1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[ClutchFans] A Rockets Trade Scenario with every Lottery Team

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, May 25, 2022.

1. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

Portland is looking at Ayton, OG, Grant, maybe even Myles Turner. Unfortunately I haven’t heard Christian Wood’s name mentioned by any Blazers insiders.

I don’t think the market will be there for Wood; not at what Stone wants to get for him. Feigen said it’s more likely than not Wood at least starts the season with the Rockets. That’s sounding more and more logical considering we aren’t hearing his name connected to big-needy teams. Also I have heard that his attitude and coachability is a real concern for would-be interested teams.

bracing myself for a third year year of Christian Wood.

2. kjayp

kjayp Contributing Member

I think Sengun is undervalued... i see him as a possible legit piece - and he's on 'the timeline' lol... as a package with #17 - pass...
    For the most part, the trades moving Wood or Ego or Tate or KMJ and moving up - i'm good with...
    consolidate some assets and lets take some swings...
    just make em the right ones...

3. Hard Rock

Hard Rock Member

I think we need to keep at least one of Tate/KMJr., avoid to take back any dead money (bigger than $10mil. on someone not in the plan) beyond 2023', and i really hate to see Sengun go in any of these trades, so here's my take on only those teams makes sense to trade with:

#1 Orlando
    if they decided Banchero is the guy they want (which they should, Paolo is the Go-to-guy type of player the Magics desperately need. if they choose Jabari/Chet they'll be still seeking that alpha player next draft), they'll trade down to #3 and get more assets. In the Magics view, it's not Jabari/Chet vs Banchero, it should be Jabari/Chet vs Banchero + a couple more picks or young talent, and i think the later makes a lot senses for them.
    * Trade: Pick #3 Paolo Banchero + J.Tate + Milwaukee unprotected 23'FRP for Pick #1 Jabari Smith + Hampton
    i'd want Jabari to start his career at SF tho., as KD did, and move to PF later in his career. Jabari has the lateral quickness to guard SF, and before he developed his handling and play-making skills he can just shoot over smaller players at the 3.

#4 Sacramento
    their owner wants to be in playoffs next season. KPJr. might not be finished product either, but in his 4th year he should contribute more than rookie Shaedon Sharpe or Jaden Ivey in helping the Kings push for a playoff spot in 2023, and they'll still get a high lottery pick back next year from Houston. for the Rockets, if you can build a team around J.Green, J.Ivey, and one of the top 3 big man, you don't need another high pick next year, just protect the pick from slim chance of landing the Wemby guy and maybe Scoot.
    * Trade: KPJr. + Rockets 2023 FRP (Top 2 Protected, right to swap with Nets pick), 24' Nets unprotected FRP, for Pick #4 Jaden Ivey + #37

#5 Detroit
    this is only IF the Kings take Sharpe or Murray at #4 and Rockets likes Ivey's potential equal or very close to Banchero's. and of course if the Pistons intrigued in Cade/Paolo duo pairing. and since it's been rumored awhile about the Blazers wanted Jerami Grant, so
    * 3-teams trade:
    Hou. get: #5 J.Ivey, #7 B.Matherin
    Det. gets: #3 P.Banchero, J.Tate, Bledsoe, #36pk (Por.)
    Por. gets: J.Grant, Milwaukee unprotected 23'FRP

#6 Indiana
    this is if Keegan Murray still available at #6 and the Rockets value Murray a very close talent to Banchero so trade down 3 spots for Murray + Turner to add defense to its core. plus a future FRP and a high second pick which the Rockets highly valued (Targets could be EJ.Liddell, L.Miller, K.Chandler, ...)
    * 3-teams trade:
    Hou. get: #6 K.Murray, Myles Turner, #31pk (Indy), Portland future Lotto-Protected FRP
    Indy. gets: #3 P.Banchero, Bledsoe (Expiring/Waived)
    Por. gets: E.Gordon

#7 Portland
    i like Clutch's proposed trade of Wood+Tate+#17 for Bledsoe + #7, but i'm not sure if that's enough for the Blazers to bite so i'll add the Bucks FRP as sweetener. I don't agree on Clutch's targets at #7 tho (K.Murray/D.Daniels/AJ.Griffin/J.Duren), i think Murray won't be available at #7 and I'd pick B.Mathurin ahead of Daniels/Griffin/Duren.

#8 New Orleans
    I don't believe the Rockets will take on Graham's 3yr $36mil. left dead money that'll hurt their 2023 cap when they should be ready to go all-in (as Tillman said the year to spend $$). and I really feel Dyson Daniels would be a perfect fit for the Pelicans here, so, i don't really see it happening but just for fun:
    * Trade: Wood + Tate + #17 + Milwaukee FRP for Nance Jr. + #8
    again, if available, I'd take B.Mathurin for the Rockets instead of Daniels/Griffin/Duren

#9 San Antonio
    I'll only give up multiple FRPs for this #9 pick only if B.Matherin falls this far
    * Trade: Tate + #17 + Milwaukee FRP for #9 + filler; pick B.Matherin

after the #9 pick the only target left that really interested me that should fall in #10-#17 is Tari Eason. since I believe the top 12 picks is pretty much set of these players: Jabari, Chet, Paolo, Ivey, Sharpe, Murray, Matherin, Daniels, Davis, Duren, Griffin, Sochan.
    and the Hornets should take M.Williams at #15 (knowing the #14 Cavaliers probably not a fit for Williams they should secure another guy they really like at #13 first). that leaves with #13/16 as biggest threat to lose out on Eason, but there's quite a few players that might fall in this range too: let's say Charlotte at #13 pick another high potential big in Dieng/Jovic or they have enough bigs knowing they're getting M.Williams so take a wing whoever they feel better between Branham and Agbaji, and the Cavaliers take the other one at #14. as predicted #15 will be M.Williams going to Charlotte, that leaves only Atlanta at #16 to land Eason before Houston pick. I feel a possibility the Hawks take TyTy Washington here to give themself a backup behind Trae, thus the Rockets has a chance to steal T.Eason at #17.
    therefore, the only worthy trade up to #10-16 is if the Rockets knowing the Hornets are taking T.Eason at #13 or the Hawks taking him at #16 then they might want to get ahead at #12, in this case i'll do the proposed trade by Clutch: #17 + Milwaukee 23' FRP for #12 (T.Eason) + #34.

after the draft next challenge will be to find a trade to move Wall and Wood (if not traded on the draft day), maybe/maybe not Gordon since he didn't caused any locker room problem and he's comfortable at the 6th man role. i can see the Clippers might be a fit for Wall, they have interest in Wall and some large contracts to work in R.Jackson, M.Morris, Kennard. Rockets don't want long-term contract in return in a Wall trade, so they have to re-route Morris and Kennard to a 3rd team. Horford is one of few large expiring contracts that can be used in a trade involves Wall (K-Love is another possibility), and the Celtics might want some more shooting that they can get from Morris and Kennard, depends on their playoff outcome. the Clippers gets Wall to try one year with PG13/Kawhi and $44 millions off their book to lure a 3rd star in 2023. it could be just a 3-team trade here: Hou. gets: Horford + R.Jackson / LAC. gets: Wall / Bos. gets M.Morris + Kennard. but i really like John Collins and wanted Wood out so i'll expend it to a 4-teams trade:
    Hou. get: J.Collins, Horford
    LAC gets: Wall
    Bos. gets: M.Morris, Kennard
    Atl. gets: C.Wood, R.Jackson

if we got Jabari (in the #1 trade), J.Ivey (in the #4 trade), trade up or steal T.Eason at #17 (EJ.Liddell is my fallback plan if failed to acquire Eason), we could have a line-up of this:

Sengun, Horford, Fernando(Re-sign)
    J.Collins, T.Eason, Garuba
    J.Smith, KMJr., Nwaba, Queen
    J.Green, Gordon, Mathews
    J.Ivey, Jaygup, Nix

if more pick is needed EGo can be swapped for Bledsoe + a pick to use in any of these trades. Stone can always pickup a veteran backup PG in free agency or buy-out market when this team is ready to compete in 23'/24'.

Easy likes this.
  4. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

Great Post. I like the Indy trade a bunch if we could pull it off. Agree on Portland don’t think we have enough and would definitely add the Milwaukee pick if that would do it.

Not as enthused with Mathurin as you are. I am totally in on Daniels and one of Eason/Murray/Duren/Sochan

5. JohnWoo713

JohnWoo713 Member

Sacramento and Portland seems like the two teams we can make realistic deals with.
    Sacramento giving up #4, holiday and richaun Holmes for KPJ, Wood, Tate and #17 would be a great deal for both teams as the rockets add another vet in holiday along with a moveable Holmes contract you can pair with Nwaba. Take both Paolo and Ivey here at #3 and #4.
    Another option could be trading wood tate matthews and #17 for #7 from portland and then move KPJ and #7 to Sac for #4 or keep KPJ and #7. Take Paolo & Duren

6. D-rock

D-rock Member

Tate is a very efficient and productive rebounder especially for only heong 6'4.

Does this increase his trade value any? :D