1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[ClutchFans] As Howard sacrifices minutes for wins, Bryant cripples Lakers’ future

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by The Cat, Nov 26, 2013.

1. HTown_DieHard

HTown_DieHard Member

my favorite part:

i can't wait to see kobe and melo taking a combined 65 shots per game next season.

2. roxxy

roxxy Member

Not sure I agree with the crux of this article. Houston media is a lot different from LA media so even if DH12 was complaining about shots and minutes chances are we wouldn't hear about it. Also the amount of expectations the LAL had last season was just a breeding ground for false narratives like DH12 was selfish. Very different now in Houston where there aren't those expectations.

3. HTown_DieHard

HTown_DieHard Member

Are you suggesting the Houston media is covering up Dwight's complaining?

And people call me a conspiracy theorist...

4. Hmm

Hmm Member

<object width="560" height="315"><param name="movie" value="//www.youtube.com/v/QOBvGGaDnKQ?hl=en_US&amp;version=3&start=54&autoplay=1&end=57"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="//www.youtube.com/v/QOBvGGaDnKQ?hl=en_US&amp;version=3&start=54&autoplay=1&end=57" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="560" height="315" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

5. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Contributing Member

Btw where have all these Laker fans come from? Crawling out of the woodwork eh? Nice time to show yourselves; get ready for years of losing to the Rockets. :p

6. kuku

kuku Contributing Member

I am glad you ask. Since you are the officer patrolling GARM and doesn't seem to understand the constructive part behind the criticisms, I will take the time.

On the opening night, as sort of gift to his fans, when Dwight made his promise that he will grab 30 rebounds, he ended up with 26. He gave his stellar performance of this season.

Answer this for me: Why can't he do that on a nightly basis? Now you know what he is capable of doing...

Statistically speaking, did you know for every Dwight's postup/game, it is equivalent to almost one less win?

Postup efficiency: 0.65 PPP
    Number of postups: 136
    Points from 136 possessions: 88 points

Team synergy efficiency: 0.98 ppp on 1651 plays
    Team Efficiency w/o D12 postups: 1.01 ppp

Points difference between Dwight postup and team average offensive possession: -0.36 ppp

Total difference (15 games): -49 points
    Points difference/game: -3.3 point/game

Pythagorean Wins for -3.3 points/game? -8.47 games for the season.
    His postup/game= 9.1

For every postup per game, we are projected to lose 0.93 game for the season. Less times he wants posting up, more wins for Rockets.

We should not go completely away from his postups. Just limit his number down low and stop asking for the ball when he is NOT having any success with any particular defender.

You might be surprised that I have nothing to say about his FT's because shooting 50% FT's for the season does NOT project to cost us games on the long run.

#166 kuku, Nov 26, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 26, 2013
  7. QazQay

QazQay Member

He has low PPP for post ups but thats not the whole story. He causes lots of fouls on the other team, which counts for something. He also very frequently rebounds his own miss off of a post up and tips it back in or kicks it out.

8. kuku

kuku Contributing Member

I already said we should not go completely away from posting up. Just limit his numbers and especially when he is not having much success against certain defenders. Sometimes the more he gets frustrated by a defender, the more he wants the ball. Instead of keeping his cool, all he is doing is losing the game.

9. dxdx

dxdx Member

Hahahaha. Dude has got a big mouth but a less than proportional mind to complement it. ;)

10. timyeung

timyeung Member

Howard is showing signs of maturity, and he is ready to sacrifice to get a ring. That is why he is asking his teammates to sacrifice their stats and playing time as well so that the team can win games. To trust in their teammates and the bench. McHale followed that when he kept the bench in the fourth quarter in the Memphis Grizzlies game when they were hot. Howard might be the vocal leader the Rockets need. McHale has no control over Harden, but perhaps Harden might listen to Howard.

11. mesta

mesta Member

it's the first time it happened. let's see if he can keep it up as his minutes dwindle, which is inevitable. the current rotation benefits asik,because he plays in fourth quarter against bench players or tired starters.

12. sirbaihu

sirbaihu Member

I'll let your words speak for themselves.

13. Angkor Wat

Angkor Wat Member

Honestly, if they offered me that in front of me, I'd sign it too. Especially after I had a major injury. Call me selfish.

14. Oracle

Oracle Member

I have a feeling that Dwight has really become a part of the team and that's why he has a completely different attitude for the game. He also understands that there is no point working on his stats line at this stage when the real issue comes up only in the playoffs. If he keeps fixing his game and simultaneously keeps himself healthy until that, the Rockets will be a really tough team to beat. If he continues like this, the team will go to finals with a good chance to wil it all.

15. verysimplejason

Team is all about sacrifices and Dwight is correct. You didn't hear any complaints from Lin either when he moved to the bench as the 6th man. Kudos to both of them.

Anyway, I was surprised that someone actually consider Lin to be a star. Is the writer a LOF? :D

"Head coach Kevin McHale opted to ride the hot hands, leaving Howard and Jeremy Lin on the bench as the Rockets put away the Grizzlies with a 38-23 burst. Most impressively, neither star seemed bothered at all. Howard, in particular, was routinely the first one off the Houston bench to high-five his teammates and encourage Asik (his own replacement) to keep up the good work."

16. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

I agree with the article about Howard's pay cut being much more substantial than Kobe's so-called pay cut. I just think that it's too early to praise Howard's attitude.

I hope he is a changed man. His history isn't exactly that of a choir boy.

17. I'm Tom Brady

I'm Tom Brady Member

Professional athletes... always wanting more :rolleyes:

18. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

You entire piece is homer arguing just to argue. Dwight Howard has been lambasted for not being focused on winning and for being wishy washy for years. He came to Houston for a host of reasons, one of which was a chance to win. You just want to focus on what fits your homer narrative.

The fact is many great players never took less money to add pieces to give their teams a better shot at winning, Jordan and Olajuwon among them. If only the Rockets had prioritized Dream's legacy we would have never had to see him wear another team's jersey.

And really if you know who's going to win the title every year then give me the next five so I can place some bets. Thanks.

1 person likes this.
  19. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

Duh. THAT'S THE ENTIRE POINT.

Notice the phrase "role reversal" in the headline? It's because for most of their careers, Howard has been blasted for not being focused on winning while Kobe has been lauded as the ultimate competitor. In this case, the evidence paints each of them in a different role. That's why it's new, and interesting.

As far as the last sentence, you're moving the goalposts all over the place just so you can b****. I don't know who's going to win the title every year. Never claimed to. But I do know who is a true contender, as stated in the article. The Lakers are not, and unless they add LeBron, they need much more than one max slot to get there.

P.S. What in the world are the reasons Dwight went to Houston besides chance to win? Would love to hear your spin there. You can pretty much cross market, Hakeem, Lin, China, etc. all off the list, since Dwight had the same opportunity to go to Houston in July and August of 2012 and hated the idea of it. What changed?

Uh, OK? This is why I know you're arguing just to argue -- I never said otherwise. Sure, there are merits to the other side... but at that point, it's not about basketball. The Rockets drew a line in the sand on Dream, and they thought going above it would compromise their team plans going forward. Maybe they should've treated Hakeem as royalty, but if they had, winning would've clearly been a secondary priority for both parties. In the case of Kobe, that's a little hypocritical, since he told the world that he's the guy to teach Dwight how to win.

The fact is that most great players are never in a reasonable position to take less money. The Rockets with Dream in the 90s? Well over the cap. Same with Jordan and the Bulls. Unless they wanted to sign for the league minimum, there was nothing those players could do to help their team -- even if they were willing. And, as stated earlier, those teams were already true contenders to begin with. So what would the point be?

Kobe, on the other hand... has a team that clearly isn't a contender AND has an obvious route to cap space. There's also a reasonable compromise in which he could still be paid a max-level contract comparable to LeBron, Paul, Durant and the other stars of today's game. He and the Lakers chose to play it differently. Buss himself admits that wanting to keep Kobe as the highest-paid player in the league was a priority. If winning basketball games was the top priority, the objective for both sides would be to get the most team-friendly contract possible to allow the Lakers to reasonably build a contender around him.

It wasn't the objective.

20. DuDDleyDawsonII

Can u name these stars that LA management bruoght in ? I dont recall many