1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[ClutchFans] Asik speaks out on alleged trade demand, playing with Dwight

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by The Cat, Sep 27, 2013.

1. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

All I heard in that interview was... If he dies, he dies.

2. PuzzledFan

PuzzledFan Member

Surely it takes more than two seasons to become a perennial anything.

3. rockets_big

rockets_big Member

That was his likely role for the foreseeable future with the bulls prior to signing with the rockets. A player averaging 3 points and 4 rebounds a game for his first 2 seasons, backing up another player averaging 9 points and 9 rebounds a game, is unlikely to be projected as anything other than a role player.

Asik is a terrific backup C for a contending team. That was his role in chicago, and that will be his role in houston, as long as howard is around.

Asik had no guarantee, right or privilege to start. Whoever gave him this idea or impression has seriously misled him.

4. Shroopy2

Shroopy2 Contributing Member

The guy led the entire league in total rebounds last year. Why shouldnt he be demanding of more prominent position. If Dwight doesnt come here, he's then a credible starter. Thats not Asik's fault.

Asik hasnt quite indicated "or else" about it like he'll sabotage if he doesnt get his way.

(Though I find it likely he'll get dealt regardless)

This is Morey, even if you state you want to finish your career in houston, he'll still deal you for an upgrade when it presents itself

#84 Shroopy2, Sep 28, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 28, 2013
  5. Oracle

Oracle Member

He certainly is a terrific backup C. He has been lucky to land in a contender team (Chicago was good too). If he gets traded to a less talented team, he may find out that it's not that easy to play well in less good team.

I agree that he has trade written all over him, but I'm not sure at all that he is making the right decision.

6. rockets_big

rockets_big Member

Because dwight howard is a better rebounder, superior shot blocker and far more effective scorer.

I'm not blaming Asik or Morey for this situation; I'm simply stating that Asik cannot possibly feel entitled to a starting role, regardless of how well he played.

Mchale is one of the 30 greatest players to ever play in the nba, and he didn't complain about coming off the bench.

I find it hard to believe that anyone sympathizes with asik in this situation. Not a single team in the nba would turn down the opportunity to sign the best C in the league.

If Asik is "offended" by the fact that the rockets want the best center in the game to start for them, he needs to have his head checked.

7. Raven

Raven Member

Asik is on a short contract and is already thinking about his next payday, and that probably has more to do with his desire to remain a starter than wounded pride. It's the box score mentality.

8. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

9. Ultimate6thMan

Starting five for the Rockets:

C - Asik
    PF - Howard
    SF - Parsons
    SG - Harden
    PG - Lin

About the 7 minute mark, Asik comes out, DH12 moves to center, and one of our other PFs comes in (TJones, DMo, GSmith, etc.) DH12 plays the entire 1st Quarter.

Beginning of 2nd Quarter, DH12 sits, Asik back in as center with one of our other PFs in the game (same as entered or another). At the 6 minute mark, DH12 replaces Asik in the lineup as center again playing alone side one of our other PFs. In the final 2 minutes of the Quarter, Asik returns replacing the other PF so that the twin towers can defensively completely shut down the other team before the end of the half.

DH12 gets 18 minutes this half
    Asik gets 15 minutes this half
    Our other PFs get 15 minutes this half (to only one of them or among multiple players)

This rotation can work the second half as well as it establishes us early defensively, allows us to run more or go to small ball still a considerable amount of time, and we close both halves with our twin tower defensive lineup to shut down the interior, grab almost all rebounds and force the other team into a jump shooting team. With a more concerted effort promised from Parsons, Harden and JLin already, it will be extremely difficult for teams to score on us in the final two minutes with this line up.

DH12 ends up averaging about 36 minutes through out the season, which is perfect.
    Asik averages about 30 minutes a game, which is about what he did last year so that he can still keep his stats up for a better contract later.
    Our other PFs still get enough minutes to show what they can do and continue to develop as necessary.

Most importantly, if this lineup and rotation pattern is successfully working, it probably means that we are playing for a title with homecourt advantage come playoff time!

If at the trade deadline, LMA, KLove or Horford are offered in a trade for Asik, Morey would have to give a lot less along with Asik to make that trade....assuming he would even want to do it at this point as we could very well be looking at a championship quality team already by that time.

10. jocar

jocar Member

I think Raven hit the nail. Those smirks Omer gave (when asked about trades) looked more optimistic than 'guilty! And now I'm stuck here'. If he's unhappy, doesn't get enough minutes, and/or they can't figure out how to make twin towers click, he knows he'll be moved. Either way he won't be left "high and dry" :rolleyes: with only $25M in the bank. He'll either be on a winning team or get to start somewhere else.

11. TMac'n

TMac'n Contributing Member

[​IMG]

12. conquistador#11

the greatest center in the history of the nba hinted at a trade twice as a rocket. It's just business nothing personal. People get all sensitive when it's the player taking the initiative.

Asik is a wonderful talent without him there would be no playoffs last season. Now he will be a part of a contender. winning will cure everything until he is a free agent again.

13. Play07

Play07 Member

problem with this twin towers thing is

- when Howard was asked what player has impressed him so far he replied he's really impressed with t.jones "translation" the PF I on current roster I would like to play with is t.jones

- asik Howard neither has a mid range game

- both horrible free throw shooters, in a close game situation smart coaches will foul either vs letting them get to the rim, simple

14. Play07

Play07 Member

And we can talk about asik defense all day, but t.jones was the best shot blocker on the team last year

15. Ultimate6thMan

Translation ERROR! First, Howard hasn't played or seen Asik yet, so in now way does this mean he wants to start and play with TJones over Asik. If you want to go by anything, he first said when he was traded, or talked about coming to Houston, that he WANTED TO PLAY WITH ASIK.

Asik can shoot just fine from mid-range if given the opportunity, just look at the mid-range shots he took last year. Both are excellent Pick N Roll setters, with obviously Howard being the Superior Finisher. Them playing together is not really about OFFENSE anyway, it is about DEFENSE, because DEFENSE wins championships!

When the Hack-a-Asik was tried late last season, Asik made the other team pay. Maybe you weren't a Rockets fan yet so that you missed it. Everyone knows that DH12 has good free throw shooting form and ability, it's just mental with him during games. With him being much more happy this season than the last 3, I fully expect him to shoot over 70% FTs this year so that come playoff time, no team will be willing to give up points that easily.

You sir are DISMISSED!

16. Ultimate6thMan

I like TJones and actually expect him to be the first PF off the bench when one of the twin towers sits down. But if you think he compares to Asik defensively, then our discussion ends there. :rolleyes:

17. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

It's not like his midrange jumper is automatic like Patterson's or Scola's so his point is valid.
    The twin towers might work or might not and we will find out soon enough.

18. Play07

Play07 Member

Ultimate6thman

yes I know what Howard said about asik before months ago, then I know what Howard said yesterday on media day about jones, do you know that when he was asked has even talked to asik he was reply was NO

and asik midrange game was ok for that one game, ONE GAME, when the media asked asik yesterday does he feel like he can shoot jumpers his reply was ummmmmm I don't know about that, which is cool because that's not his game he likes to lay down low, and I'm not here saying jones is the starting PF I miss PPAT, but I'm saying on the CURRENT roster he get the starting spot, he more athletic can stay with smaller 4s, blocks Better, and has a more midrange 3 point game and can run the floor better, of course asik would be the best center out of jones and asik though

19. Ultimate6thMan

Patterson and Scola have been gone for a while now. Please stop bringing up the past or what could have beens. We also could not have Harden or Howard and neither Patterson or Scola would mean anything to this team without Harden and Howard. What ifs mean nothing.

Focusing only on what the twin towers can or will do offensively is seriously missing the point of the HUGE advantage defensively that it gives the team. The real question is can we still score at the pace or similar pace as before with them, because we KNOW that we will be better defensively with them at the same time and with staggering their minutes otherwise...i.e. keeping one of our rim protectors on the floor at all times so that we don't suffer like we did last year when Asik sat down.

Offensively, we have three good to great players in Harden, Parsons and JLin that can possibly more than make up for the lane being possibly a little closed by playing the twin towers. That's what we are experimenting with to see if it can work. Defensively, there is really no question. Howard or Asik can guard almost all PFs in this league.

20. Ultimate6thMan

Again, PPat was cool, but he's gone and been gone so no need bringing him up. Would you rather have him and not Howard? If we kept him, maybe we don't have Howard now. Just move on...he's gone.

Also again, I like TJones. I hope he can step up his game and become a very good PF for us. But defensively right now at least, I know that Asik is better than him. This particular twin tower experiment is all about defense and shutting down the lanes and rebounding of the other team. If we can get anything good offensively from this lineup, the twin towers will definitely be our starting lineup this entire season....if Asik isn't traded.