1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

ClutchFans Game Thread: Blazers @ Rockets 1/24/2024

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Jan 22, 2024.

1. kingkingston

kingkingston Member

Green shot 50 per cent but that is ok.

2. kingkingston

kingkingston Member

When does the coach start to get the blame? if this was Silas, there would be 20 new threads on him

3. deb4rockets

deb4rockets Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Not in that game he didn't. It was 38%.

4. Kevooooo

Kevooooo Member

Forget if I posted this earlier but s much as it sucks to lose last night …it only happened because they hit some incredible shots. Yah, we gave up that one layup way too quick with 1:20 left. Yah, Alpi missed 1 FT that would have ultimately saved us from OT. But other than that, they only came back bc they hit two absurd shots that were well defended. It didn’t keep me up last night.

edit: technically it did keep me up as I had to start the replay at close to 11

5. Ancient Moabite

Which is why the superstar club is small, its not many legit cornerstones, but the front office tends to over value their lotto picks (Barrett etc) which could play out good or bad, its all a gamble at end of day and ya hope the reward(a hit) was worth the risk

Lot of NBA players do suck, its been roster fillers since at least the 80's, players who flat out sucked and were still overpaid, a bunch of sucky scrub players were making more in NBA salary annually than Jordan

I had no point, just trading a sports convo with you, nothing more nor less

6. Ancient Moabite

I was speaking more so of the dominant bigs who do it day one HOF style

But if you go overall bigs then you may be on to something

I don't think me speaking my opinion is making excuses, its just my view coming from a certain experience so I feel players are wired that way which is a habit and habits are hard to change .... No matter how we view it

Your environment shapes you, and seems he was pampered to the highest degree, which is diff clime&time from the Lebron/KG pamper era, this new age is way less focused on the craft

And the stories about his work ethic/drive is just that...... stories

You always have to showcase that on the court, which he has until his rookie deal to do just that and prove his worthiness

Enjoy the ride

snowconeman22 likes this.
  7. Ancient Moabite

Were you a good two way player in your playing days?

Assuming you played

Playing with high level energy on both sides is taxing for individual players as each are conditioned diff

But a young player should have more energy, and Green should hit his wide open shots regardless, he needs to improve on that and overall like Udoka spoke about preseason

Its on Jalen if he sinks or swim

8. vince

vince Member

Yes it was a gut wrenching loss in OT to the blazers.

But let’s remember, Ime Udoka has gotten the team to make drastic changes from how they played last season, with a lot of early season success. Opposing teams have made adjustments and now the Rockets have to counter those adjustments. Either way even though the Rockets are a few games below .500, they sit solidly for a playoff push.

Green is buying into the system and has taken a few steps backwards, but he’s following the game plan and I fully expect he will continue to improve. I anticipate he will start taking strides forward as the season progresses, and will have a breakthrough year next season. What I like is that he’s not just chucking up shot after shot, he’s playing within the game plan!

Also, missing Jabari Smith was probably a huge factor in not closing out the Portland game in regulation. As Jabari has been a great contributor and taken massive leaps forward. He still has a lot of room for growth and improvement, but all indications is that he is going to be real good, all-star level within a few season(s). With Jabari and his defense, Portland would not have stayed in the game to push for overtime.

Another factor is the coach trying to get Whitmore and Amen into the regular rotation. Both are playing excellent, and show star potential, but both are rookies and young. So they will need patience, and growing pains. But under this coach and team they are needing to earn their minutes, which they rightfully are doing just that.

The final difference between the team at the beginning of the season which was in the playoffs to the one that sits a few games out of .500 is Tari being hurt, as he provided defense, offense, and intensity. The sooner he gets back, the easier the games will get; and playoff should still be the goal.

Ancient Moabite likes this.
  9. kingkingston

kingkingston Member

in his last game he played, he shot 50 per cent

10. T for 3

T for 3 Member

11. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Yall see those Mr.McMahon text

12. deb4rockets

Supporting Member

I never said he didn't. I was just saying you point out one bad game Cam had in his only start, saying he did nothing, yet he's shot 50% or higher in 14 of the 20 games he's played as a rookie. Averages matter more than hen picked games.

13. kingkingston

kingkingston Member

ok he averages 5ppg as a starter.........happy

14. deb4rockets

Supporting Member

5 pts? What a crock. You are talking one game. Let's just say he needs to be fed the ball more, and then I'll be happier. Let him shoot shoot shoot shoot shoot shoot like Jalen does. Cam won't miss as many shots.

When, if ever, Jalen gets his shooting averages up to where Cam is shooting then we will all be happier. We definitely need a SG who can hit 3PT shots at a higher level than Jalen. He's regressed in that aspect.

He's 14 of 73 (19%) from behind the arc in his last 11 games That's a whole lot of bricks. You can't beat good teams with that kind of 3 PT shooting. Cam is 20 of 51 (39%) in his last 11 games.

2023/2024 Stats
    Jalen Green 40.1 FG% 31.9 3PT%
    Cam Whitmore 48.3 FG% 38.8 3PT%

#1114 deb4rockets, Jan 26, 2024
    Last edited: Jan 26, 2024
  15. kingkingston

kingkingston Member

All Whitmore does is shoot shoot shoot. He doesn't pass much. Whitmore averages the most shots PER 48 on the team. If Whitmore plays 30 minutes a game, his shooting stats wouldn't be as high. He is taking his chances at the moment, but that doesn't mean it would be the same if he had more minutes.

16. deb4rockets

Supporting Member

You are just making crap up now. You have no idea that his shooting % wouldn't be as high if he played more minutes. You also are a bit funny saying he takes more shots than anyone on the team. You honestly don't know how many shots he would take if he actually played a full game. The most minutes he's even played was 33 minutes and he only took 12 shots, but was 50% FG and 40% from behind the arc. My guess is that the more he plays the better he will get on offense AND defense.

Most rookies get better with more experience, especially after a couple years. The kid's only played 20 games. Give him more credit with his shooting. It takes a real biased person to not get excited about a kid who has averaged 48.3 FG% and 38.8% 3PT% in his first 20 games, and 41.3% from behind the arc in his past 11 games. Yeah, I say let him shoot shoot shoot the 3's and have Jalen stick to the 2PT shots most of the time.

#1116 deb4rockets, Jan 26, 2024
    Last edited: Jan 26, 2024
  17. kingkingston

kingkingston Member

truth hurts hey

18. deb4rockets

Supporting Member

Not sure what you mean, but don't really care. All I do know is I think Cam's going to be really good if he's already shooting this well after 21 games.