1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    The NBA Draft is here! Come join Clutch in the ClutchFans Room Wednesday night at 6:30pm CT as we host the live online NBA Draft Watch Party. Who will the Rockets select at #3?

NBA Draft - LIVE!

ClutchFans Game Thread: Grizzlies @ Rockets 4/12/2013

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Apr 11, 2013.

1. Rip Van Rocket

Rip Van Rocket Contributing Member

Just a couple of observations from last nights game. We miss Parsons. The offense just flows better with Parsons. Parsons can shoot the three, he can drive to the basket, he can dish assists. I'll be glad when Parsons gets back in the lineup.

Delfino needs to knock off the rust and be ready for the playoffs. We need his production coming off the bench.

Of all our rookie PF's, TJones looks like the one that is a sure bet to be a solid NBA pro. However, I think he is a year or two away before we see what he is capable of on a consistent basis. When he gets the ball on offense he seems unsure and hesitates. He had this same problem in his D-League games also, but I think in time he will figure things out and be a good player. He has good natural rebounding instincts, and has the size and strength to battle in the paint. I'm excited about TJones, but we are going to need to be patient and understand he is still learning how to play.

We shot like 31% and almost won the game, that's just crazy. I'm starting to see a little more defense being played at times, this is encouraging.

2. Naija Texan

Naija Texan Member

Harden has been a turn over machine all season, fatigue and the refs not calling his attempts to draw contact are just increasing stuff.

The team REALLY should have developed another scorer that can play the post this season but it is only in recent weeks that they have tried playing guys in the post more.

3. SuperStar

SuperStar Member

I look at his Knicks days as Lin played like he had nothing to lose rather than clutch. Like playing with house money since his NBA career to that point was non existent. He has definitely shown flashes of being clutch but he has also shown the exact opposite hence why we need to see much more before we can say he's known to be a clutch player. Playoffs is where "clutch" players are made hence why Lebron always got dogged before he won a championship.

4. JMAD21

JMAD21 Member

The only problem I have with harden is how he sometimes strictly tries to get fouled. When he doesn't get those calls, it almost always leads to a turnover...

More importantly though, that was by far the worst charge call I've ever seen at any level of basketball! Then the very next possession they call harden for a foul where he literally didnt touch the guy. Those two calls cost us 2 points and gave them 2 more. We were down by two on the final possession. Refs cost us the game.

5. DOLPHIN2k2

DOLPHIN2k2 Member

Doc Rivers and Pop has done it multiple times where they had their 2nd and 3rd option score after puting the ball in their stars hand. I guess they suck as coaches too?

I would argue that if a coach can only rely on the star to score the last basket, they are not really that good. Everyone will focus on the star in the last play and it make it very difficult for them to score in the last possession, especially against good teams in the playoff.

1 person likes this.
  6. I'm Tom Brady

I'm Tom Brady Member

I just wanted to chime in here and complain about that UNBELIEVABLE charge call (I assume you know which one I mean). Should've won that game. But crappy referees notwithstanding, we win that game with Parsons.

7. RocketFan

RocketFan Contributing Member

Fixed. Your Welcome. And Harden is OK, his foot is no longer an issue.

8. RocketFan

RocketFan Contributing Member

Yeah... And just imagine, it would had been even crazier if the refs CALLED IT BOTH WAYS!!! we would had won! The REFS (Derrick Stafford who a post game reporter mentioned) blew the game for us, as he swallowed his whistle whenever Memphis CLEARLY fouled us and NOTHING was called! WTF??

I saw how the fouls were distributed... They would let us have our way in the 3Q, when we had 0 team fouls, and Memphis had 4. In the 4Q however, it wasn't like that. I would rather have the refs call us for actions that are CLEARLY a foul or violation (whether that be a travel, 3 seconds, whatever, etc...) than for them to NOT call it both ways, and to officiate a HORRIBLE game when they miss numerous, numerous calls in the 4Q, which decides a game!

A note to the refs:

If you see the fans getting pumped up WHEN WE ARE PLAYING AT HOME... AT HOME, MIND YOU!!! DO NOT... I REPEAT, DO NOT!!! TREAT US LIKE WE ARE THE AWAY TEAM! IF WE ARE MAKING A RUN, THUS COMING ALLL THE WAY BACK FROM 15+ POINTS DOWN, DO NOT, AND I REPEAT DO NOT KILL/DESTROY OUR MOMENTUM WITH A BS CALL!! THAT IS WHY I THINK Y'ALL AS REFS (DERRICK STAFFORD IN PARTICULAR) HAVE SUCH LITTLE TO NO RESPECT FOR THE ROCKETS!! Sorry had to vent there. Anyways, unless, we clearly foul the opposition (which Patrick Beverly did, not when he got the rebound away, but when he pushed the opposing player out of bounds, then YES, blow the whistle, but when its in crunch time, if its not a foul of THAT magnitude, do NOT blow the whistle! Let the players play, let them decide the outcome of the game!!!

That is all. Thank you for hearing me out ClutchFans.

#1948 RocketFan, Apr 13, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 13, 2013
  9. Steal&Deal

Steal&Deal Member

I don't think it's debatable at all. If you're guarded closely and a teammate is wide open you should pass the ball. NBA players when they're wide open will hit the shot more often than not. It's just poor basketball to force shots when tightly guarded.

10. I'm Tom Brady

I'm Tom Brady Member

Those fouls not being called all game that were fouls on Harden is one thing... that happens every other game. But that charge call, OH MY GOD...

11. I'm Tom Brady

I'm Tom Brady Member

I hate Jared Bayless so much

12. hltiki

hltiki Member

Ib4 Jlin airball against Miami.

kekekekeke :p

13. wincan459

wincan459 Member

This post is so subjective, it borders stubidity.

You are just making a bunch of statements which are impossible to prove or disprove.

"Clutch", like "hot hand", is rather subjective. At this early stage of Lin's career, it isn't worth to argue about.

That been said, there is a lot evidence showing Lin can perform pressure situation, within his capability of course.

14. wincan459

wincan459 Member

fixed.

15. nchan

nchan Member

LOL, people just couldn't forget about that airball. His layout airball was funnier, though.

16. TheLastPope

TheLastPope Member

so
    K.Martin = 18 points a game
    Lamb= 5-8 points a game

wouldnt help:rolleyes:

but i can see a 38 win season without Harden

17. WinkFan

WinkFan Contributing Member

Maybe. His game still looks different than before the injury.

18. hltiki

hltiki Member

Haha yea. I think now with the Rockets where they are now, and Lin proving to Houston that he is starter material, we, especially Lin fans, can look back at those games and laugh.

19. bluemars

bluemars Member

I have seen people comparing Lin and Harden's stats in the last 2 minutes of the game. Lin has shot 77.8% in the last 2 minutes of the game while Harden has shot a miserable 25.7%. Unfortunately, this is not a fair comparison. Harden has taken 35 attempts in the last 2 minutes while Lin has only taken 9. Since Lin has taken so few attempts, it makes sense that the opportunities in which he chooses to shoot are much higher percentage shots. As a result, we would not expect Lin to be hitting at this high of a rate if his usage went up in the last 2 minutes of the game.

Nevertheless, it should be abundantly clear that Harden is being overused at the end of the game. 25.7% is horrible. It doesn't necessarily mean that Harden is a worse player in clutch scenarios. My guess is that he is taking the game on his shoulders and forcing difficult shots. In any case, this absolutely needs to change. I truly believe that a wide open, average NBA player is a 100% better choice than having your best player force a difficult shot. The last shot of the Memphis game was a great shot that was created by a great player, but the stats overwhelmingly suggest that Harden is not being used properly at the end of the game. (I believe he missed that shot because he was tired. The guy didn't sit at all in the 2nd half...)

As many have pointed out, the ball often stops when it reaches Harden. I have seen many plays in which the movement is good and the defense is scrambling. When the ball gets to Harden he holds it allowing the defense to set again. Yes, Harden is our most offensively skilled player and I am not saying he should pass the ball every time, but I would like him to take advantage of the prior ball movement and at the very least act immediately upon receiving the ball. We saw how effective good ball movement can be when he was injured.

20. kwongadong

kwongadong Member

Rockets down by 8 in the 4th, Lin with two 3 pt makes, no look pass to Asik for a dunk, plus two Harden free throws to tie it up...and all some people can talk about is the Miami airball. SMH. What's the opposite of rose colored glasses?