1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

ClutchFans Game Thread: Grizzlies @ Rockets 12/3/2005

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Dec 1, 2005.

1. blazer_ben

blazer_ben Rookie

As i said earlier, he got a raw deal.

2. gotoloveit2

gotoloveit2 Contributing Member

Well, I think it's more accurate to say Stoke likes to label anyone defending Yao as YOF more than hating on Yao himself.

3. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

Zone's were illegal then.....they can't lob the ball over when Yao is fronted because there is a man in the lane behind him too.....

Zone's hurt big men, but help the little guys....it is more of a guards and small forwards league now....

DD

4. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

It hasn't stopped Kevin Garnett or Tim Duncan, and Shaq has been slowed down more by his own injuries than he was by any zone.

At Yao's highest expectations, he was at least expected to MATCH these three.

Also, using the zone argument as an overall panacea is innacurate. Yao has been given plenty of non-zone attention these days (the traditional double team), and hasn't handled it all that well (many turnovers, and don't ever expect him to score over 2 guys).

5. zhao1109

zhao1109 Contributing Member

I think TD is not very good at fronting.

DIRK did that to him two days ago and TD had bad game

6. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

The difference is in the offense....

TD and KG both get the ball facing the basket......JVG NEVER gives Yao that chance....he should.

DD

7. brasss

brasss Member

you are wrong....YAO did revolutionize the game......refs now call weird bad fouls on him all the time that would not happen with any other player.

8. gotoloveit2

I dont think neither KG nor Duncan plays exclusively in the low post like Yao does. And part of the reason why Shaq was so great was because the refs let him play his games.

9. bplld

bplld Contributing Member

Wow, 26 points in the first half. I didnt know that.

Go ahead and blame the players for thie crappy offense, but please look at JVGs track record once all of you JVG lovers.

10. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

TD and KG do more damage in the low post. I've also seen Yao try to take his man off the dribble countless times... it either results in a smaller player coming in to make Yao fumble the ball (which rarely happens to TD or KG), or the defender is just quick enough to get in front of Yao (who has no comparable quickness to either of the above players... thus, why should he expected to automatically be an effective face up player?)

Yao is slow, methodical, and pretty predictable when he has the ball anywhere but 10 feet from the basket. His main advantage, his height, his best utilized in the low post. He's never going to be quick enough to take his man off the dribble... and if he was, we'd be running iso plays for him like we do for T-mac.

In the end, great players are great despite the system... Hakeem was, Barkley was, Jordan was (pre-triangle), even T-mac is. This isn't the NFL... in the NBA, individuality is EVERYTHING.

Yao is great at what he's capable of... I just wish he was capable of more.

11. declan32001

declan32001 Member

Um, Jeff, er game 7 in Dallas. We were uh, exposed. Guard penetration kills us even when we hit our shots. Too bizarre.

12. gotoloveit2

Wow, I guess this really makes JVG feeling more at home just like Madison Square Garden. :D

13. YaoTheMan

YaoTheMan Contributing Member

Why are we talking about Yao? look at the boxscore, we have the same total FG percentage and about same # of shots, but we allowed 12 more 3 point shots. That means for equal chances, we lost 12 points. Isn't it what happened tonight? Are you guys saying Yao should make 6 more baskets while blocking 6 more shots to compensate the sloppy plays from the guards? some people are f*** ridiculous...

14. Rocketeer

Rocketeer Contributing Member

Am I the only one who thinks that JVG's "intense practices" might be getting to the 2nd oldest team in the NBA? They ALL looked sooo slow tonight. Didn't they have intense paractices for those 3 days they were off?

15. TMac640

TMac640 Contributing Member

I'm glad a wedding saved me from watching this game.

PATHETIC

16. tigermission1

tigermission1 Contributing Member

As I said before when McGrady was still injured: getting him back is NOT going to solve our problems, because they go waaaay beyond him and Yao. The supporting cast has the collective IQ of Cato, and the backcourt is even worse than last season, when we lost to Dallas because of that very reason and vowed to return this season having solved that issue once and for all.

Failed off-season, we were wrong to doubt Jerry West's assessment of Stro, We took a gamble on Rafer and so far it ain't paying off, the guards from last season (JB, DW, Sura) are all either injured, getting older, and worse than last year regardless of the reason why. We lost Padget who gave us some spurts of offense last season, and McGrady is worse health-wise.

Seriously, let's just retool, this season is lost as far as our championship aspirations are concerned, regardless of what we do. Who the heck would trade us an impact player for an expiring contract or two? Short of taking on an overpaid player (a Boozer, a Joe Johnson, or whatever else) and get stuck with his contract, it will be damn near impossible to do anything significant before the season ends and we get rid of all the dead weight we have (Moochie/DW/JB/Baker), which means we will need to find a way to get rid of an overpaid Alston and either Howard or Swift.

Yah, well, hopefully we can at least do something to prepare ourselves for the future.

17. sun12

sun12 Member

Very true, great players are great despite the system. However, you got to admit that if Hakeem played with the new rule (zone defense, emphasizing quickness), Houston would never win a NBA championship. Teams would double-team Hakeem even before he got the ball. Houston's role players are just not good enough to make other teams' pay.

18. sun12

sun12 Member

Only Mark Cuban can save this team, firing JVG won't solve it. Cuban can spend the money, Les won't.

19. lost_elephant

lost_elephant Contributing Member

We might not have won that first championship had the Sonics not been knocked out in the first round by the Nuggets. The Sonics played zone defense back then and it gave us fits.

20. blazer_ben

blazer_ben Rookie

Voice of reason as allways. post more my friend. :) Boozer would look great here, but we dont have any real pieces to convience utah of dealing with us. Swift is not a sloan type player, s he aint a trade baite.