1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

ClutchFans Game Thread: Blazers @ Rockets - Vegas Summer League 7/14/2022

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Jul 12, 2022.

1. tehG l i d e

tehG l i d e Member

The Rockets vs. Blazers Summer League game last year was a lot funner. They were down 7 with about a minute to go and stormed back with Garuba's defense and Armoni Brooks clutch shooting. JayGup also had 20 pts on 8-14 shooting. This was when Rockets fans started getting real hyped for him as a rook. What a difference a year makes.

2. Calvin Murphy's Law

I don't really have expectations re. 3% in HS (don't follow HS ball), but I found Jaden Ivey and his stats seem a bit better:
    https://www.maxpreps.com/athlete/jaden-ivey/Qaoys7smEeaAdqA2nzwY6g/basketball/stats.htm
    It's hard to find stats for other guys on that side (or maybe I'm just a moron).

Jabari's HS FT% looks a bit underwhelming to me as well.
    And you could even argue that his college 78-79% (what he shot in college), while really good, doesn't really point towards a potential "generational shooter", which some (definitely not you, don't want to put words in your mouth) were hyping him as.

For comparison, Chet's form in this SL has looked much better to me (quicker and nicer arc). I think he has hit 17/18 FTs so far.

I do expect him to struggle from 3, cuz most rookies do (KD shot around 29% his rookie year).
    But I'd love to see a higher FT% (ideally at least low 80s).

I think there's really a lot to like from Jabari this SL.
    I would not be surprised if he won DPOY some day, he was incredible on the defensive side of the ball.
    But his shooting hasn't been one of those things to me.

Edit: His college FT was actually 79.9%, basicallly 80%. Not 78-79%.

#962 Calvin Murphy's Law, Jul 15, 2022
    Last edited: Jul 15, 2022
  3. i3artow i3aller

4. cheke64

cheke64 Member

the gang and the immaculate vibes

i3artow i3aller likes this.
  5. Juxtaposed Jolt

People are biased because they want TyTy to succeed and be on the Rockets roster instead of on the Vipers or wherever else. And for that to happen, the incumbent / players that are in his way (Nix, for instance) has to be talked down on.

So they find every thing worth picking on, in Nix's game, while ignoring TyTy's shortcomings.

Little Bit likes this.
  6. Boki4MvP

Boki4MvP Member

Because the last decade harden only wanted vet players who either knew how to shoot already or didn’t have a 3 point shooting role

7. Possum

Possum Member

I actually like Christopher but he’s been the main reason the offense hasn’t been able to get on track. I’ll keep his name out of my fckin mouth if you keep his jock out of yours. Now GFY!

clos4life likes this.
  8. BallSoHarden

BallSoHarden Member

I don't think thats what it means. He mentioned how everyone wants to talk about the Rookies and didn't want to exclude anyone, so brought up the growth of their second year players and how hes looking forward to it, and then he didnt want to exclude KPJ so he mentioned him then all he had left was EG and KJ, so he mentioned them both, would have looked bad if he mentioned alll but 2 guys. EG he expanded on because he is doing a lot as far as coming down for summer league for 10 days and putting in the work like a true professional, even if you find him another home it is worth mentioning when someone does that because you want your other guys to hear how that is how its done. I think he didnt want to give too much credit or hype to the rookies, because it sounded like he wanted them to think they have proven nothing by getting drafted, you could tell how he shifted the convo after they were mentioned as being "great". If a deal comes along for EG i think they take it, $20M is a lot to pay for a locker room presence that is still good on both ends and could be competing elsewhere. I am sure they would not just get rid of him for the sake of moving him though.

I really don't like Silas' execution, but I can see why he was hired, he says the right things, you can tell he is smart. Sometimes the smartest people are not great at executing or making decisions under pressure, you kind of need an Alpha I think and Silas is not an Alpha. He is probably good at developing guys and working with them in a different environment than coaching a live game.

9. Gimmmethemike

Gimmmethemike Member

Stop being a dumb ass

10. HorryForThree

HorryForThree Member

I didn't follow Smith much in college, so this Summer League is where I'm making whatever impressions I have of him. Based on his play, it seems to me that he is a much bigger project than I would have assumed on the offensive side of the ball. It might take a full season for him to get comfortable on that end, and I think we're going to have to look at him as a long-term prospect on that end of the floor. He also looks like a player that takes time to calm his nerves. I don't know how he's going to handle that on bigger stages, such as playoff games and the like, but I guess we'll see in time.

I thought Nix had a great summer league, and his outside shot has impressed me more than I thought it would. I'm looking forward to seeing him get more minutes this season.

11. glynch

glynch Contributing Member

With Amazon Prime it was easy to get a free 7 day pass to NBA.com
    Looks easy to stop it. Still a hassle.