1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[ClutchFans] A Rockets Trade Scenario with every Lottery Team

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, May 25, 2022.

1. NIKEstrad

NIKEstrad Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Clutch dropping the John Wall bomb discretely…

2. photojoe

photojoe Member

Thanks for writing this! It's fun to read through these ideas.
    I think I'm terrible at coming up with trade ideas and usually the ones I do come up with are just a little bit unrealistic (you mean we cant trade Wood and cash considerations for Luka and Ja?)- but it's fun to read from others. The Portland deals seems to make too much sense to me for both teams to not happen

don grahamleone likes this.
  3. theDude

theDude Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

He referred to maximum cap space, not cap space for a maximum contract. Wall, Gordon, Wood and Nwaba coming off the books in 2023 means that the Rockets could potentially offer two players maximum contracts. The idea of two free agents teaming up with some young future all-stars in support is a lot different than one guy tying his wagon to a bunch of 21 year olds who haven’t accomplished anything yet. Not making deals to disrupt the maximum amount of cap space in 2023 could net two FAs who would never consider coming to the Rockets on their own.

It’s a bit of a gamble, but I think the Rockets could certainly justify holding off on any trades this offseason that would disrupt that cap space next offseason. I’m not sure that the 2023 free agent class will be that great, and there will be other teams closer to contention offering contracts, so we’ll just have to wait and see which route the Rockets go.

4. sydmill

sydmill Member

Houston Out: Wood, Tate, Mathews and pick 17
    Houston in: Mason Plumlee, Kemba Walker, Pick 13 and Dallas' 2023 first round pick

New York Out: Kemba Walker, Pick 11 and Dallas' 2023 first round pick
    New York in: Tate, PJ Washington and pick 15

Charlotte Out: Plumlee, Washington and picks 13 & 15
    Charlotte In: Wood, Mathews and picks 11 & 17

Why Houston does it: They end up in range for Eason or Sochan and pick up more ammo for a move up in the 2023 draft. Plumlee is only partially guaranteed but I'd keep both he and Walker as vets to show the youngins the ropes.

KPJ - Nix - Walker
    JG - JC - EG
    Martin - Eason - Nwaba
    pick 3 - Thaddeus Young (fa signing)
    Sengun - Garuba - Plumlee

Why NY does it: They bolster their bench with Tate and Washington at the cost of Walker (who they've given up on already) and moving back 4 picks. They keep the main pieces for a Donovan Mitchell offer (Barrett, Quickley, Reddish, Toppin and picks or swaps). Even though they are dropping down they still would be in range of Tyty Washington who is likely a target at 11 already.

Washington - Rose - Quickley
    Barrett - Fournier - Grimes
    Reddish - Tate
    Randle - Washington - Toppin
    Mitchell - Noel

-or, if there is Donovan Mitchell trade-

Washington - Rose
    Mitchell - Fournier - Grimes
    Tate - Grimes
    Randle - Washington
    Mitchell - Noel

Why Charlotte does it: They are looking for a big or bigs to team up with Lamelo. Wood gives them the perfect fit in a D'Antoni offense for a looksee year. But they also move up to get either Duren or Mark Williams in the draft. The cost of this move is really just PJ Washington (who is likely to be traded soon anyway with his rookie deal expiring and Bridges firmly in at the 4) and moving down from 15 to 17 where they still can get an impact wing that they will need to grow with their core (Kendall Brown).

Ball
    Rozier - Bouknight - Mathews
    Hayward - Brown - McDaniels
    Bridges - Jones
    Wood - Duren

burlesk likes this.
  5. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

2023 FA class is not looking good, unless we're wanting to reunite Harden and Westbrook. Jokic will be an FA that season, but if he's leaving Denver it'd be for a contender and not to be put around guys who are 3-4 years away from making an impact in the playoffs.

burlesk and theDude like this.
  6. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

incredible thoughtful post. And of course we have to give it up to clutch and Bima. But I’m with you. Can’t understand why folks are so high on Jabari and low on Paolo relative to fit. I love Sengun as much as the next guy, and actually think there are a lot of similarities with Paolo, but I have no doubt that Paolo is the safest pick in the draft with upside and I really think his drive to be great is super high too. I will be fine if Jabari falls to us, which people are completely underestimating the possibility, but I do not think he has the star power of Paolo. I’m actually shocked others see that differently.

Moe, burlesk and Rashmon like this.
  7. BHannes2BHonest

BHannes2BHonest 2 SOLID FOR WEIRD AZZES

Loved the article but I must’ve been drunk because I didn’t get the Houston to the rockets trade :eek::confused::eek:

8. D-rock

D-rock Member

Trade up to acquire #1, #2 is great idea but I'm also fine staying at #3.

Not interested in trading for picks 4-6 if it costs Sengun.

But trading up from #17 to acquire pick between #7 and #12 os right move - target would be Tari Eason.

EGo, Tate AND #17 AND 2023 Bucks FRP may be a bit of overkill but I'd still do it.

Coming away from this draft with Chet/Jabari/Paolo and Eason would be win-win.

PG - KPJ
    SG - Green
    SF - Eason
    PF - Chet/Paolo/Jabari
    C - Wood

Sengun, Jaygup, Mathews, KJ, Garuba off the bench.

#28 D-rock, May 25, 2022
    Last edited: May 25, 2022
  9. BallaDoc

BallaDoc Member

I thought I was taking crazy pills when I read that and no one else commented on it lol.

was that a joke or did we really have a deal lined up to drop wall? How did Indiana have the salary to pull that off….

BHannes2BHonest and D-rock like this.
  10. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

it’s somewhat comforting 1st: knowing Wall has some value around the league 2nd: that Stone can actually (almost) get a good trade done. I’m confident in his drafting skills, but not so much on the deal making….which is what he prides himself on…and he’ll let u know it. But no show so far on that.

joshuaao, BHannes2BHonest and D-rock like this.
  11. tmoney1101

tmoney1101 Contributing Member

Yeah if I’m the rockets there’s no way I’m not getting another year to evaluate Sengun even if him and Paolo don’t fit that well. There’s always next years draft and even though I think Sengun will be fine he’d presumably be an even more valuable chip at that time.

Moe, burlesk, larry cook and 2 others like this.
  12. D-rock

D-rock Member

Agree.

Plus while it's very likely, it's still not a guarantee, that our pick will be Banchero.

saleem and tmoney1101 like this.
  13. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

I think trade ups are unlikely - i think therefore, the market for trading down is going to be super premium if you're a seller

If the Rockets really want to maximize value and do have the "top 2, not top 3" valuation that the draftniks/ @Clutch have, they'd be crazy not to consider the trade down.

Im not convinced they do have this valuation though, i think there's a lot of unconscious groupthink in these draftboards where they all influence each other

Clutch and conquistador#11 like this.
  14. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Could you elaborate? I’m not following draft speculation talk much, so I have no idea what is meant by “top 2, not top 3” valuation is, nor what you mean by “not convinced they do have this valuation”

15. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

If you follow the draft-preview-industrial complex, via articles, tweets, podcasts from DraftExpress, Ringer, etc, back around March there was a perceived "big 3" with Holmgren-Smith-Banchero at the top more or less interchangeable. Maybe Smith wasn't thought of as a No. 1 since he was the latest "on the scene" of these guys. It wasn't unusual to see people who had Paolo ranked the highest.

By lotto night, that Big 3 became a big 2 of Smith-Holmgren with almost everybody ranking them higher on their boards, in somewhat interchangeable order. You also saw people start to rank Ivey as the 3d best player in some cases. Now you can see articles being written that tend to reinforce Jabari Smith as the obvious 1. But, is that because he looks better, or it's just that people are mocking him to Orlando? Or both. I don't know.

I guess I'm saying I don't know what or how much these public Big Boards affect the internal big boards of teams like the Rockets. Seems like it must have some impact but Big Boards and Mocks don't match the reality after the first few picks(which are gleaned from intelligence - basically asking people - as much as guessing/projecting from the Givony's of the world) becaus some team tosses in a non-consensus pick and the whole sequence gets jumbled.

16. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

I hear you. Just for the record, I think the Rockets take the big that doesn't go in the top 2. If that's Banchero, then that's who it will be. But I do think they are listening to offers for the pick... even for current players.

finsraider and D-rock like this.
  17. TheBeastSystem

Everybody is listening to offers right now.

saleem likes this.
  18. TheBeastSystem

Need a story about possible 2023 lottery draft trades.

burlesk likes this.
  19. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

The Pistons have the edge over our Rockets for the Blazers 7th pick, since they can offer Grant. Wood and Tate are the players that I would give up plus the 17th and possibly even the 2023 Bucks first pick. We have no other choice unless they want EGO. EGO is more of a February deadline trade candidate. I'm willing to take a chance with Duren. Murray will be gone, and AJ Griffin 's injury history worries me. Duran can block shots, rebound, and switch onto the perimeter quickly enough although he needs to get much more consistent there. He has some touch around the basket and an developing turn around jumper along with some intriguing passing skills too. I know he can't shoot 3's. If he did he might go as high as 5 or even 4.

He's a big athletic long 18 year old center with soft hands. There is potential to improve.
    @D-rock @Nook

20. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

How come I'm just hearing about this now. Anyone know what the deal was!?!?!

D-rock and burlesk like this.