1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[ClutchFans] Asik speaks out on alleged trade demand, playing with Dwight

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by The Cat, Sep 27, 2013.

1. Play07

Play07 Member

we will see after camp and preseason, go rockets

2. Ultimate6thMan

I'm with you on that brotha!!!

3. Velcromium

Velcromium Member

Ran into Asik day before, and by ran into him I mean like, here comes this giant down a long empty hall. I told him how excited we are having two centers that are going to dominate the NBA. His response was in a chuckle like agreement, and by judging his reponse and facial movements, I would say that it seemed like a WE WILL SEE HOW THIS SEASON WORKS OUT BEFORE I JUMP SHIP. So my prediction will be that he will try it out this year, and if it works he stays if not he goes.

4. RoxBeliever

RoxBeliever Member

Right, let's see who's willing to pay him P15M next year.

5. Dave_78

Dave_78 Member

He isnt that young and has two more years under contract. He is not playing for his next contract this season. He has also proven what he can do as a starter so this isnt like last summer where people questioned his stamina and ability to stay out of foul trouble when logging big minutes.

The money will be there now that he is a proven big minute player. I expect a guy to set his ego aside when he has opportunity to play with the best center in the league and compete for a championship. That's why I'm disappointed.

6. RoxBeliever

RoxBeliever Member

everyone has to sacrifice in our chase for a ring. for asik, that means he sacrifices playing time. if he'll continue to play well, he'll get his minutes.

7. chenjy9

chenjy9 Numbers Don't Lie
    Supporting Member

While I agree with you that winning is paramount and should be for professionals, you should not hate on him for jumping ship to get more money, PT, and showcasing. This league is a business and players are smart to maximize their earnings while they can. He has earned his minutes and if does decide to pursue money or playing time on another team, he has earned that right as well. It has nothing to do with ego, but what he believes is the best for HIS future and not the Rockets. That's just how I feel personally. If he leaves I would be disappointed that he's gone but not at his decision. I will also root for him because he gave his all while in Rockets red.

1 person likes this.
  8. thumbs

thumbs Contributing Member

Asik is a lot younger than Olajuwon was in his championship years. IMO, the Rockets will be a lot stronger WITH Asik than without. I, for one, am betting that Howard can and will play PF as a super Otis Thorpe while Asik plays a lesser Hakeem. I think other teams' front courts will break up on them like the ocean on a rocky shore. I can hardly wait.

9. Htownballer38

Htownballer38 Member

Man Asik was terrible from the line. Please dont try to use 1 game out of 82 to try and prove a point. Lol

10. mfastx

mfastx Member
    Supporting Member

It's fairly obvious he wants out. He could have easily squashed the rumor and said "I do not want to be traded, I want to be here" but he didn't.

Although he did handle it professionally and I have no problems with him quietly asking for a trade.

11. Ultimate6thMan

How many times was Hack-a-Asik used last year to make us lose a game?

Does that make a point to you? :rolleyes:

12. HOUSTONJS

HOUSTONJS Member

Asik wasn't a bad FT shooter in the Toyota Center but oh man, on the road was something else. He really stepped up big in OKC.

13. rockets_big

rockets_big Member

Very well argued. At 27 with 2 yrs remaining on this deal, he needs to play well for his last remaining large contract.

The rockets have done a good job spinning this controversy by positing a 'twin towers' scenario, which while a bit farfetched, is a nice bone to throw to a player they know will feel slighted.

I have doubts that asik gives his very best if positioned as a reserve, but he can still be a great role player for the rockets while he's still here.

14. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Past? Both Pat and Scola were here not long ago. Ok, I grant your wish and look into the future and that does not include Asik. You can't pay a backup 8 million or more. Period.

Fact is, you can plan all you want with your combo. The financial and common sense dictates that we are looking forward to another situation.
    With the Howard signing we are looking to upgrade the PF, PG first and possibly a better SG/SF backup and a cheaper version of Asik as C backup.

Someone is going to pay Asik 10 million or more and we won't go there and I give you the advice to get used to the idea.
    I do not understand why I should get preoccupied with the twin towers when one of them(Asik) is gone in a year or sooner.

15. bro2044

bro2044 Member

I understand why this is a hot topic, but I don't quite understand why its a "story" really...

I don't ever remember a credible source for his "demand," and anything he's said has been very professional and mature in its reaction. The smiles and "no comments" etc all seem, well, normal. He's not an ego-maniac, he doesn't seem to be setting up any ultimatums or thinking he deserves a starting role or else.

He seems pretty mellow and mature. Thank god. Maybe he'll work hard like normal and stay a valuable member of this team. Hell, if Howard gets injured we may SERIOUSLY need him anyways lol.

knock-on-wood joking aside, I don't get it all. If he did "ask" for a trade afterwards, well... good for him, he realizes that he has something to offer and wants to do it in a place where he gets to play. If not, well, then he's got a GREAT place here where he could actually win. If he's traded, we'll get something good in return that will benefit the team in another way.

I'd seriously hate to see him go, but this seems like a lot of story for a story with no actual story.

16. Htownballer38

Htownballer38 Member

Asik shot 56% from the FT line bruh..That is horrendous. LOL I don't care about how many times teams applied the Hack-A- Asik on him...Everybody know that dude is a terrible FT shooter..

So no that doesn't make a point to me.

Career 53% bwhahahahha

17. TISNF

TISNF Member

Probably similar situation with Kevin Martin.

18. Knickskiller

Knickskiller Member

obviously you didn't watch live games last season .

19. rockets_big

rockets_big Member

What the hell is your point?

20. coffeelover665

I want him here despite how he feels about it. i feel he is very important, especially on weeks where howard might get injured. I'd go full Nazi and keep his ass. He can be our very own Jesse Pinkman.