1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

ClutchFans Game Thread: Grizzlies @ Rockets 10/21/2022

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Oct 20, 2022.

1. thekad

thekad Member

Jabari shall be our tank king. Call the banners.

hakeem94 and cdastros like this.
  2. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

Look, so far, even though it is sort of preseason for Jabari he has looked really poor.

Getting owned on D, zero rebounding, and can't hit the broadside of a barn.

He needs to start hitting and rebounding or his ASS will be hitting the pine more often.

DD

Stephen_A and Hakeemtheking like this.
  3. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

Isn't this what I said though that near the end of the game they were able to get stops on him? Showing that it actually is possible to get stops on him proving that my initial point was that they should play better defense on him?

This is the actual purpose of an NBA defense, to make it difficult for players to score, no matter who they are. You think the Bad Boy Pistons were like "Ahh man it doesn't matter how we defend Jordan, just let him do whatever..." or did they actually try schemes and have ideas on how to slow him down and make it harder? Look at Kobe vs the Celtics when KG's Celtics frustrated the hell out of Kobe with their Box and 1 defense.

Yes, you can say the Rockets don't have that kind of personnel but you sure as hell don't just let him ISO at the top with little help against KPJ.

Yes, he's Ja Morant, I never said he could get shut down or that those two possessions before the half cost us the game, I was criticizing the poor defense they played on him for those possessions, allowing him to just breeze into the lane and do what he want, and yes later in the game they did show that they could make it harder for him. If he has to hit floaters or tough layups and hits them. Good. That's good defense, you live by it, you tip your hat, you move on.

KPJ is just not a good defender on quick guards like that, which is why they probably had Green check him for a lot of the game and probably because they want Green to be up for those challenges too, but as you point out it didn't matter because of Adam's picks and the big man either not contesting the three (which I'm sure they were giving him that to start the game as teams will often see if he has the range for that night but he made them pay) or the bigs were just not playing disciplined defense in the paint, but it certainly can be done. As we saw they were better at filling the lane and at least denying him lay ups.

Yes, when he's hitting the three like tonight he's near impossible to defend, it doesn't mean to just throw in the towel. My whole point was that their defensive plan for those possessions was not good enough and hell if they were playing any above average guard with some quickness they'd probably give him a career night too with how they were reacting to his drives.

But this is my last post on this, it is a trivial thing after all...

4. OpportunityCost

How different would our future be if we could've drafted Cade and Paolo?

5. Gimmmethemike

Gimmmethemike Member

thats what she said lol

6. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

Entertaining game. Competitive loss, perfect outcome for this team.

-Great to see the developing brilliance of Mr. Green. He looks like the real deal and a guy who can be a real cornerstone.
    -Sengun had a strong showing, I like him off the bench, as a real offensive threat. He'll be good, just work on those free throws. Not sure he is a closer though.
    -Fernando is probably not a long term piece, but a better version of him likely will be, however it is that we get that player. From a team building standpoint, its good to get the reps in with this type of player. The rim running, shot blocking, defensive anchor archetype (Hopefully Wemby, but maybe a lower pick like Lively / Ware, or Turner in Free agency).
    -I always want more Eason. I wish Gordon was gone to free up more Eason time. You can already tell this guy is going to be am absolute monster contributor. We knew about the hustle, defense and rebounding. The three point shooting is just like a cherry on top.
    -Smith is frustrating so far. I hate the dribble drives, there is absolutely nothing there. That rando pre draft statistic about being god awful at finishing near the rim was clearly no fluke. I have yet to see any evidence of him being an elite shooter in the NBA environment. I really see his future as a really high end 3 and D role player, but he has got to start hitting shots.
    -KPJ looks the same as last year. He is decidedly average. I am leaning more and more in not keeping him. He is just not bringing a lot to the table, outside of just replacement level play. The entire decision tree on keeping this guy is basically if whether or not we have the opportunity to spend cap or draft someone better at the one / primary ball handler.
    -KMJ - I am bullish on him, I think he is a solid 7th man, 20 minute a night type of player.
    - I have a hard time seeing Jgup, Mathews, Garuba as long term rotation pieces.

When I envision the future, here is what I see:

(KPJ?) / (Open)
    Green / KMJ
    Eason / Tate
    Smith / (Open)
    (Open) / Sengun

This year should about getting those guys use to those spots and growing as players, while gearing up and shore up the future roster this offseason with a top pick and free agency.

#1486 larsv8, Oct 22, 2022
    Last edited: Oct 22, 2022
    hakeem94 and ramotadab like this.
  7. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

Are you by chance mixing up KPJ and KMJ? A little confused by your depth chart and commentary for those two.

8. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

Indeed, too many KJs

DeBeards likes this.
  9. Gimmmethemike

Gimmmethemike Member

$TFU fat @$$ hater, no one cares what you have to say DD.

seeingredtx likes this.
  10. OpportunityCost

Why are there no videos of KPJ passing?

11. RasaqBoi

RasaqBoi Member

So glad we have Green, Not Cunningham. Not Mobley not barnes

it took this kid one off season, the game is in slow mo for him.

Stephen_A, clos4life, bmelo and 7 others like this.
  12. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

lets sign stone and silas to 2 decades extension today!

RasaqBoi, aaquaa and DeBeards like this.
  13. JW86

JW86 Member

Lots of positive signs, from Green going off, Sengun showing why we should be excited about him to Tari & KMJ first off the bench and Christopher being benched for playing selfishly.

clos4life, Hakeemtheking and aaquaa like this.
  14. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

its more like another decade...losing is contagious and addictive and it gets in the peoples blood...look at the philly...5 years of tanking straight and still rubbish and in need of more tanking...

aaquaa likes this.
  15. Stephen_A

Stephen_A Member

Bad overall defense. Need to be more active pressing players. Too much space between. Need to run through a lot of those perimeter screens. Grizzlies offense is all about complex screens for shooters and morant in high screen or tight spaces. Rox need to jump/push thru those screens, trap/blitz, or play a more aggressive drop coverage. Rox defense is too lax on the perimeter overall.

On offense no identity. KPJ doing too much shooting and not playmaking for team. That’s why I think the long term solution for a pg next to KPJ should be either a playmaking pt guard that sets up other players or a good sturdy defensive guy that can shoot allowing Green to be primary playmaker. Too disjointed right now.

Hakeemtheking likes this.
  16. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

With an extremely young team it is mostly closing out games.

And consistency.

DeBeards likes this.
  17. Magicsaint

Magicsaint Member

Even with losses, overall team looks much improved than last year. Games have been close enough and mistakes is expected with so many 2nd year and 1st year rookies. Need a good playmaker though and hoping KPJ takes on that role going forward.

clos4life and Hakeemtheking like this.
  18. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

The team wins you the most games, period, you could have all the high scoring SGs you want.

If you do not have a high functioning team it is just a waste of the cherry on top.

I said it again and again. Silas is not a good coach, not for veterans and not your young folks, he is a decent person and likable even, knows basketball basics but not enough for an upcoming team.

With an owner who is semi blind to these things and staying cheap.

19. giddyup

giddyup Contributing Member

Yes, he directed it at Charles Barkley in-game.

20. Holybats

Holybats Member

Perfect scenario. Play hard and lose. Great to see young guns improvement.

PatBev likes this.