1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[ClutchFans] Frustrated Motiejunas just wants to play

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Jan 8, 2014.

1. jim1961

jim1961 Member

4 games doesn't change a players trade value.

2. Normalus

Normalus Member

Actually does if it's the only games where he got consistant minutes, not garbage time.

3. omgTHEpotential

I agree, his trading value is definitely up. You don't give him up for a mere 2nd rounder now, if you're Morey.

4. Braunatron

Braunatron Member

This might also sound like heresy, but I think DMo should keep starting over Jones. For the same reasons Bev should start over Lin. DMo compliments the starting lineup very well on the offensive side of the ball. Snagging some offensive rebounds and a more consistent 3 ball is all we need from him.

However, he is admittedly not close to Jones on defense, but defense can be taught and can be masked somewhat with effort. Effort is one thing Jones has over almost everybody on our team. He would make a great energy guy off the bench (cliche, I know) with Lin and eventually Asik.

While I enjoy Jones' enthusiasm, I think he gets a little carried away some times and plays for himself instead of the team. If you've ever played, you know how annoying it is when a guy steals rebounds and tries crazy drives and off balance runners instead of just passing the ball. I would rather he does that stuff when there isn't $34 million dollars on the court at the same time.

5. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

You'd be surprised. How do you think Brandon Jennings would have been thought of if he never had that 55 point game as a rookie? Would he even be a starter on a half way decent 2nd contract?

Look, D-Mo didn't score 55 points in a game or anything, but every game he has like the other night gives other teams GM's evidence that he can do something that they didn't have evidence that he could do beforehand. And lets not forget that D-Mo is still a skilled 7 footer who has 3 point range. It doesn't take much for that alone to make GM's start to lick their chops.

You'd probably be shocked at how much his trade stock has gone up over this past week. Even if its only equated to a couple GM's calling Morey back from the week before, its made a difference.

6. Aleron

Aleron Contributing Member

It's not heresy, but it's ridiculous. Not only has he not performed better than TJones, we don't need teams getting in the penalty by the 4 minute mark of every first quarter.

7. RoxBeliever

RoxBeliever Member

I'm sure he's not frustrated anymore.

However, what will the coaches do when Greg Smith comes back? One of them needs to go or be willing to be on the bench.

DMo's size and heft is still valuable for us to sub for Dwight. He's been challenging shots, defending the PnR better, and rebounding better. Coaches and Morey see that.

I think we keep him this year.

8. RoxBeliever

RoxBeliever Member

And I'd say his benching was what enabled him to become the player he is now--more focused on defense and more patient on offense.

9. studogg

studogg Contributing Member

Greg "injured" Smith? I wouldn't be too concerned there. He'll surely twist,bruise,strain something on his way to a practice.

10. omgTHEpotential

I feel like a lot of DMo's fouls are just him being aggressive on the defensive end. And do be honest, I prefer him racking up some quick fouls instead of half-assing on the defensive end. I really enjoy his defense these last 5 games.

11. Billionzz

Billionzz Contributing Member

I agree his D has been good. I don't think he should start over Jones but I do think the team D has been better when Dmo is in the game. I really hope he gets consistent playing time the rest of the season so we can see him improve.

12. OremLK

OremLK Member

DMo should get more playing time in place of some of Garcia/Casspi's minutes off the bench when Jones returns.

13. markusbrutus

markusbrutus Member

He was just being over eager to make defensive plays.

But hey at least, he is learning to play the NBA. And I am glad he is now getting consistent minutes.

If Jones comes back, I would like Dmo to actually sub in for Jones.

Casspi should back Parssons up.

14. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

I am happy D-Mo is being productive, he will get better with time.

15. RoxBeliever

RoxBeliever Member

TJones still the starter but DMo can do back-up 5 and 4 as needed.

He's actually imitating how TJones plays. Still needs to cut down on fouls but you can see a light has turned on in his head.

16. JBar

JBar Rookie

D-Mo has definitely improved his defense and rebounding. It used to be almost comical how little shot blocking presence he provided, considering his size and agility level. He seems to have gained a much better sense of where he should be on the court defensively. Happy for him. (Now if only Asik would come back to play, we would have a really deep roster.)

17. Old Man Rock

Old Man Rock Contributing Member

The light was always on only you couldn't see it inside the doghouse. Everything that DMo is would have been exposed long ago with any other coach not named McHale. DMo needs minutes to improve but he contributes now and helps the team the way he plays now. The same problem with TJones last year. McHale only develops players out of desperation.

18. nobie

nobie Member

So how was Donuts today? Didnt watch the game, but i see he fouled out again.

19. StandontheLake

Much like turnovers with young guards, fouls for young bigs are often a good sign. It means they're trying to make defensive plays.

20. xtruroyaltyx

xtruroyaltyx Member

This.