1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[clutchfans-archive] "Without him I probably never become a big Rocket fan."

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by tinman, Apr 26, 2010.

?

Clutch,

1. I've always known this

99 vote(s)
    62.3%
  2. Now I know

42 vote(s)
    26.4%
  3. I still don't understand, he wasn't a scoring champ

18 vote(s)
    11.3%
  1. Scarface281

Scarface281 Contributing Member

Exactly, but glad we had Hakeem. Always a legend.

2. mfastx

mfastx Member
    Supporting Member

So, according to tinman, Clutch was a "fake Rockets fan" because he became a fan because of one player.

;)

3. dakeem1

dakeem1 Member

That is non-sensicle. The only fans who can legitimetly claim that they became a rockets fan for the team, and not because of any player, are the fans who actually live in Houston. They root for the Rockets because it's their home team.

For people like me who don't live in Houston (I'm not even from the USA), there has to be someone or something that hooks you in to the Rockets. It may be simply winning 2 championships. Or it may be Dream, or the great role players, or the clutch attitude. Either way, something hooks a Rockets fan in.

I was hooked in by Dream. Does that make me a dream only fan? No, because after he left, I continued to support the team, even through the lowly pajama era.

Therefore, I may not like the YOFs on this board, but I will respect them as rockets fans if they continue to support long after Yao retires or leaves this team.

1 person likes this.
  4. aakhan786

aakhan786 Contributing Member

Hayes St.

5. mikol13

mikol13 Protector of the Realm
    Supporting Member

Would have been just fine, but I hate the almighty Jordan, it didn't happen so I won't live with the what ifs. Hakeem is a Houston icon and i feel more than lucky to have been able to witness his entire career, and share it with everyone that loves this team. I seriously wouldn't trade it for Jordan's 6 titles.

6. thcdrummer007

thcdrummer007 Member

Hakeem was a badass mofo...there will never be another center like him...great memories.

7. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

I would have become a Rockets fan eventually, i ended up rooting for the Astros and Texans and they didn't have dream, but dream and his greatness started my whole love of sports and made the Rockets my first team in this town. (Although I'm curious how big a Texans fan I'll become if they ever get good)

8. ASidd_1990

ASidd_1990 Rookie

The Dream is the Greatest to Ever play the Game!

Enough Said! No debate, end of arguement!

9. PlanetG

PlanetG Member

sweet archive read. :thumbs up:

The Dream owns us!! And I for one will never wake up, baby. ;)

10. mfastx

mfastx Member
    Supporting Member

I was being sarcastic, because the OP thinks that if you like a player on a certain team, and therefore a fan of that team, then you are a "fake" fan of that team.

11. dakeem1

dakeem1 Member

Haha, ok me sorry!

12. JoeBarelyCares

JoeBarelyCares Contributing Member

But if we hadn't done the trade, we would have never got Boki.

13. RedStaag

RedStaag Rookie

wanna know how important Olajuwon is to the Houston Rockets Organization??

Since he got traded/retired, Houston Rockets fans began leaving in the past since the future was filled with disappointments and frequent first round exits.

14. david_rocket

david_rocket Member

I wish I had watched all his career :(
    but at least I saw the 2 championships, but back I didnt knew a lot about basketball, and couldnt enjoy well those years.

15. bbjai

bbjai Member

Tinman your options suck absolute donkey balls. Where is the I haven't seen enough Hakeem Olajuwon games cause I'm way too young to understand. You develop love for players by watching they play constantly. Its clear that alot of fans of the Rockets now are after the Hakeem era. And mind i put it forward to you his Era was before the era of internet streaming and media where the NBA is now open to a world wide audience.

16. jedicro

jedicro Member

Wait, I'm confused. Is that article about Tracy McGrady?

17. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

Thats what I was going to say. It started with Hayes even if his best days were not in houston, then moses. Man, moses was such a hard working big it was incredible. I mean no excuses, no nothing and he packed a team to the finals. When the trade went down with philly, i stopped rooting for the back of the jersey as much and just stuck with the front. Dream came along after his stellar career at U of H and it was a blast. I always thought the rockets should've given him a 2 yr deal with an option like Sa did with Robinson.

18. Chamillionaire

yeah, me too. i started watching the rockets a little after they went to play boston in the championship, when olajuwon was still young but had a few years under his belt. we should all consider ourselves lucky to have watched him dominate, especially the championship years. the only other player i watched so smooth and dominant was MJ.

if hakeem isn`t the best post player ever, i can`t imagine how good the other players would have been. he was simply incredible.

19. okierock

okierock Contributing Member

Hakeem....

That article brings a tear.

Obviously it is debatable that there have been better players but one thing is certain, there was only one Dream.

There are few players like that. Heck Jordan can be compared to Kobe or Clyde.

Dream

Wilt

Shaq

Those are really the only players I can come up with that are without peer. Maybe Ralph, but his star didn't last.

20. reckonerone42

reckonerone42 Member

My very first sporting memories were of Hakeem doing absolutely incredible thing on the basketball court, routinely leaving defenders in the dust and commentators speechless at the things he was able to do during the first championship run and during those games where he inexplicably, at least at the time to me, wouldn't drink water (Of course, now I get it). I can remember myself as a 5 year old boy asking my dad in the living room why "the Dweam," as I called him back in the day, was so much better than everyone he was playing against, to which he simply responded, "Because he's the best." My dad's been right about a lot of things in his life, but truer words have never been spoken to me than those.

I still get chills every time I go back and watch old videos of him owning Ewing, Robinson, and every other inferior center. He's absolutely the reason why I'm a Rockets fan today and have been for literally as long as I can remember and I was so ticked off when he got traded. Anyway, thanks for the find tinman. Really brought back the memories for me.