1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[ClutchFans] A Rockets Trade Scenario with every Lottery Team

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, May 25, 2022.

1. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

I don't doubt most likely scenario is probably just draft Paolo if he's the big available, unless they have some super secret metric on jaden ivy or whatever that projects him as a high probability All NBA caliber player.

I do think trading down (to Portland or whoever around the top 10) could possibly be a coup, the Wem-B draft next year offers about as close to a guaranteed franchise cornerstone as you're going to get, you just picked 2nd last year and got a future star, so picking in the top 10 doesn't " seem" as bad, and it's a pretty well regarded draft this year with not many teams looking to move down, thus a sellers market.

It would be cool to see the Rockets or other teams make trades for 2023 picks with weird protections, like a 2023 pick that's protected 2-14 but not protected at 1, basically a Victor Powerball package.

burlesk and Clutch like this.
  2. dmoneybangbang

I think Portland is the goal, but I think it will cost more than Wood, Tate, and #17 since this is essentially their biggest trade chip to build around Dame. Probably will have to toss in one of Garuba or Josh Christopher.

I like Washington as a trade partner too.

3. thekad

thekad Member

I don’t think there’s any reason to give a lot of value for #7, especially if Keegan isn’t there. Give up less to move up for Daniels/Sochan/Eason/Williams. A lot of those guys between Keegan and #17 have interchangeable value imo.

burlesk, SamFisher and raining threes like this.
  4. raining threes

I love Sengun,

If I could get say Ayton for Gordon/Wood, I would definitely look at using Sengun and #17 if I could get move up to get Murray.

Want to see a good young team?

Murray
    Banchero
    Ayton
    Green
    KPJ.

Tate
    Gary Bird
    Ivisic - Using KMJ and Bucks pick to move up.
    Schroeder
    Nix
    Garuba
    JC

I would be good with somehow getting Daniels or Eason if I couldn't get Murray.

#44 raining threes, May 26, 2022
    Last edited: May 26, 2022
  5. SamFisher

In mid season we can send them Wall for a freshly injured and extended Beal.

People underestimate how convenient this would be, there is already tons of surplus Wall 2 wizards gear out there, just get it out of the back.

mikenm268 likes this.
  6. BMoney

BMoney Contributing Member

This is where they have to really trust their evaluation and map out the mainstays of the roster moving forward. I don't think drafting for fit is a good idea with this roster and their current timeline. If they think Ivey is the best talent, then I hope they can work out a trade with Sacramento. If Banchero, or whomever falls to 3, is who they covet, great.

7. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

Im good with 3 of the deals:

1) Blazers second deal:
    Sengun / Eric Gordon / Tate....... x...... Bledsoe / pk #7 / 2023 Bucks 1st

I don't see Sengun-Banchero ever working together. Trade Sengun before both
    look bad trying to fit together.

Draft Keegan Murray or Mathurin
    Waive Bledsoe Non Guaranteed portion of salary and go after Chris Boucher.
    (When can Bledsoe be waived?.....fully guaranteed 06/29/22 according to sportrac)

Roster:
    Porter.............Josh Christopher / Nix
    Jalen Green....Mathews / Queen
    Kenyon............Keegan M or Mathurin / Nwaba
    C Wood..........Chris Boucher / Banchero
    Banchero.......Garuba
    --------------------------------------------------

2) Washington
    pk #17 / 2023 Bucks 1st Rd pk (unprotected top 4)......x.....Pick #10

Target Tari Eason, Sochan, Mathurin

3) Hornets
    C Wood / Pick #17............x.............. PJ Washington / Pick #13

Target Eason, Sochan, Mark Williams

#47 ApacheWarrior, May 26, 2022
    Last edited: May 26, 2022
  8. Rokman

Rokman Member

Did a bot write this??? How the hell is Houston going to trade with itself?? I stopped reading right there.

9. burlesk

burlesk Serious business
    Supporting Member

Clutch was being funny.

TimDuncanDonaut likes this.
  10. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

Mehhhhhh

Dyson Daniels is probably the most exciting prospect in that 5-10 range
    The guy grew almost 3 inches and has better than expected athleticism. As someone at 6'8 who is already a defensive stopper he has value, then consider his true PG vision and dribbling skills and you are simply a jumpshot away from an all-star

Said as someone who loooves Keegan Murray's game and work ethic

red5rocket and dmoneybangbang like this.
  11. TimDuncanDonaut

Agree with this; Jerami Grant is more desirable as a trade chip. Pistons have more to offer. Pistons is a front runner for Blazers' 7th.

And EGO is under-rated by the league, I would say it's other teams' loss, except, as a Rockets trade chip, it's our loss too.

saleem likes this.
  12. Rokman

Rokman Member

Ah!

burlesk likes this.
  13. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Anyone post the David Aldridge column from The Athletic about the Wizards needing to trade up? It doesn't involve trading Sengun (@Clutch, you're a devil!), so I thought I'd toss it in here. Not saying I'd go for it (and it's likely BS anyway). Their 10th pick, a future 1st (the first available to trade after they fulfil their obligation to OKC, which sounds a little complicated to me at 2am - maybe their 2024 pick with some sort of protection? Those two picks and some of their young talent. Maybe two of Rui Hachimura (ninth pick, 2019), Deni Avdija (ninth, 2020) and Corey Kispert (15th, 2021)? Needless to say, there's a boatload of possibilities for the Rockets at 10. Real talent.

Of course, this is Aldridge, but he seems to think the Wizards might be eager to try for our 3rd (Banchero) or the Kings 4th and Keegan Murray. Here's a bit of his reasoning, such as it is:

"If we assume Gonzaga’s Chet Holmgren and Auburn’s Jabari Smith Jr. will go, in some order, to Orlando at No. 1 and Oklahoma City at No. 2, the draft really will begin at No. 3 with the Rockets. Houston’s general manager, Rafael Stone, wants to build through the draft, but he’s also got a rather impatient owner in Tilman Fertitta — who, I’m guessing, wasn’t thrilled at being 23rd in the league this season in attendance. (At 24, your Washington Wizards!) Houston had a great draft last year, bringing in Jalen Green, Alperen Şengün, Usman Garuba and Josh Christopher as primary building blocks. It would be easy for the Rockets to add another foundational piece this year at No. 3, either Duke’s Paolo Banchero or Purdue’s Jaden Ivey.

Sheppard needs to short-circuit that thought process."

https://theathletic.com/3331827/2022/05/26/washington-wizards-nba-draft/

14. SamFisher

i don't think Hachimura or Avidjia project to anything other than "ok role players to have as 8th or 9th guys" at this point. Avidja is borderline unplayable on offense. I didn't follow Kispert much but, probably the same trajectory as the other 2. Basically I don't think many teams, especially the Rockets would give up positive value for them as they're too close to replacement-level.

If the Wizards want to move up to take the 3rd pick it would have to be a very draft-heavy package, but they've already sent their future picks away (to get westbrook tthat the Rockets turned into Sengun) so they don't have a lot to send, near-term. Like I said, I'm actually a fan of trading down but unless the Wizards can unlock some additional value by trading Beal or something, they probably don't have the goods to make it happen.

Deckard likes this.
  15. pmac

pmac Contributing Member

I agree that you should trade down if you prefer the #5 guy to Banchero.

I think the idea is to increase your chances of landing a cornerstone or getting more cracks at lottery picks or franchise cornerstones in future years. I'm not sure there's a bunch of those guys in this draft

So, the ideal scenario may be to sell some of our assets for unprotected picks next year.

But, yea, if we're just giving up role players like Nwaba or Tate you gotta do it if you can draft a player with high upside and size.

16. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

(wow, quoted you twice - edit! )
    I agree. His column, not terribly convincing, almost makes it appear that Aldridge is carrying water for the Wizards organization. I'm sure Washington fans enjoyed the read.

It's an example of how other teams are likely viewing the Rockets, however. We have a great pick in a top heavy draft, a draft, however, that has some real talent down into the lower end of the lottery, in my opinion. I think we'll get serious offers for #3. Can't see the Wizards being able to come up with an attractive package, but I bet others will. We're likely to stick with our pick, but Stone has to be getting pressure from Tilman to perform miracles.

#56 Deckard, May 27, 2022
    Last edited: May 27, 2022
  17. Rokman

Rokman Member

The Rockets need big bodies, and talented ones on the team. They need to take one of the Top 3, period. Part of the benefit of those top three is that they comes with a Rookie contract and should out perform most of their peers. Next year the Rockets are going to have more money to spend than they can imagine. Hold out, get their top 2 from the Draft (Green and probably Banchero) and sign their third star next off-season. Free agents will be easy to get after that.

The #17 pick got the Rockets in a good position but not a great position to add another big and in my opinion should be where they are working the phones the most. I've boiled it down to one of the big Forwards or Williams or both (ideally both but I doubt they pull that off) I think if I had to choose, I'm more enticed by Williams because they need a rim protecting big BAD! They can pair him next to Sengun or Banchero at different times and keep that paint locked down.

"Hail Hydra", txtodd and Moe like this.
  18. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

I proposed 3 +17 for 1 trade up in another thread because I liked Jabari more than Paolo.

Jabari has two of the most valued skills in today's NBA--3pt shooting and switchable defense, already at an elite level. In other words, the worst he can be is a super 3&D guy. These players are most coveted second only to superstar franchise players.

Banchero has a higher ceiling no doubt. He is great at the midrange and playmaking. But he doesn't have the aforementioned two highly valued skills. He may improve his 3pt shooting, but there's no guarantee. Much less likely is him becoming an elite switchable defender. Basically, best case scenario for Paolo is a PF version (bigger but slower) of Devin Booker, which is of course great.

In short, Banchero has a higher ceiling but lower floor. With him you will have to hope that he will improve on those two things. What Smith already has will be valuable and fit well with any team, a highly tradeable asset.

That said, if Orlando really likes Banchero more than the other two bigs, then I wouldn't trade with them just yet and dare them to take Banchero at #1. If they pick Smith at 1, then we can talk trading 3 + 17 for Smith. I am sure the Rockets aren't going to show their hand, and will keep saying that they will be happy to take whichever one of the top 3.

Aruba77 likes this.
  19. fadeaway

fadeaway Contributing Member

I don't like any of these trades involving Sengun. Boo to that. o_O

Little Bit and Rokman like this.
  20. Rokman

Rokman Member

Sengun is part of the long-term plans and may even be that 3rd star we and other teams are looking for. I would be in no rush to move him.

Little Bit, TimDuncanDonaut and kjayp like this.