1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[clutchfans essentials] Basic Rockets knowledge

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by tinman, Jun 20, 2008.

1. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

For the sensitive people here on clutchfans,
    I changed the person's name to ANONYMOUS BULLS FAN to protect him

2. alexdapooh

alexdapooh Contributing Member

I agree...

Rockets going to the finals in 86 happened when I was BORN... but like Tinman said, this information is BASIC knowledge for Rockets fans. Moving here from San Diego, Rudy's punch from Kermit Washington, Sampson's turnaround against the Lakers, Rockets playing the Celtics in NBA finals twice during the 80s... this is HISTORY. If ya don't know.. go wikipedia Houston Rockets

3. tinman

Supporting Member

but its ok for new people to come here and make false statements and assumptions?

hey what comes around goes around pal. belittle and forget the truth about the past. Come back here in 10 years and your nephews will call that 22 game winning streak a fluke.

no one here is trying to make people remember what Tmac did that one season with the ORLANDO Magic and how many points he scored during that first round loss.

This is basic knowledge for the ROCKETS.
    Rockets made the Finals in 86.

That assumption that Michael Jordan teams always did better in everything has reached a new point. "Correct me if I'm wrong, but Dream never [did anything good because MJ was so much better] " .. crap

#23 tinman, Jun 20, 2008
    Last edited: Jun 20, 2008
  4. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Right on.

Nothing pisses me off more regarding the Olajuwon era than people either forgetting or not realizing that Hakeem <b>in his freaking 2nd season</b> destroyed...embarrassed...humiliated (FOUR GAMES IN A ROW!) arguably the best team ever...the defending champion Magic/Kareem/Worthy Lakers.

I vividly remember in an interview after game 4 (or maybe 3), Pat Riley saying, "We didn't know he was this good. We have no answer for him. We are going to have to find one quick."

If that Rockets team doesn't get busted up by Sampson's injury and/or the NBA's crackdown on cocaine (and there is a conspiracy theory that the league targeted the Rockets to weaken them) Hakeem would indeed have several more titles. I mean, that 1986 Finals was supposed to be the clash of the titans--. The Celtics had upgraded by getting Walton, and the Lakers were trying the first repeat in over 15 years. Hakeem busted up the party.

5. sook

sook Rookie

Btw tinman excellent thread, "HE/SHE" will think twice before posting something so stupid again. If "HE/SHE" knew so much about Jordan's bulls and ready to criticize the dream about the championship years they should get their facts straight.

6. tinman

Supporting Member

Excellent post sook!
    Excellent!

de-rookify sook :)

correct me if i'm wrong, its really easy to just google the Rockets/NBA stuff. But the fact he doesn't bother to do it means he was CONFIDENT that it NEVER happened. He was so confident about the Bulls, but not the Rockets.

#26 tinman, Jun 20, 2008
  7. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

I really enjoy new fans to the rox, but it irritates me more when people think the franchise starts and ends with one player. No name needed.

8. thacabbage

thacabbage Contributing Member

I love the serious responses in these threads.

9. tinman

Supporting Member

He also bolded and underlined "never got close"

I'm assuming never got close means - going to the Western Conference Finals? No that would be too close. 2nd round? maybe. 1st round?

#29 tinman, Jun 20, 2008
  10. leebigez

Not only was that stupid comment by that bulls fan, but being a bulls fan he should know jordan had a losing record against the rox and the spurs in his career.

11. aussie rocket

aussie rocket Member

I share tinmans low tolerance policy.

some people might think its "elitist" or whatever, but being a true Rockets fan is about being passionate enough to research the history of this great organisation (that being if you only jumped on board within the past 10 years or so)

12. wekko368

wekko368 Member

At the very least, he should realize that the presence of any eastern player has absolutely nothing to do with whichever western team makes the finals (and vice versa).

13. TXRoxBBall

TXRoxBBall Member

As a long time Rockets fan, but someone who is new to the board, I'm good with a test. It's funny how history is "mis-remembered" somtimes.

14. david_rocket

david_rocket Member

Im a fan of the rockets since 93, and I dont know all the numbers (statistics) about them, but I know a lot of facts about the team I loved!!

And besides that NBA Finals, we got very close again when they played in western conference finals against Jazz in 97, if the WCF isnt too close to the NBA Finals I dont know what it is, and it was in a game 6, and we lost because a lucky shot after a bearhug by Malone.

15. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

So where is the test?

16. The Ming Dynasty

The Ming Dynasty Contributing Member

All right - here's my test... ;)

Who was the Rockets first draft pick ever?

Who was the Band-Aid Man?

Who was chosen after Olajuwon, but before Jordan?

Who was coach when the Rox went to the Finals in 1986?

Who was coach when the Rox went to the Finals in 1981?

Who is/was "Two Sandwiches"?

What Nugget gave Ralph fits with his elbows?

Who said "They've been in the lane so long they have paint on thier shoes"?

Who was traded from Portland with Clyde for OT?

Who was traded for OT?

What former Rocket threw a towel in Ainge's face?

Where did Moses Malone go to college?

Who were the Rockets referring to when "Cool Hand Luke" came up on the scoreboard?

What former Rocket said "Fo, fo, fo" and what did it mean?

Who first bought Westside Tennis Club and turned it into the Rockets practice facility?

How many regular season games did Cato play for the Rox before he was signed to a ridiculous contract?

Which Rockets did the league "ban for life" in 1987?

Who was the owner of the Rockets before Les Alexander?

Who did Olajuwon block in the last seconds of game 6 of the 1994 Finals?

Who represented the Rockets at the lottery when we won the rights to draft Yao?

Who missed 4 consecutive free-throws to assist the Rockets in their quest for their 2nd consecutive Championship in 2005?

Who STOLE Hakeem's MVP trophy in 1995?

Who shot the "Kiss of Death?"

What sede were the Rockets in 1995?

Who was Mr. Mean?

17. leebigez

That's actually pretty good.

18. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

Larry Smith is Mr.Mean.

Honestly,I didn't look up any answers. I wasn't here in the US before the Championship years,so I tried my best.

19. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

What was the Whopper's real name?

What was the consecutive free throw record Calvin Murphy once held?

Why did Robert Reid retired and then came back to play?

Who were Olajuwon's Phi Slama Jama teammates?

Why was Mike Dunleavy called the Chicken Man?

Who were the first two Rockets who never played college ball?

What was Rudy T's job before he became Rockets head coach?

20. tinman

Supporting Member

this is trickery!