1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    The NBA Draft is here! Come join Clutch in the ClutchFans Room Wednesday night at 6:30pm CT as we host the live online NBA Draft Watch Party. Who will the Rockets select at #3?

NBA Draft - LIVE!

ClutchFans Game Thread: Heat @ Rockets 11/11/2003

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Nov 10, 2003.

1. shawn786

shawn786 Member

OMG just seen the Heat play hurt me think about Jeff's bro, DAMN they suck realllllllllly bad. I mean the Rox did there thing damn good D and Offense to go with it but damn the heat suk thats all i gota say...

2. rrj_gamz

rrj_gamz Contributing Member

Mobley was a scoring machine last night...Yao was amazing as usually...

I can't wait until Thurs. for the Mavs...

Go Rox...

3. solid

solid Contributing Member

I didn't get to see the game and just listened to last five mins. on radio. I am very excited that the Rocket's are off to such a great start. As to the specifics of last night's game, I too was surprised that Ming took only seven shots, BUT, in a team concept, you really have to take what you are given. The Heat decided that Ming was not going to beat them, so Mobley did. Seems reasonalbe to me. Also, you always want to "feed the fire," get the ball to the "hot" player. This team is only going to get better. By the Break, they could actually be a contender. Can I even dare to think that!?

4. roswell raygun

Not to turn this discussion away from basketball, but if there is one nation that should never, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever make disparaging remarks about the U.S. military, it is France.

5. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

Good Post but you have to do what works at the time and if it is Mobley and Francis doing it all then so be it. If Cat wasnt on against the Heat then they wouldve found another solution. Obviously Van Gundy gave him the green light. I would love just as much as anyone for Yao to be dominating and scoring at all times but it just doesnt work that way. I thought the guards played great overall. We played a pretty good game and got a good win. I hope we keep this up. Go Rockets....Anyone know where I can get a Boki jersey?

6. snowmt

snowmt Member

Man, I seriously think you are crossing the line by calling someone
    "freaking idiot". Go back to ESPN board please.

7. superpro

superpro Member

How can i tell you are hot without even seeing you have your ball and play it?

8. superpro

superpro Member

I will tell you what, if you call this solid basketball, then take a look at the Kings' game, the lakers' game, or even Hornets' game.

You will know what a solid game means. Wait till the real test comes. If our guards still keep their passing capability at this level, Rockets will lose big time to the playoff teams.

Man, I wish Baron Davis could be on Rockets.

We need a true point guard to contend for the top 4 spot in the west. Period.

9. superpro

superpro Member

Er, did you just graduate from primary school, or what?

10. Aemon

Aemon Contributing Member

A WIN is WIN and the Rockets sit pretty atop their division. That's all that matters, not who scored and who didn't, who rebounded and who didn't...they got it done collectively as a team. Way to go Rockets.:cool:

11. Quakes

Quakes Member

True test coming up tomorrow with Dallas. Great results so far. The team has been able to find the shooters/guards when the inside is packed with defenders... will be interesting to see how well the Rox reverses the game as need be when the inside is more open.

12. Nautic

Nautic Member

In the short term, it was good because we got a win. Winning is the most important thing. No complaint there.

In the long run, however, this kind of me-shoot-only strategy will backfire because there is no guarentee his shots will be falling every game. Think long term and get other players invovled in the offense, especially when the big guy fights so hard and establishs a good position. If no passing is coming, why waste so much engergy fighting for position at the offense end. The team would be better off to have him save the energy for use in the defence end.

The best strategy is one that consistently brings wins.

13. lancet

lancet Contributing Member

Well said. All championship teams use regular season to tune their rotation and find the right offensive/defensive schemes. People say only winning matters regardless of how we played are shortsighted and are just showing their ignorance. Four year straight lottery season is enough to make a lots of people on this board and Rockets players content with just make playoffs this season. However, JVG clearly only has one goal on his mind: Championship! I believe Rockets can be a contender THIS season, not in three years. Everybody knows that guard-oriented play may win some regular season games, but will never bring championships. Big-man post play is the only way to win consistently in playoffs. In playoff games, the defensive intensities are much higher, opponents will put much more parimeter defense on our guards, and still try to deny Yao the ball. If guards cannot, or unwilling to, get Yao the ball in regular season, I don't see how Rockets can play inside-out coming playoff time. It will be the Memphis game all over again.

14. A-Train

A-Train Contributing Member

What's the point of having Steve and Cat on the team if they're just going to pass it to Yao every single time down the court? You might as well have J.R. Bremer and Bryon Russell in there...

15. rocketear

rocketear Contributing Member

A -Train, are you r****ded or something...? read The_ocean_is _bl
    post AGAIN and tell me what this poster was trying to say...btw, read it slowly if it's too complicate for you, and you shall GET IT;)

16. Oski2005

Oski2005 Contributing Member

That isn't crossing the line, get over yourself. djunior is the guy who started multiple threads last week, annoying the hell of out of people. BTW, what the hell prompted the whole "you should eat freedom fries" thing? I'm just curious if there was a reason for that or if it came out of left field.

Also, whover said the French can't criticize the US must have forgotten that they helped us gain our independence. Does that mean we shouldn't be able to criticize them? I hope not.

I have a question, if Yao Ming averages 16 and 8 with 2.5 blks, and we make the playoffs and go deep, or hell, we win it all, will people accept that or will they still think that the team needs to be broken up so that pass only scrubs can be brought in to give the ball to Yao EVERY time (even when he's on the bench) as opposed to the current philosophy of giving Yao the ball when he's on the floor?

Seriously though, even an allstar like McGrady is suffering from double teams, to the point he's seemed to have lost all interest in the game. Is it so hard to accept that Yao, a guy without the disposition to dominate in the paint, can be neutralized by double teams? Sooner or later, teams will realize that the guards are the ones scoring, so they'll focus on them leaving Yao guarded by only one guy. If the guards don't pass to him then, you can b**** all you want.

I'm tired of people saying that the last 4 years were pointless because we didn't make the playoffs. It's such a cop out argument. It's like saying a movie wasn't good if it didn't win an Oscar. All 4 previous seasons have their stories. I'm about to remind some of you what happened since you probably didn't even know a team called the Rockets existed until last year.

Year one, Francis is a rookie. The team was built to support Pippen, Dream, and Sir Charles. Suddenly all three are gone. If you believe that team should have been in the playoffs, you have problems. Mobley didn't even start, so don't tell me that year was all about the guards.

Year 2, we go 45 and 37. That's a winning season, that's a playoff team record. That record has the notorious honor of being the best record of a team to not qualify for the playoffs. The Suns won 44 last year and got the eighth seed. To say that season was bad is lazy and stupid. That was at a time when we were at teh pinnacle of Western conf. dominance over basketball.

Year 3, the dark year where we found out just how important Francis was to this team. A lot of you Yao only fans don't know this, but Francis was hurt for a lot of that year. He played 57 games. He missed a huge chunk due to planter fasciitis. On top of that, he had Meniere's disease. The man had skull splitting migraines that actually impaired his vision. Guess what, he still went out and played when he could convince the trainers he was ok. It wasn't pitiful play that cost us the playoffs that year, it was bad luck.

Year four, now Yao Ming is in the picture. People can complain about year 3 all they want, but we were destined to lose that year, it is the reason that we have Yao. Would you rather have had a quick exit in the playoffs, or Yao for the next 18 years? That's what I thought. Last year was bad, we should have gone to the playoffs. I still think had Rudy not gotten sick, we would have easily been there. The change that the previous season brought, JVG, seems to be a good one. I miss Rudy, but I think we got an excellent replacement. This team wasn't as bad defensively as people like to pretend, but it has still gotten a lot better, as in #8 to #1.

As long as we are winning, I don't think any Rockets fans have any problems. If you are like Yetti and worry about Yao's stats, remember that one of the best guys in the game today, Dirk Nowitzki, averaged 8 pts his first season, then 17 his next. He didn't become a super stud until his 3rd season. Give Yao a chance.

17. fa7999

fa7999 Member

The Kings use Divac in the high post a lot and he kind of becomes a pivot in their passing games. It seems that all JVG asking Yao right now is the get deep position inside the paint and scores from down low. Since Yao has the ability to hit the 12-15 foot jumper consistently, why not set him up for those mid jumpers on a regular basis? As such, we can also open the paint a little more.

So far this season, Yao is 2-3 in nailing those 18 footer jumpers.

18. danjojo

danjojo Member

This is going to be my last post about this subject because it clearly does not belong here. Anyway, it wasn't a disparaging comment about your military. I feel sorry for them. They're doing something worthwhile over there and yet most people want them to fail and very few are willing to help. Go figure...maybe the kind of comments djunior is making thread after thread has something to do with it...and yours doesn't help either...you're not exempt from criticism, from anyone...don't ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever understimate the power of words and think that you are better then anyone else...

I'll talk Rockets next time...Peace out...

19. dback816

dback816 Member

Jeez we have only played scrubs so far (including the Nets).

All your haters, supporters, lamers, loners, and geeks etc, all need to chill untill we go through November. We play alot of tough teams this month on the road, and those will be our true tests.

Yes you have the right to voice your opinion, but consider this: alot people dont like your dumb remarks. You're not excatly contributing by making posts full of hate.

It's way too damn early in the season. "A win is a win" yes ok, just look at the Mavs. They play well and sell tickets, but noone considers them a contender. If you are at true Rox fan, then you'd wish we become like the Spurs of last year not the Mavs.

20. KaiSeR SoZe

KaiSeR SoZe Contributing Member

I'm gonna get on-topic real quick...

I think it was a great game and we played great ball...we we're kinda weak at the beginning and picked up the slack later but at the end it was a win!:D