1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

ClutchFans 2022 NBA Draft Thread (6/23/2022)

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Jun 22, 2022.

1. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Regardless, this was an impressive feat of subterfuge that’s exceptionally difficult to pull off,

Impressive but also - totally pointless unless you're betting money on it - which would be illegal - or you really like seeing Paolo Banchero surprised face

Seems more like a changed decision at the last second or somehow the GM gets off on emulating Jerry Krause living his wannabe John le Carre fantasies to get rando role players like Will Perdue

ElPigto, BMoney and burlesk like this.
  2. Francis3422

Francis3422 Member

D-rock, sometimes the ******* on Stone is a bit much and I don't think I would be the only amigo on the board that would suggest that. Almost like he stole Felicia from you?

Smith didn't want to work out for anyone but the top 2 because he felt he would go top 2. Frankly, it seems to me like Orlando went as far as to lie to him to conceal their plan.

Stone knocked it out of the park this draft and his body of of work over the last couple years is overwhelmingly positive. Do you really think this man wanted to build around Victor Oladipo? I think it is fair and objective to assume it was going to be an attempt at rebuilding his value for asset. Wood tanked his own value to a certain extent.

We made the absolutely correct move in the Harden trade.
    We have managed to keep our 2020 pick and keep Green. Along with 3 other picks. Guessing at least 2 of the 3 work out.
    Draft last night is exactly what you wanted in a sense to address our defensive issues and stay in tune with how the game is being played.
    We have big cap room next year and Tillman seems to be being kept at bay.

Grading Stone overall since he took over, I would have to give him a B to B+ and I would be hard pressed to hear any argument that would place him below something like a C+. We have rebuilt fairly quickly. I loved and wanted Paolo but this is fine. We are on a very promising path. Stone has also done some things that hopefully can repair or help to repair our image amongst players. Can't hurt among players and agents. Another high pick in 2023 and a few more wins and players will want to come to Houston again.

We are on the right path because of the leadership of Stone.

3. Rockets34Legend

Rockets34Legend Contributing Member

4. Spooner

Spooner Member

5. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

Exactly my immediate thought.

Was it impressive? Who cares?

I can't even begin to imagine the discussions that took place internally in Orlando. "yall... we HAVE to be very hush hush about this!!"

Even in the scenario where Orlando still wasn't sure who they'd pick, then why be hush hush about one guy (Paolo) but not the other.

None of it makes any sense.

6. prodigy08

prodigy08 Clutchfans Lurker

I'm just happy that we don't have "Thin Towers" on our team lol. OKC better put some budget aside for daily buffets.

joshuaao, ArtV, Fulgore and 1 other person like this.
  7. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

If you can't gain weight in OKC, you can't gain weight anywhere. Especially since vegetables were banned there after the 1893 Asparagus Revolt. That team is stacked on paper, though. And I still think they have about 37 picks in the next couple of years.

8. prodigy08

prodigy08 Clutchfans Lurker

Nothing like Houston BBQ! I hope Jalen indulges himself during the offseason to gain some meat lol

D-rock and burlesk like this.
  9. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

ouch

burlesk likes this.
  10. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

The revolt was led by a graceful dancer. You know, green and dances?

Fred As-paragus.

11. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

You should've gone with ....
    Ginger Rogers

BMoney and i3artow i3aller like this.
  12. Scarface281

Scarface281 Contributing Member

yes he did. the clip you quoted was after Paolo made it to Orlando. what did Jabari look like when he made it to Houston? All smiles

13. burlesk

burlesk Serious business
    Supporting Member

Amazing

raining threes likes this.
  14. burlesk

burlesk Serious business
    Supporting Member

Not a good look for them

D-rock and raining threes like this.
  15. burlesk

burlesk Serious business
    Supporting Member

He'll come back in looking like Nets Beard, whaddaya bet

16. SamFisher

I heard a couple of interviews with the Orlando GM including the one he did with Russillio a few hours ago and while he is not saying much about the specifics - it's clear he is savoring the living hell out of having fooled everyone, or at least appearing to have done so.

He claimed they had a zillion zillion meetings so my guess remains that they basically changed their mind at the last minute at one of these in the last few weeks

17. burlesk

burlesk Serious business
    Supporting Member

Agreed, but I for one am confident Jabari is not really that kinda dude. His pride is hurt, and he feels lied to, I think *shrug.

These guys at the top of the draft like to try to throw their weight around however they can to get what they want, seems to be part of how it works, no? Don't think Jabari had anything against Houston itself, but who knows.

D-rock likes this.
  18. burlesk

burlesk Serious business
    Supporting Member

Man, again it just seems like a dumb move to be proud of, a bad look. Reminds me of when my daughter was little, she'd just lie to you about some random trivial thing, then wait a while and yell "tricked you!" all proud, like she couldn't believe we'd be so stupid as to believe her when she told us something lol.

(Fortunately, she grew out of this)

but, sure
    [​IMG]

D-rock and SamFisher like this.
  19. SamFisher

Literally nobody will remember this within a week.

Trust me, I'm the first to admit Houston as a city is not a top tier destination but, lol, Orlando as a city to live in? Or, Auburn, Alabama? Yeah that's not a tough one to beat.

And even franchise wise, while I love to yuk it up at the Fertitta Family Dynasty and their pennywise superyachting scions, the Magic are an Amway product - literally.

People (Paolo, Jabari) will adjust to their new realities and barely even remember being upset.

xiki and burlesk like this.