1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    The NBA Draft is here! Come join Clutch in the ClutchFans Room Wednesday night at 6:30pm CT as we host the live online NBA Draft Watch Party. Who will the Rockets select at #3?

NBA Draft - LIVE!

ClutchFans Game Thread: Grizzlies @ Rockets 4/13/2005

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Apr 12, 2005.

1. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Same thing happened at MMP for the Astros too.

Playoff crowds are always bigger and louder... happened throughout the 90's, happened last year... and it will happen this year again.

2. tigermission1

tigermission1 Contributing Member

Yah, I have said forever now, Legler has become a huge Rockets guy this season, he himself confessed that he "jumped on the Rockets bandwaggon" this season, he really likes the Rocks and has always praised them.

I like Legler a lot, he is fair-minded at least, unlike some of the other guys. He gives teams/players their due.

BTW, Stephen A. Smith said (after Legler's comments about the Rockets): "I am not a Rockets fan, but I am a T-Mac fan".

3. wolfsheep

wolfsheep Contributing Member

We don't need another shooter. We NEED a PG to pass and a PF to rebound. And they have to be young and cheap. And he must know defense in JVG's team;)

4. tigermission1

tigermission1 Contributing Member

Sorry, but if Miller makes $8 mill per year, then that is too much money, I wouldn't pay him that much. And even if I was willing to pay that much, I would try to go after a Jo Johnson type or, better yet, a solid PF.

5. KeepKenny

KeepKenny Contributing Member

The crowd was dead for most of the game. However, anyone saying that it didn't get loud as hell during crunchtime either wasn't there or is lying. Could it have been louder? Probably, but it's all relative.

There were some college kids sitting in front of us who acted as if it would have killed them to put their freakin hands together one time.

6. The_Yoyo

The_Yoyo Contributing Member

the whole home-crowd attendence I believe is quite simple. People by nature are fickle and "bandwagonny". Simply put with the exception of last year this team has had no real success in anyway (outside of getting Yao) as a fan of the team there would be not much to look forward to because a) they wouldnt make the playoffs and b) if they did they would be first round exits

last year they finally reached the playoffs again and the TC during playoff games were great. I expect the same this year that during the playoff games TC will be rocking. It just a matter of time when TC will be rocking on a consistent basis. When this team starts to be mentioned with the "elites" of the nba the average fan will start attending and showing their support of the team. If the rockets achieve playoff success this year (making at least to the second round) and success next season I believe that by the 2007-2008 season TC will be selling out pretty consistently.

7. cmellon

cmellon Member

Is Stephen also a T-Mac's fan when he is still in Orlando?

8. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

Man,

Minny still has a chance, Memphis has to go to play Denver away, and 2 games at San Antonio and closes against Dallas.

They could easily lose all 4 of those and Minny could slip past them.

Wow

DD

9. macfan

macfan Contributing Member

Smith wasn't on ESPN when Tmac was in Orlando. The reason he's a big "fan" of Tmac is because Tmac gave him that juicy interview (about Sissybrod) which I am sure made his bosses happy.

10. hotballa

hotballa Contributing Member

Translation:

"Don't be Hogging my airtime with your well thought out analysis of the NBA game, whiteboy. This here is my time, I'm SCREAMING A SMITH, you hear me??? SCREAMING!!! Now Who the hell are the Rockets? What's that? They DO have a black player on that team? Is it Mutumbo?? Tmac? When did he get traded form Toronto!? Him and Vince with that between the legs dunk to win it in 2000 Championships was the best thing in tha NBA!!! I don't know the Rockets, they probably don't have enough good black players, well at least Tmac is there. SCREAMING A Out! (Seacrest stole that form me, damn you whitey!!)"

11. macfan

The problem is not the number of people showing up. It's the kind of people that are showing up. It seems to me as an outsider that there's not a hardcore fan base. It seems like Rocket fans view games as any other kind of activity, kinda like going to the movies or going to a restaurant. They go to the games to have some simple fun. Rocket fans are observers more than cheerleaders.

12. macfan

Watch the game on ESPN. It's like night and day between Rocket and Sonic fans.

13. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

seeing paula gasol over the course of the game just reminds me why she's at the top of my least favorite player list. usually it's a dirty player, or a just a bad guy and gasol is neither of those but she just doesn't stop whining and the face she makes every play forces me to cringe. she actually b****es every single play, every one of them.

14. Rock101

Rock101 Member

I disagree 110% with the people that are saying we had good crowds last year. I went to 15 games and mostly sat on Section 427. It was usually packed, but the fans sucked A$$.

I thought the playoffs would be different. Well, at least my section did not come through. I think we have 14 rows on that section. Maybe 3 rows were into it. Remember the OT game Vs the Lakers. Most of the fans in my section were sitting on their tushis. They wouldnt even clap. They simply look lost!!! I would yell at them...but then my wife would get on me and its not worth it. I am so dissapointed. I attended many games from 93 through 98. Those crowds would get into it...every play, every time out after a good run, every dunk. I was a teen back then....I dont have the same energy, but my wife claims I still act like child at games.....maybe because I go there to enjoy the game. I dont eat the crappy food and the beer is too damn expensive. I get up once to go to the pisser and usually buy a large coke to help the throatt out. I go to the games to enjoy the game. Most of this Jacka$$es go for the .25 worth Nachos and $8 cup of crappy A$$ wine.

15. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

dude stop worrying about the crowd. there is no way the toyota center will not be absolutely rockin in the playoffs. it's not even close to the same kind of atmosphere. i don't care what kind of people are there, they will be up.

the lakers games last year were awesome, that place was loud and if you don't think it was, you weren't there.

16. Rock101

Rock101 Member

Yep, the Astros go to game 7 of the NLCS and they cant even sellout a weekend series. Typical Houston fan!!! Why do they have to be such bandwaggon fans!!! And no, that crap you heard today at the game, I was there, was crap!!! How many people around you stood up?? I think I counted 5 in my section. I think the ladies behind me we pissed because they couldnt see the game. I almost turned around and said "get your fat a$$ of your seat and make some noise". But if we ever reach the finals, you will hear the jokers on the local news " I am such a big fan, I love the Rockets" blah blah.

17. macfan

They were better compared to the regular season. A TC playoff game was still not as electric as an Arco regular season game. Look at the previous post of a guy who was there during the playoffs.

18. darkwarrior

darkwarrior Member

obviously macfan didn't watch last years' playoffs. It seriously got so much louder. I expect it to be the same.

19. Rock101

Rock101 Member

Once again, you call that loud? If you compare the playoff crowds from the 90's to the one from last year, no comparison. Plus, the playoff games sold out a day or 2 before the game in Houston. Wow, thats a solid fan base there. I bet you and I hope I am wrong that Playoff tickets will be available till sometime a couple of days before game 3. Seven years ago, the playoff tickets would sell out in a day. Lets see what happens Saturday.....lets see if the fans will show up.

20. bfunw

bfunw Contributing Member

[​IMG]

Nice Block!

By the way, what is Mcgrady looking at? ;) :D

If the picture is messed up, that's because this is my first attempt at posting a picture and i apologize.