1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

ClutchFans Game Thread: Clippers @ Rockets 11/2/2022

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Nov 1, 2022.

1. Hank McDowell

Hank McDowell Member

Dude. Eric Gordon needs to be gone. He’s checked out completely, and the ONLY reason he’s here is to be a positive influence. He did basically nothing in 33 minutes, the second most minutes played, and his stat line was essentially empty. He took 4 shots, missed them all, no free throws, 2 boards, 2 assists, that’s a pathetic effort from your team leader.

2. ashleyem

ashleyem Member

Silas needs to go first.

bmelo, Bo6, theDude and 2 others like this.
  3. TimDuncanDonaut

I promised myself not to look at the standings but here it is.

Team. W - L (win rate)
    --------------------------------------
    Kings 2 - 5 (28.6%)
    Nets 2 - 6 (25.0%)
    Pistons 2 - 7 (22.2%)
    Lakers 1 - 5 (16.7%)
    Magic 1 - 7 (12.5%)
    Rockets 1 - 8 (11.1%)

To have a 20 win season (20 of 82), the pace is a 24% win rate. We're last in the league at 11%. Not mad (just a little numb); and keeping an eye around our 'peers'.

Team has too many inexperienced players. Not only do I not want to get rid of Gordon, I think we need more vet role players. (yes not popular opinion). The vets can be mid to late 20s. If not this year; definitely next year.

Our entire core does not ALL have to be super young. Say 2 of 5 ends up being a core in a few years, the other spots can be replenished. Most teams refill every few years; very few starting roster stay entirely static. And they don't all have to be all home grown,

This year is whatever but next year we should be gutting some of the prospects for more proven guys.

#903 TimDuncanDonaut, Nov 3, 2022
    Last edited: Nov 3, 2022
    DeBeards and charlieaustin like this.
  4. CHAMPBOY

CHAMPBOY Member

This was a good game for us to learn from. Silas finally is using Sengun in some of the offense. In tonight game, we had more rebounds than them, and we were close to them in assists and turnovers. Sengun is a 20 point and 10+ rebounds a game player. We have two very good defenders in Tari and Bari, and we are led by a dynamic back court that both guys are averaging 20 points a game. We need to find a finisher for our team like either Porter or Sengun. We are on the right track. It’s ok that Jabari’s shot is off, he need more time to adjust with the NBA rims, the physicality and speed of the NBA. We will win soon.

5. Tfor3

Tfor3 Member

Sengun. Oh my. LOOKIN DAMN good!

Kept it close but the turnovers!

6. ashleyem

ashleyem Member

2 Nov - L 101-109 to LAC

(On where can discipline come from with this group)

“That’s a good question. I mean, (pause), yeah, we, we continue to do it, try to make more play calls at the beginning, um, yeah, I just have to watch film and figure it out.”

(On why turnovers happen)

“Sometimes it’s someone try to do, try to, like, help, you know, try to do a little too much. Sometimes over penetration and turning the ball over, sometimes it’s execution. Unfortunately for a young team, it’s not surprising.”

(On whether winning would help solve the issue)

“Maybe winning would help, but, I think experience would help us a little bit more.”

7. Kevooooo

Kevooooo Member

I’m getting very annoyed with how our guys hold the ball instead of moving it. They wait a few seconds before even dribbling, even with no one else moving or setting up action. Then try to pass (or mostly throw up bad shots) at the last second. What does it take to drill into these guys, catch, move or pass. Don’t hold the ball. I watched some of the Nets game last night. Even KD and kyrie, two HOF iso capable players generally play within the offense. Discipline. Maturity. We sorely lack it.

and Jabari. Dude you take awful shots.

8. Germanturk

Germanturk Member

Jabari Smith makes me ill!!
    He is maybe the worst Top 3 Pick of the last 20 years in the NBA!! He is a kid and he can´t play with men.
    If you want lose let him play! I see nothing at this guy. How can he stay 27 minutes on the floor?!
    Eric Gordon is also trolling now! 0 Points in 33 Minutes! He is the only veteran and he must take responsibility!
    Too much greenhorns cant win these games!

9. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

ah if only they had someone to kindly and wisely explain this to them , discipline them, advise them for their own good...

i have a strange feeling someday there will exist a person on every team(!) charged with the duty of doing just that, he will be paid for it and people will call him coach...

10. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

stop insulting the MVP, hes a poet a magician a wizzard of basketball!

LeDakota and Ankara1923 like this.
  11. JW86

JW86 Member

Looking at what Wood is doing with the Mavs, it's obvious how players benefit from having a set role and a system. The roles will not be clear on a young team like this, at least not for a while, but having a system would definitely go a long way. And I fear Jabari will get lost if Silas and company don't provide something more clear soon. He's not getting in on any pick and roll or pick and pop action and our guards don't seem to trust him, they see he's wide open, but instead opt for a 3 pointer for themselves. Hell, even Nix looked him off today!!

Jabari is definitely getting tested, so if he can maintain his work ethic, keeps his head down and tries to prove he's supposed to get more shots than we will have something. If he allows this to get to him and he starts to doubt himself, pout and get frustrated too much then we're in for a long year. Even the latter is not some doom scenario as people here already calling for his head, worst pick in 20 years etc. You guys need to step back from the keyboard. On the bright side, Sengun is shining and I highly, highly doubt he'll go back to the bench.

12. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

The Ego situation is jarring.

13. Hank McDowell

Hank McDowell Member

Can’t have it from your veteran leader. Last night felt like a statement to me. Maybe I’m wrong, but a guy like Eric Gordon doesn’t have a stat line like that if he’s actually trying. It feels like another one of his “not having fun” moments, especially after his little twitter spat the night before and his indifference on the bench to the Jalen Green Jabari Smith thing a few games ago. The losing seems to be taking a toll, and he doesn’t seem to be handling it the way you might hope a guy in his roll on a team like this would.

mirdirir, Bo6, CircaSurvive and 3 others like this.
  14. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

The game last night was good, by Rockets standards. It wasn't absolute misery; it was just a game where our team was outmatched. That's progress!

15. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

Didnt get to see the game - dumb Astro party, but basing only off the box score looks like these guys may be looking like they are getting more comfortable with each other? When did Alpy foul out? Looks like he had a great game! So is Jalen still a bust and or nah? LOL Scooter doing his thing best +/- from the starters .. starting to look like solid vet numbers. Jabari looked like a rough night its all good just keep shooting kid! Needed a little more from the bench last night.

WHY ISNT JOSH CHRISTOPHER PLAYING!!!! Has any journalist asked Silas? Any good reason for it?

It was good for these guys to see Paul George go to work. The more they see stars punch in and do their thing against them the more it should rub off.

On to the next one!

cmoak1982 likes this.
  16. 34to11

34to11 Member

Another game, another random big man gets a season high against the Rockets.
    This team will not be able to manufacture wins until they can stop the layup line in the paint.

Yung-T and Hank McDowell like this.
  17. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

Which player are you referring to and who was defending?

18. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Moses Brown, who was defended by Sengun and Garuba. But Brown's buckets didn't come off one on one scoring, so I wouldn't hold that against Sengun or Garuba exclusively.

Still, it's a bad trend that we've been having.

Yung-T and Verbal Christ like this.
  19. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

Got it. Maybe Bruno will have more defensive success against the random bigs when he comes back being a random big himself! Looks like Alpy neutralized Zubac which is good!

cmoak1982 likes this.
  20. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

Still think we need to find a way to get Garuba min when Bruno comes back, I’m not sure how exactly but I think he’s earned them