1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[clutchfans essentials] Basic Rockets knowledge

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by tinman, Jun 20, 2008.

1. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

i know there is good in you tigermission,
    i sensed it on the moon of endor.

2. The Ming Dynasty

The Ming Dynasty Contributing Member

[/QUOTE=The Ming Dynasty]
    All right - since it's been almost 24 hours - here's the answers to my trivia quiz (no research - just the fun of remembering and having "been there"). Hope you did well!

SPOILER!

Who was the Rockets first draft pick ever?
    Pat Riley in SD
    Who was the Band-Aid Man?
    Derek Chevious
    Who was chosen after Olajuwon, but before Jordan?
    Sam Bowie
    Who was coach when the Rox went to the Finals in 1986?
    Bill Fitch
    Who was coach when the Rox went to the Finals in 1981?
    Del Harris
    Who is/was "Two Sandwiches"?
    Thomas Hamilton
    What Nugget gave Ralph fits with his elbows?
    Bill Hanslik
    Who said "They've been in the lane so long they have paint on thier shoes"?
    Gene Peterson
    Who was traded from Portland with Clyde for OT?
    Tracy Murray
    Who was traded for OT?
    Jim Peterson
    What former Rocket threw a towel in Ainge's face?
    Robert Horry
    Where did Moses Malone go to college?
    He Didn't
    Who were the Rockets referring to when "Cool Hand Luke" came up on the scoreboard?
    John Lucas
    What former Rocket said "Fo, fo, fo" and what did it mean?
    Moses Malone - when Philly was in the playoffs in 1983
    Who first bought Westside Tennis Club and turned it into the Rockets practice facility?
    Matress Mac
    How many regular season games did Cato play for the Rox before he was signed to a ridiculous contract?
    Zero
    Which Rockets did the league "ban for life" in 1987?
    Mitchell Wiggins and Lewis Lloyd
    Who was the owner of the Rockets before Les Alexander?
    Charlie Thomas
    Who did Olajuwon block in the last seconds of game 6 of the 1994 Finals?
    John Starks
    Who represented the Rockets at the lottery when we won the rights to draft Yao?
    Steve Francis
    Who missed 4 consecutive free-throws to assist the Rockets in their quest for their 2nd consecutive Championship in 2005?
    Nick Anderson
    Who STOLE Hakeem's MVP trophy in 1995?
    David Robinson
    Who shot the "Kiss of Death?"
    Mario Elie
    What seed were the Rockets in 1995?
    6th
    Who was Mr. Mean?
    Larrry Smith

How'd you do?

1-5 - Flopper! go join the Mavs forum :confused:
    6-10 - a potential "Jazz scorekeeper" :mad:
    11-15 - Granville Waiters caliber
    16-20 - Bank shot - but you didn't call "glass" ;)
    21-22 - Nothing but Net
    23-25 - All-Star - Dream would be Proud
    [/QUOTE]

3. tinman

Supporting Member

good work Ming Dynasty,

these are much harder questions than
    Who made it to the NBA Finals first, Akeem or Michael Jordan?

The Mattress Mac one was easy for people who actually live in Houston or ex-patriot houstonians.

where are all the Charles Barkley houston rockets era questions? :D

4. The Ming Dynasty

The Ming Dynasty Contributing Member

Yeah, I know most of them too, but they're NOT my favorite memories (other than Eddie Johnson's shot, & Barkley's tackle of Shaq) - I guess I'm STILL trying to block them out (Stockton's last second shot in H-Town, Pippen, signing Cato, Maloney) etc... Not too many good memories in the Barkey era :( but he did stop his car and sign a jersey for me after the last game he ever played in the NBA.

5. tinman

Supporting Member

we made to the WCF, the hopes were so high. Remember the positives!

6. Rockets34Legend

Rockets34Legend Contributing Member

7. tinman

Supporting Member

8. T.Mcgrady

T.Mcgrady Member

1) Don't try to put some spin on my comments and spew a bunch of irrelevant junk like it actually has some meaning.

2) You need to learn how to respect the other members of this board. A grown man shouldn't be pulling this crap on a daily basis. It wasn't necessary to make a point in this manner - grow up and move on.

9. robby_33

robby_33 Member

Geez, and when exactly were u gonna get on that grow up and move on bus??
    tinman gives us another great thread with history relating to our Rockets, and u are whinging like he threw sand in YOUR face. What exactly was done to you anyhow, I forget.... oh right, nothing. sheesh. :rolleyes:

10. Yaozer

Yaozer Member

Didn't really read the pages in between, just first and last, so I don't know if anyone's pointed this out.. but the guy's moniker is anonymous bulls fan.. Nuff said.

Any person who clearly states that he's a fan of another team and comes in here dissing our legendary player DESERVES to be publicly humiliated. We don't need 'yer kind here...

I'm behind tinman on this one.

11. tinman

Supporting Member

1.rookie
    2.all you newbs sound the same, its confusing. t.mcgrady. tm.acrgrady etc
    3. the irrelevant junk that was spewed was that HAKEEM DIDN'T COME CLOSE TO THE NBA FINALS BEFORE MJ RETIRED
    4. rookie

12. tinman

Supporting Member

its the new generation of so called Rocket fans who are 1000 times more sensitive for no apparent reason and can't stand criticism even if its NOT pointed at them.

its the LEAVE BRITNEY ALONE generation of clutchfans fans.

[​IMG]

T.McGrady
    LEAVE BULLS FAN ALONE!! She doesn't know that Akeem made to the finals! LEAVE BULLS FAN ALONE!! MJ was the best player so it was ok to assume that he made to the finals before Akeem! LEAVE BULLS FAN ALONE!

13. AntiSonic

AntiSonic Member

QFT!

Which Rockets Hero posted Charles Barkley's bail when he was arrested in Orlando?

What was Sedale Threatt's blood alcohol level when he crashed his Mercedes?

14. sook

sook Rookie

Off topic, but thats the first time i've seen you make a post without trashing mcgrady. Nice job! :cool:

Oh and i don't know the answers to the questions, sounds tufffff :(

15. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

[/QUOTE]

It was a very nice quiz.I got 14 right,nothing to be proud off. :D
    I knew the first name of the owner was Charlie so I left it alone. I knew one of the Rockets commentators made the comment about having paint on their shoes,but I wasn't sure if it was Gene Peterson. I completely forgot that Mattress Max purchased the Westside Tennis Club,I shouldn't have missed that one. It was a lot of fun,I know I have a long way to go.

16. adoo

adoo Member

add these:

when did the Maloof family own the Rox, and why did they sell Rox after a relatively short tenure ?

who was the Houston Rox first ever draft pick?

when did rick adelman play for the Rox ?

how did Rox manage to get fo-fo-fo?

what the the circusmstances surrounding the Rox trading the Big E away, and then acquiring him several years later ?​

17. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Something that some folks here may not know is that Fran Blinebury picked the Lakers to meet the Celtics in the 1986 Finals before the playoffs began. I remember being really ticked off about it, and haven't forgotten. Going against the Rockets! And today he still has the balls to write columns about those playoffs and, of course, never mentions that little fact.

Want proof? Here you go! (great preview of the playoffs... brings back memories!)

Paper: HOUSTON CHRONICLE
    Date: WED 04/16/1986
    Section: Sports
    Page: 1
    Edition: NO STAR

The surprises produce all the fun

By FRAN BLINEBURY
    Staff

THE NATIONAL Basketball Association has spent the last six months playing 943 games just to reach this point. Which is like eating your way through a half year of desserts, only to be confronted by the main course.

Indeed, here is the beef. The 16-team playoff tournament that will take two more months and eventually decide the 1986 champion.

And in the end, won't it simply come down to Boston and Los Angeles again? Celtic Tradition vs. Laker Flash III. A script that has been rewritten almost as many times as "Rocky."

It ain't no fun," said one team official back during the All-Star break, when you always know who's going to win."

That's not entirely true. Getting there can be half the fun, because there are usually a few surprises along the way.

Remember Utah over Houston last year?

So with that in mind, here is a look at the first-round matchups (the team with the home-court advantage is listed first):

WESTERN CONFERENCE

Los Angeles Lakers vs. San Antonio (Season series: Lakers 4-1) - Several months ago, this would have been an interesting series. But several months ago, the Spurs wouldn't have fallen into the last-seeded spot in the conference. Playing five games above the .500 mark around Christmas, they lost guard Johnny Moore for the season to a rare form of meningitis and have also suffered debilitating injuries to Steve Johnson and Artis Gilmore. Coach Cotton Fitzsimmons rested his troops down the stretch, but it won't be enough. The defending champion Lakers are a bit suspect, but only when you compare them to Boston. They started out the season like the best team that ever played the game, but they have been in cruise control since January. Kareem Abdul-Jabbar, Magic Johnson, James Worthy, et al, are simply too much here.

Prediction: LA 3-0.

Houston vs. Sacramento (Season series: Rockets 4-2) - The Rockets spent the entire regular season building up a gaudy 36-5 record at home. Now they must make it stand up in the first two games of the series at The Summit or things could turn ugly. Last season Utah surprised the Rockets in the opener and Houston never fully recovered. Allen Leavell likely will be out for at least the first two games, but Robert Reid and Rodney McCray have proven themselves capable of the ball-handling duties. The Kings have taken two wins over the Rockets in Sacramento because their smaller front line has pounded Houston on the boards. Look for Ralph Sampson and Akeem Olajuwon to have their hands full, especially in Sacramento. The key to the series could be the play of Rockets' reserve forward Jim Petersen against the Kings' Otis Thorpe. Petersen has been a non-factor over the last five games. Having learned from last year's mistake, the Rockets should be ready to protect the home-court edge and win the first two games. But they are vulnerable on the road and it is still hard to envision them sweeping anybody.

Prediction: Rockets 3-1.

Denver vs. Portland (Season series: Nuggets 3-2) - Looks interesting on the surface, because it pits the two teams that made the blockbuster Kiki Vandeweghe-for-Wayne Cooper, Calvin Natt and Lafayette Lever trade a year ago. But Portland is a team with a gaping hole in the middle since Sam Bowie went down with another leg injury. The Blazers lost 12 in a row in February and might have played their way out of the postseason tournament if the rest of the Pacific Division wasn't so weak. On the other hand, the Nuggets are simply horrible on the road. A series that goes the limit here could be just what the Rockets ordered, since they'll play the winner and could use a nice break in between series. It will go all the way with the home-court advantage providing the edge.

Prediction: Denver 3-2.

Dallas vs. Utah (Season series: Mavericks 5-1) - Funny thing about the Mavs. Each of their last three playoff series have turned out exactly the opposite of the regular-season result. Meanwhile, Utah has been to the playoffs for two successive seasons and advanced past the first round both times. The key in this matchup is at the big guard spot. In 1984-85, Utah's Darrell Griffith owned Dallas. This year, Rolando Blackman has chewed up the Jazz. This is a golden opportunity for Mavs' pouting forward Mark Aguirre to make up for an off-season. But look for Utah's veterans - i.e. Adrian Dantley and Mark Eaton - to step forward and pull off the first-round surprise again.

Prediction: Utah 3-2.

EASTERN CONFERENCE

Boston vs. Chicago (Season series: Celtics 5-1) - Michael Jordan is healthy, back in the lineup and will finally be permitted off his leash and go all out in the playoffs. That will give the Bulls the emotional spark they need to push Boston. Sure, now let's talk about Goldilocks and the Three Bears. The Celtics are simply too big, too smart and too hungry to let the Bulls be anything more than nuisances. Larry Bird, Kevin McHale, Robert Parish, Dennis Johnson and Danny Ainge is the best starting five in the game and Bill Walton off the bench makes them unstoppable.

Prediction: Boston 3-0.

Milwaukee vs. New Jersey (Season series: Bucks 4-2) - Milwaukee may be the beer capital of the U.S., but the Bucks are always left with just the foam each spring when somebody else is guzzling down championship toasts. They are the best runnerup team in the league and Don Nelson just might be the best coach year in and year out. Milwaukee's centers are Alton Lister, Randy Breuer and Paul Mokeski, who aren't impressive. But names like Sidney Moncrief, Paul Pressey and Terry Cummings are. The Nets have had a difficult season, losing Micheal Ray Richardson to a drug problem and now having Darryl Dawkins hobbled by a groin injury. The Bucks will end New Jersey's misery.

Prediction: Milwaukee 3-0.

Philadelphia vs. Washington (Season series: tied 3-3) - The Sixers might have to open the series without Moses Malone, who is suffering from an orbital fracture to the eye. Still, Philly went 6-1 down the stretch without him. But the only loss? Yes, to the Bullets. Philly will continue without guard Andrew Toney, who is not on the playoff roster. Washington has the formidable shot blocker in Manute Bol and some streak-shooting guards in Jeff Malone and Gus Williams. Even without Malone, the Sixers would seem to have enough horses in Charles Barkley, Julius Erving and Maurice Cheeks. But Philly has rarely done anything the easy way. The Sixers will survive, but barely.

Prediction: Philadelphia 3-2.

Atlanta vs. Detroit (Season series: Atlanta 4-2) - On the surface, it's the best series in the East. The surprising Hawks against the disappointing Pistons. Mike Fratello will win the coach-of-the-year award for turning this Atlanta club into a 50-win team. He's got scoring champ Dominique Wilkins, slam-dunk champ Spud Webb and some blue-collar workers in Doc Rivers, Kevin Willis and Randy Wittman. But what the Hawks don't have is experience and it will hurt. Isiah Thomas, Bill Laimbeer, Kelly Tripucka, Vinnie Johnson and the rest have been through the wars for Detroit. This is the Pistons' chance to atone for the regular season and they will.

Prediction: Detroit 3-1.

Looking down the line, it will be Boston vs. Milwaukee in the Eastern Conference Finals and LA vs. the Rockets in the Western Conference.

Starting on Memorial Day, the Celtics and Lakers will square off again and the green team will eventually hang its 15th championship banner from the rafters of Boston Garden.

Didn't we know that six months ago?

Sure, but getting there really is half the fun.

http://www.chron.com/CDA/archives/archive.mpl?id=1986_232033

18. hlmbasketball

hlmbasketball Member
    Supporting Member

1)Billy Paultz

2)81

3)Preacher, to help build his Chruch

4)Clyde, Larry, Michael, Rob, etc.

5)He use to always score shots at the end of game to win the Chicken Promos
    6) Moses and Bill Willoby

7)Game Film Assistant/ Scout

19. hlmbasketball

hlmbasketball Member
    Supporting Member

That's why his name is "Blind" bury. If you read his articles today, nothing has changed.

20. tinman

Supporting Member

At least its not Eddie Sefko calling the entire team "CHOKE CITY".