1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

ClutchFans Game Thread: Jazz @ Rockets 1/27/2008

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Jan 26, 2008.

1. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

Sure is funny the lakers have lost 3 in a row since bynum went out. If you think 20 shots is too many, go watch and see how many other wing players take. I'm not knocking on kobe, but kobe hasnt made it out the 1st rd without Shaq. To top it off< his teams havent been higher than a 7th seed and he's been in the lotto also.

2. badgerfan

badgerfan Member

Look, the pick and roll is not the problem. Adelman isn't installing a pure Princeton at Houston, it's a hybrid. And the pick and roll will probably be a feature of that hybrid until Yao and T-Mac retire.

The problem is T-Mac dominating the ball and the primary symptom of that is poor shot selection, T-Mac making way too many FGA's and the other guys not getting enough touches. Novak in the fourth not getting touches is another symptom of this underlying problem.

3. Panda

Panda Member

We miss Yao.

4. Rocketman2002

Rocketman2002 Member

I agree with you that Novak should have a couple of FGA in the 4th because he was hot in the 3rd. Also if your not gonna use his shooting ability, then he becomes a liability because hes not a good defender.

5. caneks

caneks Rookie

That is an excellent point. Let's not talk about 20 shots. Tell me which player in those teams takes 17 shots or more.

Boston
    Detroit
    San Antonio
    Dallas
    Phoenix
    New Orleans

Even Boozer takes only 17.3 shots per game, while he made 55% of them.

If any player in those teams take 20 shots, that team will not be what they are now. This is the exact reason we could not pass the first round in the last few years. If T-Mac continues sticking to the ball in the way he was, he would be the poison for this team to be elite.

Mark my words, This team will go nowhere but failure again this season with T-Mac taking more than 18 shots even he made 50% of his shots.

6. beachboys

beachboys Member

Agree with you. Don't know whether anybody realise. When TMAC get the ball, 2 scene was happened most of the time, either he assist the team for a score or he drive the ball or shoot right on the spot. There result will be either the ball go into the basket or bounce out. We hardly see him pass the ball to other team mate and find a better spot to score. When the ball turned to his hand, it will end the rotation.

When his hand is hot, we win the games, but when his hand is cold, rocket sink. In my opinion, not because he is not good, but he is just not suitable to adelman's strategies.

In the court, I can't see any fire through his face. He doesn't looks like hunger to play for rocket. If he really don't want to play with rocket why are we still try our best to stay him in the rocket? 4 years already, what have he don't to the rocket? Do we want to waist another season just to prove that he is not suitable with the system? Is it fair to all the fans?

Everybody know what rocket need is a person can share the ball but not a super star who dominate the ball so often.

I really feel bad to see rocket playing like this all the time though. :confused:

7. Nitro1118

Nitro1118 Member

The Lakers, the best team of the best decade, won 3 rings with Kobe and Shaq around or over 20 FGA per game. And probably to your surprise, the triangle is an extremely similar system to the Adelman offense, and preaches the same principles. But when you have the talents of guys like Shaq, Yao, T-Mac and Kobe, you need to use them and often.

8. oneonepyopyo

oneonepyopyo Member

Completely agree with you.

9. Shroopy2

Shroopy2 Contributing Member

I know what you're saying. With Novak in the defense will give up 35-37 points. Him shooting will never offset that. he more dependable team strategy is put in an average defender in his place rather than strategize (sp?) Novak shooting more. I agree fully, thats reason 1-A.

Reason 1-B, which is focused on maximizing Novak, is to at least JUSTIFY having him out there. Even if it doesnt eventually put the outcome in the Rockets favor, get him at least ONE attempt. Thats the ONLY way to play him. Might as well bring in Chuck Hayes to bury the outside 18 footer if they're gonna do that.

10. jondoe

jondoe Member

Look, I think Tmac is a great player, but he just doesn't have the right attitude. demeanor, or team player qualities. I can't believe he said this...

"You got to understand the game," said McGrady, who led the Rockets with 21 points, nine assists and six rebounds. "Without Yao in the lineup in the first half, I was trying to get these guys going. It doesn't make sense for me to go out there and try to score all the points. Then, when I do pass the ball, these guys have no rhythm.
    "I was trying to get these guys the ball, get them confidence, because down the stretch of the game, you're going to need your teammates. I was trusting my teammates.

Anyway, is this necessary? Come on Tmac, you are the most talented player on the team...Rox need you to be a leader...

11. Shroopy2

Shroopy2 Contributing Member

Also, I don't see the difference between feeding Yao in the paint for scores or McGrady our best wing player getting shot attempts. McGrady is a more athletic Reggie Miller with less shooting touch but complete overall game. Its what he is.
    He's shooting 44% this year, not great but not too bad. He and the team must hit their free throws through. I find that more inexcusable than McGrady "chucking"

12. caneks

caneks Rookie

Will we talk how to became a good team to get into the playoff before thinking to be champ team? It is funny to compare current Yao, T-Mac with Shaq and Kobe in their champ years. They are not in the same level.

13. Manos

Manos Member

The Jazz players had no depth perception issues, how again is it the Toyota Centers fault?

14. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

You can not honestly believe that, can you?

They ran their guy through pick after pick to free him up, we didn't do any of that.

THAT is how you free up a Matt Bullard clone....run him through the guantlet, but that doesn't work if everyone is too busy trying to set a high screen for Tmac.

The offense lost out to Tmac's comfort zone last night.

DD

15. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Kyle kover is a lot better than novak in overall game too - plays better D than Novak, which isn't saying a whole lot though.

16. ai_111

ai_111 Rookie

It wasnt t-mac s fault. He shares the ball but nothing really happened. So he decided to shot himself and at the end of the third quarter, we come up close to them but in the forth quarter, t-mac couldnt do it alone. He needed Yao. Also, Novak shouldnt have played in that 4th quarter.
    That was a very important game and we lost it at home. So angry that Yao didnt play. :mad: :mad: :mad: I know, it wasnt his fault. The three teams above us have raced away from us. Now, we will have to BEAT the Golden States, if no, we are really in trouble. After that, (I know that utah isnt a bad team) we will have to win all the teams like Indiana, Milimauke and etc. Average teams.

17. Angkor Wat

Angkor Wat Member

37pts in the 4th Q by the Jazz....there is your answer to the loss right there. You can't win with that kind of defense. Especially against a good team like the Jazz.

18. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

doesnt he always? but I do think his knee was bothing him a lot towad the end.

i have no idea, but its getting flat out filly. looks like the team misses jvgs strict FT regimen ;)

they started to actually cover him.

guessing b/c usually tmac has the ball rather than rafer.

bird flu...?

19. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

Yeah, Korver is a wiz on D.

:rolleyes:

20. BONIERO1576

BONIERO1576 Member

I mean c'mon Novak has like three inches on the guy and hadn't missed the whole game. You gotta run a play for the guy, unless they did and T-Mac refused to give up the rock.

Anyway you always milk the hot hand, at least until he misses. Not getting him more touches is just a complete lack of game awareness.