1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

ClutchFans Game Thread: Grizzlies @ Rockets 12/3/2005

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Dec 1, 2005.

1. count_dough-ku

count_dough-ku Contributing Member

T-Mac came back because Van Gundy knew he couldn't afford to take any chances against the Hawks. Losing to them at home would've gotten him fired before he even made it back to the locker room.

2. Kyrodis

Kyrodis Contributing Member

Me? Why would I be upset? It's a message board...I'm just voicing my opinion. :)

3. MFW2310

MFW2310 Contributing Member

Of course. Which part of my post did you disagree with? That Yao scored basically the same amount as he did the previous couple of quarters as he did the 4th? The evidence of garbage time stats is astounding. Moron.

4. blazer_ben

blazer_ben Rookie

I dont think he hates Yao, he just sees a great player with so much untapped potential, who is content to stay just a border-line allstar.

5. Gummi Clutch

Gummi Clutch Contributing Member

And Sura is where exactly right now???

6. MFW2310

MFW2310 Contributing Member

Dude, I think you missed the smiley.

7. Gatorfan76

Gatorfan76 Contributing Member

Too bad Rafer sucks just as much as Derek Anderson- he didn't help us at all when he was healthy and playing anyway .

O for 3 !! I cannot believe none of the trades the Rox made worked out!
    -Rafer, DA , and Stro are all busts for this team -

8. RocketForever

RocketForever Contributing Member

Being Chinese means you have a free pass to be stupid?

The non-Chinese posters here should cry racial discrimination.

9. gotoloveit2

gotoloveit2 Contributing Member

C'mon ben, you are better than that. I dont care if he is brown, red, or uranioid. To me, he's just a kid trying to have fun by irritating people here. What if he is a 12 year-old Chinese kid, does it make you feel any better in defending him.

10. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Bingo.

Yao isn't going to "revolutionize" the game, like we thought he had the potential to do 2 years ago. 20 and 10 is good, mostly because nobody in the league can do it anymore consistently... but that says more about where the league is now, rather than how good Yao is.

In the 80's and 90's, you were EXPECTED to get 20 and 10 from your 'superstar' PF or C. Akeem did it as a rookie, and never stopped doing it after that (and Yao has had MUCH more basketball training than he did).

I think we forgot how dominant some of these big men really used to be... and thus, we evaluate Yao only relatively and not absolutely.

11. blazer_ben

blazer_ben Rookie

Bingo, they are all the wrong pieces on this team. we need players who are smart without the ball. positioning is everything. this team just is not smart.

12. Rockets111

Rockets111 Contributing Member

[12.3.05] Rockets-Grizzlies Game Recap

Boo’s Serenade Rockets as Memphis Overwhelms Houston 90-75

Eventually enough is enough. Houston fans had been patient long enough to wait through the assortment of injuries that the Rockets had suffered through their first 15 games. They had been willing to sit back and engage through long playing stints of players such as Ryan Bowen and Moochie Norris. However, the Rockets showed little heart and determination Saturday night as the Rockets allowed the Memphis Grizzlies to take an early 34-13 lead. Therefore, the 17,135 fans at Toyota Center only saw it necessary to voice their displeasure by booing their beloved team at every possible juncture during the Rockets’ 75-90 loss.

Don’t let the final score fool you. Only a few late baskets allowed the Rockets to make the final margin look somewhat respectable. But in reality, Memphis grabbed this game by the throat from the opening tip. Houston started the first quarter shooting 2-11 as Memphis jumped out to a 16-7 lead midway through the period. The Rockets’ defensive rotations were deplorable, allowing Memphis any open shot they wanted. Led by the 3-point shooting of Damon Stoudamire (who finished the half with 12 points on 4-5 3s) and Bobby Jackson (11 points on 3-4 3s), the Grizzlies went on a late 18-4 run in the period to force a 34-13 advantage heading into the second quarter.

The Grizzlies built their lead to 23 points early midway through the second until the Rockets closed to within 19 after Norris and Tracy McGrady (who scored his first basket of the game 18 minutes into the contest) scored consecutive baskets. However, that brief sign of life proved meaningless as Swift missed an open layup, Yao Ming (who would finish the half with 12 points and 3 rebounds) had his shot blocked by 6’8” Shane Battier, and Memphis scored six consecutive points to hold a halftime lead of 47-26. The 26 points marked the lowest point total that Houston has scored this season as the Rockets allowed the Grizzlies to shoot 18-35 from the field (and 7-13 from 3-point range), while only shooting a discouraging 11-36 from the floor themselves.

The Rockets would put together a few consecutive baskets throughout the second half, but nothing that would put them within any reasonable distance of the Grizzlies. Memphis’ crisp passing and player movement allowed them to stave off any threat of a Rockets comeback. Battier hit a couple of three-pointers early in the third quarter, and Jackson hit two more of his own late as the Grizzlies held a 73-50 lead going into the fourth and final stanza.

Houston closed to within 17 points late in the fourth but more clutch treys from Jackson and Stoudamire secured Houston’s twelfth loss of the season. Jackson and Stoudamire combined for 42 of Memphis’ 90 total points and shot a combined 11-15 from the land of plenty. Battier added 14, and Pau Gasol added 15 points and seven rebounds of his own to round out a well-balanced offensive game by the Grizzlies. Yao led the Rockets with 29 points and seven boards, but McGrady was the only other Rocket in double-figure scoring, and he only managed 12 points on 5-15 shooting.

Two things stick out of this game: the poor execution of the Rockets on the defensive end, and the lack of scoring threats on offense. The Rockets failed to rotate efficiently on defense, allowing for a plethora of open shot opportunities for Memphis. On offense, there was no ball movement, nor player movement, as the Rockets looked reluctant and/or unwilling to create any action. This is a tired, discouraged basketball team who look miserable on the court, and seem unsure of their roles and who is supposed to be where and when on both sides of the court.

The Grizzlies came in having won four straight, with three of those games won by atleast twenty points. The Rockets knew that the Grizzlies were strong with dribble penetration and the pick-and-roll, but showed nothing new to solve those facets. With the Grizzlies playing the second game of a back-to-back set, and with the Rockets having not played since Tuesday, it was disgusting to see the type of effort and energy the Rockets put forth into Saturday’s match.

“I can’t remember of a worse collective effort, and it’s disappointing,” Rockets head coach Jeff Van Gundy said following the game.

Houston has another two days off before facing the Boston Celtics at Toyota Center on Tuesday.

ROCKETS RECAP

· Memphis shot 15-32 from the 3-point line.
    · The Rockets outscored Memphis 42-24 from the paint.
    · The Grizzlies’ starting backcourt outscored the Rockets’ 31-14.
    · Luther Head and Stromile Swift combined for 9 of Houston’s 21 turnovers.
    · The Rockets have yet to win a game against a Southwest Division opponent, and are now 0-5.

http://www.nba.com/games/20051203/MEMHOU/boxscore.html

13. wnes

wnes Contributing Member

Let me tell ya something my non-Chinese friend, him being a Chinese has absolutely no bearing on other Chinese calling him out on this BBS. It's one thing to criticize Yao's lack of effort or dumb play, it's a whole different matter if you nitpick Yao's every insignificant fault and disparage him personally in a game when he is the only player on his team who produces admirable offensive numbers. His asinine comments on Yao make Texas Stoke a far more respectable poster.

14. hooroo

hooroo Member

he was sacked for not getting along and playing dunleavy.

15. hangxy

hangxy Member

It's the coach who made the players look stupid!!!!!!

16. gotoloveit2

gotoloveit2 Contributing Member

I personally never expected Yao to revolutionizing the game. Unfortunately, it was David Stern. :p

17. wnes

wnes Contributing Member

Yeah, don't make me relate your moniker to something nasty known to every Chinese poster here.

18. Kyrodis

Kyrodis Contributing Member

Hah...Texas Stoke has always been hard on Yao, but he's hard on everyone else as well. :)

19. wnes

wnes Contributing Member

Make no mistake about that, I think Stoke is fair.

20. blazer_ben

blazer_ben Rookie

As said, yao has been good for the last 5 games or so. anyhow, thats what MODS are for. if he expresses his thoughts without resorting to vulgared mannerd language, he is free to express his thoughts. if the MODS see fit for him to continue posting, then who are we to argue.

You can report his post to the MODS, but starting a whole thread about him being band, is not usefull.