1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[clutchfans essentials] Basic Rockets knowledge

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by tinman, Jun 20, 2008.

1. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

you have to hand it to the NBA and Nike/Corporate America
    they have brainwashed people into thinking Jordan could walk on water.
    Its marketing genius at its best.

Larry Bird would have beaten Michael in HORSE (no dunks of course), but not in that McDonald's commercial.

2. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

Even though I came to the US during the Championship years,I was aware of these facts when I came to Houston.There is a lot that I don't know but these are basic facts that every Rockets fan should be aware off,unless they are brand new to NBA Basketball and the history of the franchise.Hakeem made it to the NBA Finals way before Jordan,and I believe that this Bulls fan that Tinman pointed out probably deliberately ignored Hakeem's feat along with the rest of the 86 team.

3. tinman

Supporting Member

Damn you Michael Ray Richardson! if you had just gone to rehab, you'd be up there with Jordan/Magic etc. but you had to go down and then the NBA had to decimate our team!

4. saleem

Tinman, or anyone else, Can you please correct the mistakes that I made in the Ming Dynasty's quiz and point them out to me please?

5. tinman

Supporting Member

you forgot that Tracy Murray was traded with Drexler in the OT Trade.

6. tinman

Supporting Member

Damn, those are not "EASY" Easy.

Here's one.

Why did the Summit crowd give Los Angeles Lakers star James Worthy a standing ovation?

Did Mark Price break Murphy's record? I forgot who did it.

7. saleem

Thanks for pointing that out.I recall it now,my memory failed me.

8. macalu

macalu Contributing Member

i remember when we tried to get Drexler through a trade in '93 for Robert Horry, but Horry used his no trade clause. i was pissed. but thank god things worked out, and we traded Tracy Murray instead.

9. declan32001

declan32001 Member

LOL. True enough. But if you're here and you post something about Dream that is in any way derogatory - well, reap the whirlwind. He's like family and royalty to most of us.

Nobody here, even tinman, expects newbs to dissect the Jones family tree, and who got in what uniform on any given night. :D

10. declan32001

declan32001 Member

If anyone has even a passing interest in basketball they should have had their eyes glued to Houston from '81-'86. UofH was the first D1 school to have 3 players leave early in consecutive years. Moses ate everyone in sight.

The frikkin' NBA owes Houston bigtime going back to '68. What do we get? Rules outlawing centers. Hand-check rules that would have had even Jordan laughing his *ss off, and Kobe as MVP.

I really have come to the conclusion that the NBA game isn't real basketball anymore. It's really sad.

11. sook

sook Rookie

I don't know about stuff back then that much, could you clarify?

12. adoo

adoo Member

hey, im a big boy, i can take it.

i forgot about that one :eek:

13. T.Mcgrady

T.Mcgrady Member

Grow up guys - I don't know how a thread whose sole purpose is to embarrass another poster is still up.

14. declan32001

declan32001 Member

Uh, UofH stuff: Williams, Drexler, Olajuwon. Uh, '68 Guy V & E served notice to the world that we could beat anybody and made NCAA hoops the cash cow it is.

Uh, Moses...jeez.

Uh, the NBA used to be where real men played. No zones, no quarter given. The "no hand-check on the perimeter" really makes sense in light of goons alternately giving big guys kidney punches without guarding scrubs.

East Coast, West Coast: glamour shots rule. Except for GQ dude who had a nice run and now it's all about money, and pride's a joke. Even he would wince if it didn't cost him about $80 mil. Merely my opinion.

That's all I can say.

15. tinman

Supporting Member

listen up newb.

its more embarrassing not knowing anything about the best player in your team's entire existence. Or even when they made the NBA Finals. Its not like we're the Celtics who made it 17 times. We made it 4 times. In case YOU didn't know or DON'T EVEN care, we made it 3 times with that Nigerian guy. And the dude with the expensive Nike shoes in the East, was playing. Fact, they both came out the SAME YEAR.

And the best player in Houston Rockets history is not Tracy McGrady when he was the scoring champion in Orlando.

#55 tinman, Jun 21, 2008
    Last edited: Jun 21, 2008
  16. tinman

Supporting Member

Here's a brief video for you. its educational, nothing personal adoo.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/uBrEsNS9zKg&hl=en"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/uBrEsNS9zKg&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

17. declan32001

declan32001 Member

Well, that was... completely over the top in terms of... anything.

And I still love it. :)

18. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

As long as posters understand the history, its cool. If they don't, they can always lean on those who know. I've been a rox fan since 79 or 80 and every year I try grow as a fan and a student of the game period.

19. tinman

Supporting Member

i wonder if you, clutch, heypartner, and DD went on Rockets Jeopardy, who would win?

i need to brush up on the early 80s Rockets.

20. tigermission1

tigermission1 Contributing Member

On this one, tinman, you have my vote of confidence. I can't believe someone actually made that post...that poster is beyond redemption.