1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    The NBA Draft is here! Come join Clutch in the ClutchFans Room Wednesday night at 6:30pm CT as we host the live online NBA Draft Watch Party. Who will the Rockets select at #3?

NBA Draft - LIVE!

ClutchFans Game Thread: Grizzlies @ Rockets 4/12/2013

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Apr 11, 2013.

1. Phillycheese

Phillycheese Member

And when they can't criticise the player that they don't like because that player has a sparkling public image, they criticise him through his fans because the fans are an easier target. I have no issues with criticising a player constructively, but there are some posters here who have an irrational hate on one player or other.

2. Phillycheese

Phillycheese Member

Example 1 - Deron Williams in the rematch against Lin's Knicks last year. Example 2 - just recent game where Lin was 6 for 6 to start a game.
    Example 3 - Parsons 3 pt binge earlier this year

You'll never know if you stop feeding him the ball.

3. Omron

Omron Member

Get outta here. That Harden shot was in-and-out. Any coach who puts the ball in your 2nd or 3rd best player (and that's what Lin is on the Rockets) instead of your all-star player and possibly the 2nd best SG in the league needs to be fired.

4. RRockets

RRockets Member

Without Harden, this team is nothing

I agree that Harden is the most important player in this team.

But I would not go to say "without Harden this team is nothing" without any hesitation because I recall there were two wins that happened to be without Harden due to his injury:

March 30 Rockets vs Clippers 98:81
    April 1, Rockets vs Magic 111:103

5. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

2 games? That's a very worthless sample size. I could point to 2 quality wins the Orlando Magic and Phoenix Suns have had...doesn't mean they're not terrible.

If you just look at the talent on the team without Harden, it is easily a bottom 10 roster in the league. Our best player would be Jeremy Lin or Chandler Parsons, and quite simply that would be a rough season to endure.

You also have to look at what Harden does for his teammates. He takes SO much attention away from dudes like Lin and Parsons. He gets open looks for shooters on a very consistent basis. He gets to the line more than anybody in the league to get easy points. He is a perfect fit for our offense.

Not saying we'd be the Bobcats. But we definitely aren't a playoff team, and we're most likely a 30 win team without Harden.

6. Phillycheese

Phillycheese Member

No one said to put the last shot in anyone else's hands. Stop looking for the strawman.

7. Velcromium

Velcromium Member

Speaking of highlights, did anyone see that huge racked lady ( . )( . ) in the stands, she was wearing like a red lacey top? Me and my girl always get a chuckle when we point out huge racks, hell she even pauses it for me to come see some big t*** and since we were on vlc, she missed it when I said "holy s$hit they let her in wearing that?

8. GoRox2013

GoRox2013 Member

Lin definitely came thru in the clutch

My gripe was the offense. Mchale simply doesn't call enough plays down the stretch. Absolutely no misdirection or ball movement & backdoor plays for easy buckets. We literally had to rush the ball up because there was NO WAY we were getting a good shot with Memphis's defense set.

I remember Adelman was king of getting us great shots off backdoor plays

9. Htownballer38

Htownballer38 Member

@Phillycheese, Ive noticed that a lot as well, especially on here when it comes to Lin and Harden. And I am with you on the constructive criticizing any player no matter if you like them or not...Keep it 100 ....

10. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

Force-feeding the ball to someone because he made a few shots is also not a good strategy, however.

That said, if Lin was open and the pass was there, I'm all for getting him the ball.

11. RRockets

RRockets Member

2 people like this.
  12. Phillycheese

Phillycheese Member

After that crappy first 8 min of the 4Q, fans of Lin should be bowing down to McHale's feet for keeping him in for the whole Q. 4 t/o's in the 4th - wow! That definitely should put to bed the lack of trust argument. This game was a good learning experience for the Rox, and if you're a fan of the team, that is the only way to see it. The team played a likely playoff foe, played a tough playoff type game, played a game that was low scoring, close. After their two best players stunk it up for most of the 4Q, after some questionable ref calls, the team still had a chance to win. and the 6th place team also lost so there was no ground lost in the standing. and got the final shot in the hands of their best player, open too. This was a great game for the Rox.

13. durvasa

I need to see the video to judge whether defenders would have been able to cover him. You'd usually get a cleaner 3-point shot via a kick-out, because the defense has to shift directions to get back to the perimeter. I can't tell from that image where the defenders are leaning. Bayless and Conley are both pretty quick in covering distance, and Lin doesn't have the fastest of releases. My guess is Lin would have to put the ball on the floor and create off the dribble. Maybe something good comes out of it, but then personally I'd be more comfortable with Harden creating off the dribble from the top of the key.

14. TheJet

TheJet Member

We all know what happened but let's pretend we didn't.

Tough call. Lin could have been covered up in a matter of seconds depending on which way his man was moving. Harden could have blown by his man and the lane is wide open. Of course defenders would have collapsed on him, so does he force contact and hope for a whistle? Pass to an even more open play like he did a few plays before? Hit a cutting player on the base line for an easy two? Lots of options. One of those being pass to an open Lin with ten seconds on the clock. I'd say he didn't choose the correct option on that play, but a Lin 3 wasn't the only option.

15. TheJet

TheJet Member

Agreed. A single snap shot of a play we know the outcome to isn't a way to prove a point. Yes, Harden had other options. No, it wasn't a boneheaded play not passing to Lin (at the time). Hindsight is always 20/20.

16. Velcromium

Velcromium Member

IMO an emphatic YES! He was open, he wanted the damn ball!

I don't know why Lin during the start of games, that he is so reserved, but come towards the end of games he is clutch. Maybe he is starting to follow Harden, who wakes up during 4th quarter.

Anyway f@uck the tie, I would have gone for the win.

17. Nook

Nook Member

That was 2 games.. Teams often play well for a few games without their best player, but not for an extended period of time. If you take Harden off the Rockets we would be well below .500 and possibly in the bottom of the division.

Lin may well have more points and assists if Harden wasn't on the Rockets (maybe not depending on how Lin would handle the double) but Lin would not be as efficient or as good a player.

18. Phillycheese

Phillycheese Member

Memphis was daring Harden to pass to Lin. Noticed they took away both corner threes. Clogged up the lane to stop any drive to the basket. Basically bet the farm that a 33% 3 pt shooter could beat them or a forced 3 pointer from Harden to beat them. Look, either way the Rox would have the percentages against them.

I think the more daring play would be to swing the pass to Lin, which would pull one defender towards the 3 pt line and then a lob into Omer as he had a much shorter Prince on him.

19. SuperStar

SuperStar Member

Lin was like 3-11 before the 2 3's and ast to Asik. While he wasn't hot, he was starting to heat up.

Lin's 4th qtr

11:37 Lin Rebound (Off:1 Def:4)
    11:35 Lin Foul: Offensive (3 PF)
    11:35 Lin Turnover : Foul (1 TO)
    08:31 Lin Turnover : Bad Pass (2 TO)
    06:45 Lin 3pt Shot: Missed
    05:39 Lin Running Jump Shot: Missed
    05:17 Lin Turnover : Lost Ball (3 TO) Steal:Gasol (3 ST)
    05:14 Lin Foul: Personal (4 PF)
    03:49 Lin Foul: Offensive Charge (5 PF)
    03:49 Lin Turnover : Foul (4 TO)

03:13
    [HOU 71-76] Lin 3pt Shot: Made (14 PTS) Assist: Harden (5 AST)
    02:36
    [HOU 73-76] Asik Slam Dunk Shot: Made (8 PTS) Assist: Lin (5 AST)
    01:33
    [HOU 78-78] Lin 3pt Shot: Made (17 PTS) Assist: Harden (6 AST)

20. durvasa

A lob play to Omer at the end of the game would definitely be daring. Not sure it would be smart, though.