1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Clutchfans Annual NCAA Bracket Challenge

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by ItsMyFault, Mar 10, 2010.

1. francis 4 prez

francis 4 prez Contributing Member

is there any doubt butler is winning this? they're playing the perfect "team of destiny that f4p hates" role right now. they've got mack hitting pull-up 3's right in people's faces while duke is missing open 3's, howard gets in foul trouble so they throw in some scrub senior and he start hitting 3's like he's larry bird and converting ridiculous drives to the basket for 10 points in about 5 minutes, duke suddenly looks like UT at the free throw line and now they don't know how to rebound either. butler just keeps hanging around, hitting shots they shouldn't just when they need to like they have all tourney long. hopefully it doesn't work out that way, but sometimes you can't fight the team of destiny.

2. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Butler is "dragging Duke down to their level" with defense. Nothing wrong with that at all. The only thing that matters is the final score, not how you win. Butler's only chance of winning tonight is to do it ugly.

At some point I'm wondering if Duke will take over the game when Butler goes into a scoring drought. Seems like when Duke really turns up the intensity on defense, Butler has almost no chance to score.

I'm satisfied with the first half. I just hope Butler has the energy and composure to do it another 20 minutes. One big question: Can they keep up the rebounding?

3. francis 4 prez

that's where the team of destiny and "one and done" factors come into play. when you play good D and some guy named jukes who has scored 100 points all season starts draining 3's and making awkward drives to the basket when you are starting to create some distance, there's not much you can do. same when 80% ft shooters are 0-3 from the line. hopefully duke pulls it together on 3's and ft and butler pretends they are butler on offense for a few minutes.

4. Ubiquitin

Ubiquitin Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

The Refs are going against Duke, it would seem.

5. rockets934life

rockets934life Contributing Member

Butler's defensive intensity is REALLY impressive...

6. Ubiquitin

Ubiquitin Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Singler pushed his defender.

7. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

The officiating situation is very worrisome. Scheyer just tipped in a ball hanging on the left side of the rim, no call. Then, Thomas hacks Howard across the arm, no call, then a follow call on Howard for his fourth.

8. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

At some point, Butler will tire and start using their hands (and fouling) instead of moving their feet. I can't see them expending this level of energy the entire game.

9. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

That was unfortunate. But I thought college basketball refs are so great.

10. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

That was a bulls*** charge call. Should have been and-1.

11. francis 4 prez

singler (edit: scheyer) got fouled on a jumper earlier with no call and the refs called a quick jump ball to give it to butler when it would have been out on howard.

the real problem is nored forcing a terrible drive, getting it blocked, only to have the block go to a teammate who then gives it to nored, an 18% 3 pt shooter, who swishes it.

i'm not sure that was a charge on heyward but he clearly traveled before that. college refs love of calling charges won out over their love of traveling calls.

and now singler, a great shooter misses a gimme that could have given duke a tie for its biggest lead and heyward is now going to the line.

12. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

See my post from a page or two ago. Welcome to the wonderful world of college basketball, where everything is a charge. It's a flopper's paradise.

13. rockets934life

rockets934life Contributing Member

Zoubek getting in foul trouble is HUGE now lets see if Butler can make something happen.

14. francis 4 prez

it should have just been a travel and they could have saved heyward a foul. hopefully he doesn't get in foul trouble.

15. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

These are the last two teams standing in the tournament. But I think most of us can agree these are NOT the two best teams in college basketball. That's what you get with one-and-done and is a key reason why March Madness is so great.

16. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

These charge calls are just flippin' ridiculous man.

17. francis 4 prez

that's actually the main thing i hate about march madness. i like to see the best of the best. not the survivors of (relative) randomness. series are why i like the nba playoffs.

18. francis 4 prez

duke just refusing to score when they have the ball up 4.

19. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

And these superior NCAA officials miss a blatant travel and award an And-1. That's so much better than the NCAA.

20. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Fixed