1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Clutchfans] Dwight: Defensive woes "starts on the perimeter"

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by justtxyank, Dec 31, 2013.

1. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

The thing about the Redick matchup is what I said about it. You never put your star on that kind of player for the duration of the game. It was NO surprise that Redick did what he did...you'd never see Durant/Lebron...whoever checking the guy who runs through screen after screen all around the court. Those players are rare, there is always like 2-4 of them in the league at one point in time (Martin, Redick, Allen, Korver...maybe someone I'm forgetting...) Harden actually did try that game from what I could see. He was running into screen after screen...

I'm not even debating effort though, I'm debating results. To continue to ignore the results. The other guys are not getting it done either and if they are trying as hard as possible then they either are not that great at defense or don't have a clue how to play it. I'm guessing the Latter.

I really don't care, because no one says this for Harden. "Oh that guy he's playing against is really good."

When Ellis went off people were bashing Harden for his defense relentlessly...as if Ellis were some bum or something.

2. KlutchQT

KlutchQT Contributing Member

Very different level of respect for IT's game tonight than there was the last time we played Sac.

3. adobo

adobo Member

But Harden has showed he can play D from time to time so it's not the lack of skills. So the question is it effort, lack of energy or injury reasons? If it's the lack of effort, then the coaching staff needs reign him in to ensure he gives his 100%.

If it's energy or niggling injury, then the coaching staff needs to tone down his minutes.

4. mvpcrossxover

mvpcrossxover Member

Lin effin improved!

What the **** are harden and parsons doing? ****ing regressing :mad:

Call em' out Dwight.

You ain't going anywhere with no defense.

5. ctry2582

ctry2582 Member

People are gonna score. This is the nba. It all starts with effort at the end of the day. James has never tried to play D more than a half.

6. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

Harden is the main culprit here, the guy is just not working hard...

DD

7. apcgamb24

apcgamb24 Member

Subtle shot at Lin?lol

8. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

100 percent agree on this.

I think the team defense as a whole is pretty bad. Our front court defense is better though, it's solid and sometimes really good.

I do like Dwight calling them out though because just being political about it does nothing.

That is the thing, I've already said Harden can look terrible on defense. People think this is about Harden vs Lin...it's about the perimeter defense.

If you think Harden is the reason then you missed the games he was sitting out and the time he's on the bench...it still is a problem.

9. pnr

pnr Member

I'll take 35% shooting from Thomas. People acting like him getting 17 and 10 is an anomaly for Thomas. Just look at his game log.

10. KlutchQT

KlutchQT Contributing Member

Not even close. I just think it's interesting (albeit predictable) that the overwhelming response after the first game was that Beverley was a defensive fail b/c he let a scrub like IT go off -- but today, IT is a quick, high-scoring talented guard. I actually agree with the latter assessment -- but reading the post game commentary from tonight and the first game, you'd think people were discussing two different players. Tis all. ;)

1 person likes this.
  11. ccrystal99

ccrystal99 Member

Isiah didn't look like Chris Paul. He was 6/17 today.

12. tada

tada Member

Harden's D is a problem for sure. No doubt about it. But what's more important is to limit turnovers and stop playing selfish game. I hate when balls are not moving like today... Selfish plays by Harden is forcing others to look for their own shots and forcing them... You start seeing TJones, Cassipi, Garcia, and even Parsons start forcing bad shots because they think they won't get enough shots. In order to fix this, I would like to start seeing more than 50% of our offensive plays start down low with Dwight. At least, Dwight is willing and capable passer. It should be no brainer for coaches to implement inside first then outside game plan.

13. Exel

Exel Member

And not like he was blowing by Lin off the dribble either. Any guard in the league can get pass anyone if they repeatedly run their defender into picks. It seems more apparent that the Rockets trust Dwight to guard the rim, rightfully so in most occasions, in their PNR defensive schemes. Look how close to the basket Howard is when defending the high PNR.

Howard is quick enough to show hard and recover, but for some reason the coaches don't want Howard doing that.

14. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

I really want a coaching staff that screams defense, fundamentals and that runs plays.

Im sick of this bull**** free roam inconsistent hope were hot tonight offense and piss poor defense. I want our team to be more like spurs, solid, consistent, great defense and offense.

15. Doppleganger

Doppleganger Rookie

No coaching, no plays, no accountability. Any success so far has been entirely player driven. Let's put it this way, if Popovich was coaching this team, would we be playing differently and significantly winning more? If the answer's yes then it says something about McHale.

16. Phillyrocket

Phillyrocket Member

Defense yes but this team also gives up way too many second chance shots. I wonder how much is related to this run and gun scheme where the players are streaking down the court exhausting themselves instead of putting energy into the defense. With Asik and Bev out there's no depth and guys look tired. This offense was cute last year when we were an upstart young team but as a contender it's time for half court sets and focus on defense.

17. count_dough-ku

count_dough-ku Contributing Member

You're being too kind. Sub in any number of available head coaches(Karl, Hollins, either Van Gundy, Sloan). And then ask yourself if the Rockets would be sitting at 21-13 and struggling to stay ahead of an aging Mavs team or an overachieving Suns squad. Obviously Pop would make the Rockets 1000 times better than what they currently are. But so would a lot of head coaches and it's frustrating as hell that we're settling for someone as bad as McFail when so many of those guys are out there and would likely jump at the opportunity to coach a roster like ours.

18. tkrieger

tkrieger Member

I've said it before, I'll say it again..... Dwight Howard might be a better individual defender than Omer Asik, but the TEAM defense was vastly better when Asik is on the floor.......... Just watch that game in Memphis earlier this season.........

Isaiah was a maestro with the pick-and-roll in this game.... This is what made Asik special.... Nobody in the league defends the pick and roll better than Omer Asik.

This leads to the question.... Will Omer Asik ever play another minute in a Rockets uniform? I hope he does, but I'm getting this sinking feeling :(.............

19. hotballa

hotballa Contributing Member

Shots fired. Thank you Dwight. Defense is all about effort. You know what produces effort? The fear of losing your job. You know who has that power? Hint hint, his name is Kevin McHale. Do your job Kevin.

20. b2bizchina

b2bizchina Member

McHale should coach Viper first.
    Can he win a champion in NBDL? I don't think so