1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[ClutchFans] Frustrated Motiejunas just wants to play

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Jan 8, 2014.

1. Shroopy2

Shroopy2 Contributing Member

This again...

So T-Jones comes back, everyone all of a sudden collapses from the season highs in points. And its he's partly to blame for James Harden and Patrick Beverley going for a combined 3-22 from the field. And in the same game Chandler Parsons makes TEN 3's. (T-Jones even hit a 3 himself)

Parsons didnt need anyone "opening" things up for him, but ALL-STAR James Harden and Patrick Beverley does? And its on T-Jones not making a positive contribution, but the 3-22 guys gets a pass.

Your boy Ilyasova RAPIDLY improved after not doing squat diddle his first 4 years, a couple years not even playing in the NBA. He shined after he got a CHANCE in the starting lineup.

Ilyasova's improvement counted even though he's REGRESSED (badly) looking like a flash in the pan and you want that, yet T-Jones has to have an asterisk on his improvement?

2. galpeleg

galpeleg Member

as far as i concern Dmo now dont deserve to c 1 minute of PT.

i can understand a LOT of thing about pro players.
    i understand sometime u in a slum , or shot dont get in , or being outplay by the other team... thing not allway go your way.
    BUT i CANT understand or accept not being in shape.
    if you are paid millions to play 48 min per night , u should either be in physical shape to do it , or change profession.
    i really dont care how gifted or skilled u are -> being gas out after 10/15 min is pathetic.

3. Billionzz

Billionzz Contributing Member

I think you just don't understand the situation. You can run and do whatever when you're not playing to stay in shape, but it's not the same as playing BB. The only way to get into BB shape is to play BB. The commentators even mentioned that last game that nobody works harder than Dmo in his workouts and practice. I also have heard them talking before about how hard of treadmill workout the trainer put him through, when he wasn't playing to keep him in shape.

You also have to understand that some people are built to run. Brooks and Bev are good examples, it wouldn't take them long to get back into game shape. Dmo is a big body 7 footer, it's going to tale a guy like that longer to grt back into BB shape.

4. galpeleg

galpeleg Member

dont want to be rude but the BB shape excuse is pure BS !

BB shape affect your shooting /passing /game reading... it affect your BB skills.
    and notice i dont bash Dmo about missing a shot or making a bad play.

but BB shape dont effect your over all stamina and condition.
    yes Dmo is a big guy , so i dont expect him to run fast or be agile or play airborne.
    i dont even expect him to be athletic , but i DO EXPECT him to be able to play 48 min without passing out !
    Parsons played a strip of 44+ min a game with a bad back, and Dmo cant play 15 without needing a breather ???
    sorry my friend but that PATHETIC.

5. Normalus

Normalus Member

there is some difference to be pushed around by Gasol&Randolph or Miller&Prince. And SF's most of the time plays without contact, just look how PF's and C's play. Every position they are fighting for rebounds and place in the paint.

6. galpeleg

galpeleg Member

heavy weight boxers can got more then 3 rounds and not get gassed if u want to go by the "heavy contact" excuse.

dont get me wrong i have nothing against Dmo, but ANY pro player who cant keep himself in good enough condition/stamina to play ,dont deserve PT !
    the only excuse i accept is injury or old age, but Dmo is young and healthy i c no excuse for his lack of condition .

7. Normalus

Normalus Member

You gotta be kidding me comparing box with basketball.

3.5 miles per 48 minutes with average speed of 4.4 mph is top100 in the league and only Beverley with Casspi is there of our team. Also add a lot contact in the game with bigger guys, add multiple screens he sets in every position, every hustle run to defense&offense. You should be hater or never tryd any sport proffesionaly.

8. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Good gawd are people really placing reverse judgement on DMo because of last night? The Memphis grizzlies folks..... That's all that needs to be said. Everyone looks small and weak in the paint compared to these guys.

All things considered DMo was a positive IMO and has actually started looking more and more acclimated to the defense and has times where offensively he's had some slippage.

The Rockets need help at the backup 5 right now that's a given but it's no indication of DMo's future that's for sure. The guy is going to continue to improve and will be a very valuable addition to any team for years to come.

9. basketballholic

My post was written before the Memphis game. However, Memphis is a grinder team, one of the teams I named off at the beginning of the season that dominated us last year with their 2 bigs in there, just one of the teams that I felt like justifies us playing Dwight and Omer in the twin towers configuration. They play big, they slow it down, they grind out the halfcourt defense and they make it very difficult to run on them. Like I said, they dominated us last year. And TJones nor DMo nor GSmith is capable of handling Zach or Marc. We really need 2 legit bigs when we play teams like Memphis, 2 bigs like Dwight and Omer in tandem.

You have a legit point about Ilyasova's improvement after 4 years. I recognize that. But Ilyasova is the extreme exception...the extreme exception. For every Ilyasova you can come up with I can come up with a hundred or more other ballers that failed to break out after not having broken out their first 3 years.

On another note, Ilyasova is not "my boy". If you want to know who "my boy" is, the guy I really want is Love. And I'd settle for Aldridge or Millsap. And I would take Melo if we could get him for Asik and Lin and other parts. But Love is my boy.

But you are right Ilyasova has been wildly inconsistent since his breakout year. He started off cold as ice last year and finished up hotter than a firecracker, with his shooting percentages roaring back from the low 20's and 30's to very, very good season averages. This year he has been dinged for a good portion of the season and he obviously doesn't have a set role under Drew. Not to mention the team absolutely sucks. Not making excuses for his performance but you have to be realistic. Shooters with Ilyasova's pedigree don't all of a sudden lose their stroke in their mid 20's. Not unless they've got a severe permanent disabling injury to their arms or legs. That may be the case, I don't know. I haven't kept up with the details of his health issues. I just know he's been down with a bad wheel for much of this season.

So, hopefully you understand he's not "my boy" but I still believe a healthy Ilyasova would be a tremendous upgrade at the 4 for this team because of his sensational shooting ability combined with his rebounding prowess and his underrated defensive play. I think a healthy Ilyasova would absolutely light it up in our system.

You see....stats and box scores only tell you a little bit of the story. You have to look behind the numbers, you have to look at the analytics, you have to look at player history, and then you have to look out on the court and watch the player to see what's going on with him right now. And you have to understand this...a shooter is a shooter is a shooter is a shooter. Once guys develop a pristine stroke....they've got that stroke until they get old and die.

Because the way shooters develop pure strokes is by thousands and thousands of repetitive shots in the off season using the proper mechanics that train that shot into muscle memory. If you have played the game, you should understand this. I haven't played a competitive basketball game in over a year now. Haven't shot one ball through the hoop in over a year. But I guarantee you I could walk inside a gym right now and nail 8 out of 10 from the FT line and I could hit three to 5 out of my first 10 shots from 23 feet. That is what a shooter does. Reggie Miller at age 65 will still be able to drop in 5-7 out of 10 3 point shots after he gets his old body warmed up. Shooting mechanics become ingrained in you if you do it to a certain level. That's why when I watch guys like Jones and DMo and MKG for example and they go a couple off seasons without totally revising their strokes, my confidence in their ability to really become good to great shooters fades. Because I know and understand shooting. I shot 500 to 1000 shots a day in my driveway and in the gym from age 15 until I got out of college. And on many occasions I shot much more than 1000 shots a day. I'm not trying to brag here. I'm just emphasizing what it takes to be a great shooter, that being proper mechanics and extremely high daily repetitions of those mechanics doing catch-and-shoots, upfake step back and shoots, catch, spin and shoots using each foot as a pivot, pull up dribble shots. So these guys that come into the league and they don't improve their shot mechanics over the first couple off seasons...the odds of them becoming great shooters after that ...... are very very small.

Ilyasova is a very, very good shooter and has been from the get go. It's not totally true that he didn't do squat his first 3 years. He shot around 36% his first year, then faded his second and third years playing a crap team, then broke out big his 4th year and followed it up last year. But you could see the mechanics were in place. I could tell very early watching him that he had tremendous potential as a shooter.

Now he's gone cold again. Why? There's a mental aspect to all this. And Ilyasova isn't there. (He's not Kevin Love.) But when he is healthy and comfortable on court his 3-point percentage will right back up to 40-45%. Because he's got the stroke. He's got the stroke that DMo and TJones just don't have. Trust me. As a shooter I know shooters. DMo likes to shoot but he just doesn't have the shot. His shot is too flat and it's too much arms with not enough lift from his legs and not enough arc. He's got the same stroke he had last year and the results are the same and will remain the same until he decides to alter his mechanics, get more dip and leg and more arc on the ball. TJones has the exact same mechanics as last year. And his results are the same. He's terrible everywhere but in the paint. Same mechanics as last. Same results as last year. The odds of either of those guys becoming even a decent 3-point shooter are very small right now. And every day that passes those odds get smaller and smaller. It won't happen this year during the season. Not enough time to break a guy down and rebuild him. And it also didn't happen the first two offseasons these guys had to do it. If it doesn't happen this coming off season....it's just not going to happen.

Comparing the shooting start of Ilyasova's career and his inconsistencies with the shooting start of DMo's and TJones' careers and their inconsistencies is night and day different. Ilyasova is a shooter. They are not.

10. galpeleg

galpeleg Member

i brought up boxing because of the heavy contact excuse
    and i dont blame Dmo for being weak or for bad D (or even claim that).

but if u get payed 1.4 million to be able to play 48 min -> BE able to play 48 min !
    my main request from any pro athlet is very simple: be in play shape !
    be able to play at a consistent effort the entire game time -> that your JOB pure and simple
    u cant keep in shape -> change job.
    like i expect a cab driver to know the city he work in much better then the casual driver , like i expect a doctor to know the human body better then a regular joe... i expect pro player to be in top shape !

11. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

Someone left me a condescending rep about me stating that coach is mediocre.

I don't need to provide any evidence. The proof is in the pudding. So many blown games against teams we should beat.

12. nobie

nobie Member

wow dude calm down or get out of this thread your boy Casspi didnt play any better.