1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[ClutchFans] As Howard sacrifices minutes for wins, Bryant cripples Lakers’ future

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by The Cat, Nov 26, 2013.

1. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

The beef I have with the article is that Howard's good attitude is a very small sample size.

2. real_egal

real_egal Contributing Member

I don't even want to comment on that, people are already comparing him to Duncan's years of pay-cut, because of ONE game, in which he was put on bench in 4th quarter, while the players on court making a furious comeback.

Furthermore, it's not he opted for sitting, he's given the highest praise for NOT COMPLAINING. Not that he doesn't deserve praise, but let's not just hand out championship-builder award so loosely.

1 person likes this.
  3. ivanyy2000

ivanyy2000 Contributing Member

Honeymoon period. What is new?

Wait until Howard plays a couple playoff series and face adversities.

One game? SMH.

4. Whoopy

Whoopy Member

There is no mind. It is an economic reference.

5. flamingdts

flamingdts Member

Howard did throw 30 million away for a chance of a championship.

So it's a fair statement to say Howard made sacrifices for a chance to win a championship.

6. HardenWay

HardenWay Member

It says more about the IQ of those running the Lakers.

7. real_egal

There is no doubt about that. He didn't want to play with Kobe, and he picked us among potential teams, I felt it's a win-win for Howard and Rockets.

But in this thread, we were talking about Howard sacrificing minutes in one game, who happens to be paid MAX by us vs Kobe getting paid max "crippling" Lakers.

8. DudeWah

DudeWah Member

Kobe has brought the Lakers 5 championships over the last decade or so.

Giving him an extra 48 million as a goodbye gift while sacrificing contender status for two years doesn't really mean much in the big picture.

9. kuku

kuku Contributing Member

Again, you do not comprehend from what I wrote. Where did I say I do not like Dwight? Stop assuming things with one track mind of yours.

I love Dwight as a Rocket. Liked the signing and love his talent. I was also one of the biggest proponents on Harden BEFORE the trade actually happened. I don't criticize Rocket players without any reasons. Nor am I a blind homer like some of you.

He and Harden are max players and Rockets will only go as far as they will carry us. To be scrutinized by fans when they are not performing worthy of their contracts is a norm on a fans site. If anything, constructive criticisms of players show more emotional investment on the team by posters than someone whose nerve is shot when reading anything, as you consider, as "negative" about ANY of the player.

10. flamingdts

flamingdts Member

It's an interesting juxtaposition and observation, and I don't think the article is using only the Memphis game as proof. For example, the article mentioned how Howard hasn't complained about the lack of FG attempts, or how Howard left 30 million on the table, all as evidence pointing towards the fact that Howard obviously values winning a lot more than what Kobe supposedly does.

The reason the article focused particularly on the Grizzlies game is most likely because the events occurred shortly between each other, so it's a nice event to talk about. Those two events are completely contrary to what a lot of people preach, like how Howard "whines" a lot about touches, or how Kobe does everything he needs to win rings etc.

11. nachbarFTW

nachbarFTW Member

I don't think you can ever blame a guy for taking the maximum amount of money someone will give him. We really have no right to say people should take less money- would we do the same if we had the opportunity?
    I really don't see how these two stories allign.

12. cjtaylorpt

cjtaylorpt Member

Where is Kirby's left hand going?

13. sirbaihu

sirbaihu Member

Exactly. So what are you so proud of the mindless "invisible hand" for? Because it's been good to you. Is that the best defense you, an economist, can muster?

14. Rockets2K

Rockets2K Clutch Crew

Thats a real nice strawman you've built there.:rolleyes:

If that is what you are getting from the responses here, then you need to re-read them. The general consensus I am seeing are people pleased about the Lakers screwing themselves and their fans for the next three years.

Then you have others who have taken that as a personal assault on their golden boy Kobe. It isn't one....but when you have a guy who has built his entire mystique around being this ultra-competitor who only wants to win, and then turns around and swallows the money needed to get him some help, you really can't claim with a straight face he ONLY cares about winning....because the Lakers are well and truly screwed because of the contract he just signed....and I could NOT be happier.

15. HTown_DieHard

HTown_DieHard Member

Howard was lambasted for leaving LA. The word "selfish" was often used.

Kobe's new deal is a straight up cash grab that will ultimately cost the Lakers any chance of signing Lebron. Thus, they have 3 years of irrelevancy to look forward to.

Hope that clears it up for ya.

16. sirbaihu

sirbaihu Member

Interesting. . . . I never thought of that. All the constructive criticism of Lin on CF shows posters' emotional investment in him too, I guess. . . . Oh, constructive criticism. . . . Where was the constructive part of your criticism again?

So I'm an officer, and you're the judge :) See? We can work hand in hand.

17. swyyyguy

swyyyguy Member

RT @kobebryant: Btw lakers have max cap space and then some #mitchissharp #bussfamsharp #lakers

The Lakers are smarter than we think.

18. real_egal

Speaking of strawman argument, "personal assault on their golden boy Kobe" is a prime example from you sir, "arguing" against my point. As I repeatedly stated I dislike Kobe's personality and hate that organization.

I would love to share some of your Schadenfreude over "Lakers screwing themselves" prediction, but I am afraid our wishes won't get granted. When they let Shaq go and hung on Kobe, fans here predicted or better to say, seriously hoped, they would be screwed. But they won 2 more titles with Kobe as their main guy.

As I said, they have been a well-run organization over the decades. Us, random fans on Internet, don't lecture them how to run their business.

Kobe is an utlra-competitor, and that's a fact. Only if TMac had half of that, we would have talked about multiple deep playoff runs with him.

Nobody ONLY cares about winning, they are not machines. I would never demand anyone of anything I can't do myself.

19. HTown_DieHard

HTown_DieHard Member

obviously they have enough cap room for 1 more max deal.

gasol is off the books after this season.

BUT, 1 max player + kobe does not make the lakers a title contender. If Kobe took a #sharp pay cut, they would bring two max players on + an old Kobe & they would make some noise.

20. jocar

jocar Member