1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

ClutchFans Game Thread: Hornets @ Rockets 1/18/2023

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Jan 17, 2023.

1. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

And he doesn’t think he does this. He’s blind to his own behavior

Ankara1923 likes this.
  2. plegus

plegus Member

I am very actively around and reading a lot since Alperen is drafted, just not writing much.

Ankara1923, hakeem94 and fchowd0311 like this.
  3. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

"Goon squad" couldn't contend with ....Mark Williams (who spent most of the year in Greensboro G league)

4. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

I expected this place to be in more of a meltdown after the loss last night, but I think we've all just come to accept the misery. No need to fight it anymore.

5. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

I guess we helped Mark with NBA exposure....

6. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Hey, battles of the Baddies, battle of the knights of the coconut.

At least someone dropped 41.

7. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

lol so true. I started looking for news about Silas and just gave up because I knew in the pit of my soul that we are gonna stick with him this year no matter what. I’m also hardening myself for probable disappointment at the trade deadline. This year has become an endurance test for fans.

8. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

Defense wins championships....even if it's just
    10 minutes a half.

Rockets would give up the leads when Mark Williams was playing for the most part.

People from Turkey don't understand Jokic is wonderful on offense......but his defense or lack thereof has him having trouble getting out of the first round.

Lesser players like Robert Williams and Looney make it further.

Verbal Christ likes this.
  9. rpr52121

rpr52121 Sober Fan
    Supporting Member

I mean it is also team construction. I seriously doubt that Golden State or Boston wouldn't love to have Jokic on their team. They would obviously construct their teams differently to better hide Jokic on defense.

Denver doesn't really have any all defensive team caliber players in their starting roster. And i would argue Aaron Gordon may one of the worst starting big man partners with Jokic.

When your no. 1 star has that kind of offensive/defensive split, you need a player who can the same in reverse. For example, Steph/Draymond. Before when 3 point shooting was not as important, you get away with a bit more like Dirk with aging Chandler/Marion.

conquistador#11 likes this.
  10. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

Good post. There are nuances to how teams fit together offensively and defensively. Bari and Tari were drafted in large part as defensive first 2 way players. As they mature, the tandem of Sengun, Bari, and Tari will do quite well defensively. The backcourt will have to improve or be replaced. Very few players are defensive stalwarts in their first couple of years. I respect Apache’s takes, but I think these black/white pronouncements are beneath his usual takes.

11. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

Curious how NOW they shift the narrative to how important CHEMISTRY is when that is what most of us "dummies" have pushed all along vs player only BS. :rolleyes:

ApacheWarrior likes this.
  12. DatRocketFan

DatRocketFan Member

Head honcho doesn't have chemistry with sengun hence Bruno was hyped up to b a better starter candidate at center than sengun.

13. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

Nobody has chemistry on this team thats the point Einstein, but yes please keep dropping those analytical gems and holding on to your post hoc BS. Whatever makes this pathetic season sting less.

14. DatRocketFan

DatRocketFan Member

Sengun has nice synergy with Martin
    And green with sengun.

Just cause u state your opinion like it's a fact doesn't make it true. ...

15. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

Great synergy in getting their sht pushed in by 20 points each game and then losing to an equally pathetic team last night? Thats what you call synergy? Hilarious.

16. DatRocketFan

DatRocketFan Member

Small steps. Starting this season sengun wasn't even getting passes.
    The process is even slower with a dumb@$$ coach and the franchise insistence on running kpj at point when he's clearly not meant to play that position

17. RHU525

RHU525 Member
    Supporting Member

You don't think Jokic struggles in the playoffs cuz the entire rest of Nuggets salary cap is in street clothes? MPJ and Jamal Murray didn't play for a whole season...

18. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

IMO Murray is not enough, they would have needed someone in the guard version AD tier.

19. hlmbasketball

hlmbasketball Member
    Supporting Member

Man, I haven't seen one of those in a Rocket's uniform in a long, long time! Damn, a REAL CENTER.

20. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

I think a Jokic and Booker pairing could win a ring. Booker is essentially a better version of Murray.