-opens the drive.

Had Sengun taken one step further away from Markkanen, we likely get the 3-second call.

11. apollo33

apollo33 Member

Thats cool, I didn't know that was a thing at all

12. jim1961

jim1961 Member

I think its less about how good our pieces are.
    Instead, its how well (poorly) they fit together.
    Its what happens when you draft for best available over best fit.
    Not saying I disagree with the strategy. Just saying, it has its drawbacks.

Now the task is identifying what to keep and trading what we have in excess into what we lack.

Ok, sounds easy. I am sure its not.
    But easy or not, I think its the only approach moving forward.
    Just hope we got the right guys in the organization to pull it off.

daywalker02 likes this.
  13. TimDuncanDonaut

slightly longer version.

DeBeards likes this.
  14. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

That's funny coming from the person who thinks they are the only one here that played organized basketball and making up in every post that others are saying "coaching doesn't matter at all".

15. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

That's one of the dumbest statements I've seen here, so GSW and Timberwolves don't have better rosters and all-stars with years of experience?

And we're not gonna mention the bad chemistry and Kyrie issues at all, because it doesn't suit your point?

And again with a strawman like all your posts, no one said this team wouldn't do better with a different coach.

Thanks for showing that your very own "we have enough talent to make the play-in" statement is 100% fluff not based on anything you can observe or back up, it's awesome how your own posts contradict your claims.

I'm a bit bewildered at how you can act so arrogant saying the rest don't understand basketball and make definite statements at how good this team would be under a different coach.
    You give absolutely zero points on why this team is play-in level (also completely disregarding the competition at those spots) and yourself admit no one knows the talent level of this squad, so what's the point of your posts on this topic?
    Except for completely making up that people say coaching doesn't matter, literally everything you say are unfounded guesses.

#935 Yung-T, Jan 7, 2023
    Last edited: Jan 7, 2023
  16. cheke64

cheke64 Member

I didnt even bother watching the highlights. I instead just read the last 2 pages of the game thread. If anything scandalous happens I might watch the clip. Attention span keeps getting shorter

daywalker02 and snowconeman22 like this.
  17. jim1961

jim1961 Member

There was a brief period from mid November to mid December where all of a sudden, they started beating some very good teams.
    Wins against Phoenix, 76ers, Bucks, Atlanta & Dallas among them.
    So my interest started waxing.

Then, as fast as they seemed to have found themselves, they lost it again and have been in a funk since.
    So now, my interest also has waned.
    I am taking more interest in trade talks than watching games right now.

Yep. Just waiting for something to happen.

fchowd0311 and cheke64 like this.
  18. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

If you recall against Atlanta Jabari and Green had to go against Trae verbally to get themselves going.

Then they won couple games because Silas was mourning his dad.

Or because Harden was in the house.

You can't just give effort based on extreme emotions, it was not going to sustain.

AlperenSengun likes this.
  19. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Are you the Moon?