1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

ClutchFans Game Thread: Celtics @ Rockets 12/14/2012

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Dec 13, 2012.

1. Luca

Luca Member

Lol it is true I am confused myself let alone lin. Some games you have Delphino or CP handling the ball. I am no expert but my head is just spinning by the lack of his real role.

2. redearth

redearth Contributing Member

I feel the same way. Also, there's no reason to disbelieve coach McHale's post-game comment about it being a decision in the moment whether to play TD or JLin in the 4th. There can't be a conspiracy to keep JLin down. It was another exciting game to watch. We're 500!

3. lfw

lfw Rookie

I think McHale wants the ball in Harden's hands to close out competitive games. He is finishing with Douglas because Douglas spreads the floor for Harden and is shooting a blistering 58% from 3 in the last 5 games. He also had Delfino in last night also.

Unless Lin can improve his 3 point shooting, I think this situation is going to be more and more the norm. Remember, Harden is the foundation player they are trying to develop. Lin was a risk they took in hopes of possibly becoming a foundation player.

Interesting fact is that Lin and Douglas have averaged the same 28.6 minutes the last 5 games.

4. Akim523

Akim523 Member

How do you improve your 3 point shooting without being on the court and actually shoot?

5. SuperStar

SuperStar Member

Lin is averaging over 30 minutes a game and Douglas takes more shots than Lin in a shorter amount of play time.

6. VanityHalfBlack

I'm not gonna tell you bastards again.. Lin is not going ANYWHERE!!!!! If Harden gets injured, who gone be the 2nd man???? Cook???? Don't make me laugh, Ain't nobody getting traded and that's that so SHUT YOUR MOUTH!!!!!

7. Akim523

Akim523 Member

Irrelevant. Douglas is shooting worse than Lin ths season and only got hot in the recent 5 games.

8. SuperStar

SuperStar Member

What was the question again?

9. steady

steady Member

This ..

10. Luca

Luca Member

Lol, Toney didn't you notice, just kidding by the way.

11. pcheung08

pcheung08 Member

I am not sure about show casing especially when he played average at best last night. You don't sit your starting pg when the game is on the line and show casing your backup for a straight 16 minutes, a risk of losing the game. But hey, we won. Lets move on.

12. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Wrong. There's more to the game than just hitting shots. Watch the game again.

13. lfw

lfw Rookie

Lin is just not in a good situation for him right now.

14. FranchiseBlade

Supporting Member

Already talked about it. Running the offense, stepping up when other guys are out, being a leader, getting others involved etc.

Once Harden arrived, Lin's role was never to be the star of the team and the go-to guy.

The great thing about Lin, is that he can fill that role at times. He's awesome for having the heart and ability to do that. He can be that instrumental second guy that teams need to win at a high level.

The problem is that when people are mad because Lin isn't the star number one option. If those weren't the expectations coming in, people wouldn't be so disappointed in Lin, or angry at the coaches use of Lin, or Harden.

15. steady

steady Member

... this last part, if McH and Lin were ever close, I doubt still so after Lin was benched in Mavericks game and again last night. (2/3 games since McHale's return) Don't think anyone's plotting; just not believing in Lin's potential.

Liked your post other than that, agree really exciting time to be Rockets fan.

16. FranchiseBlade

Supporting Member

lol at your lol. Lin got rest, Douglas did well, and the Rockets won. Why does that bother you?

17. Luca

Luca Member

Please see below the analysis by AirSwish:

I know some of you guys keep saying that Lin got to be aggressive or got to handle the ball...etc. But the truth is right in front of us. According to Mchale, in the 4th quarter Douglas was playing really well that he decided to leave Lin on the bench. So I went back and watched the 4th again and I finally realized what Mchale expects from Lin.

1) Scoring? No. Douglas got 1 fast break layup around 10 min mark. I am not counting the 7pts under 3 min because by that time the decision of benching has already been made.
    2) Shooting? No. Douglas took one shot with Terry on his face which he missed.
    3) Assists? Hell No. Douglas had 0. Douglas didn't even attack the basket or even try to run Pnr. The only time he tried he lost the ball but jumped on it and called timeout.
    4) Rebounds? No. He had 0 during this time frame.
    5) Defense? No. He was guarding Terry, which was pretty much spacing and waiting to catch and shoot, but douglas kept waving his arms when Terry had the ball.
    6) Running Offense? No. He brought the ball every time and handed to Harden, Parsons, Delfino and once to Morris.

So what did he do so well?
    1) He stood in front of his guy waving his arms on defense.
    2) He brought the ball up quick and handed the ball and went to the corner and let others create. (Parsons and Delfino and later Harden)
    3) He stayed away from Harden in the corner when he came in around 6 min mark.

So what exactly he meant by playing really well?
    Mchale expects his PG to bring the ball fast and hand it to Harden. Don't try to create (being sticky) unless you are Harden. Move away to the corner by creating more space for the guy with the ball. And occasionally, hit some 3pt when the ball get to you. On defense, stay in front of your guy and move your arms( steals and rebounds help by not a must).

18. lfw

lfw Rookie

Let me append to that. Lin is not in a good situation if he wants to close out games. They will go to Harden. I think Lin will need to significantly outplay Douglas to get to close out games.

19. LCAhmed

LCAhmed Contributing Member

Pretty sure he was hired to dress like one. one of the ushers said hello to him and said "I see you got your celtic green on today"

20. VanityHalfBlack

Lin will be here for 3 yrs... I think he has plenty of time to do that...