1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

ClutchFans 2009 NBA Draft Thread (6/25/2009)

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Jun 21, 2009.

1. RedRowdy111

RedRowdy111 Contributing Member

Man, its hard to imagine a team really giving up a Vince Carter, Baron Davis, or Jamal Crawford for Mcgrady at this point. Seems like a pipe dream.

2. RedRowdy111

Can someone post the ESPN mock draft 6.0? It is an insider article. Thanks in advance.

;)

3. D-rock

D-rock Member

Rockets need to beat the Blazers to the punch for once, Morey needs to go and get Hinrich. Capt. Kirk would be the perfect complement to Brooks.

4. worzel gummidge

Bill Ingram the "Rocketguy" is the reason why that site is banned here.

5. Egghead

Egghead Member

1.Blake Griffin

2.Hasheem Thabeet
    3.Ricky Rubio
    4.Tyreke Evans
    5.James Harden
    6.Stephen Curry
    7.Jordan Hill
    8.Brandon Jennings
    9.DeMar DeRozan
    10.Jrue Holiday
    11.Jonny Flynn
    12.Terrence Williams
    13.DeJuan Blair
    14.Gerald Henderson
    15.Earl Clark
    16.James Johnson
    17.Ty Lawson
    18.B.J. Mullens
    19.Jeff Teague
    20.Tyler Hansbrough
    21.Sam Young
    22.Eric Maynor
    23.Austin Daye
    24.DaJuan Summers
    25.Chase Budinger
    26.Toney Douglas
    27.Omri Casspi
    28.Jonas Jerebko
    29.Darren Collison
    30Derrick Brown

6. Asian Sensation

Hinrich would be a great fit in either Portland or Houston. I like the idea of rolling with 3 PG's anyways. Kirk, Brooks and Lowry. We can start Hinrich at the 1 and play Brooks as a combo guard which he really is. Let Brooks split time at the 1 and 2 and let Lowry be the main backup PG. Hinrich can also play the 2 at times as well so we can definitely have a backcourt of Brooks/Hinrich on the floor at the same time. We had a lot of success going small with the Brooks and Lowry combo on the floor at the same time. I think if we do go small Hinrich and Brooks combo can be even more effective as Hinrich is a pretty good shooter as well in addition to the other things Lowry does well. He's also pretty gritty and team oriented as well. I can see him fitting in very well here. Hence a reason why Portland is after him.

7. D-rock

D-rock Member

Yep, thanks for expanding on that thought. :D

8. Raven

Raven Member

I thought Chase Budinger was slated to go a lot higher than that? Did he have some poor workouts?

9. Egghead

Egghead Member

He would have been picked earlier if he came out for the 2008 Nba Draft... He didn't really improve his game during his junior year..

10. rocketblaze

rocketblaze Member

the blazers already have all the talent in the world, there only weakness was the poing guard...... :( blazers are gonna own the league for the next decade.

11. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

I don't follow college basketball, so what is Budinger's weakness? He seems to be a shooter with great athleticism and size. What's the downside that keeps him out of the lottery, for example?

12. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

Apparently he is a Novak-clone. He can shoot it, and that. is. it. Shies away from contact, too. Apparently.

13. BetterThanEver

BetterThanEver Contributing Member

They can't even own the 1st round. Usually, talented young teams look powerful, but they really aren't good enough to keep up with veteran teams like the Spurs, Lakers, or Pistons. They get sent home like the Blazers and Hawks.

14. RedRowdy111

....and Rockets (didnt the Hawks make it to the 2nd round this year?)

15. Egghead

Egghead Member

Novak clone... are you serious... Budinger is one of the most athletic players in the draft...

According to DraftExpress ...

STRENGTHS:
    - Transition play
    - Basketball IQ
    - Experience
    - Fundamentals
    - Role-player potential
    - Unselfishness
    - Solid passer
    - Ability to finish around basket
    - Explosiveness
    - Size for position
    - 3-point shooting percentages
    - Ability to catch and shoot
    - Free throw shooting

WEAKNESSES:
    - Go-to scoring mentality
    - Mid-range game
    - Ability to create own shot
    - Ball-handling skills
    - Ability to defend position at next level?
    - Lateral quickness
    - Leadership skills
    - Not always assertive
    - Physical Toughness
    - Ability to finish through contact
    - Ability to shoot off the dribble

I think that some of his strengths are something you can teach or work on like...Unselfishness, Basketball IQ and Experience. His weakness are things that can be worked on and possibly get better at them. I think Budinger would flourish under Adelman's offense

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/k06pR7cAdXI&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/k06pR7cAdXI&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/XDYfcxFqlWs&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/XDYfcxFqlWs&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

16. Egghead

Egghead Member

I think that some of his strengths are something you cant teach or work on like...Unselfishness, Basketball IQ and Experience. His weaknesses are things that can be worked on and possibly get better at them. I think Budinger would flourish under Adelman's offense

Fixed

17. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

Maybe he's the 2nd coming, I don't know. I am not an NCAA MBB fan. I saw him play exactly once, and was not impressed. I have heard, however, that he is scared of contact and has one NBA asset - his shot. I am told he will washout. That is what I have heard. Maybe you know better and/or have better info. Maybe not? :confused:

18. thumbs

thumbs Contributing Member

He is not the second coming. His principal shortcoming -- and it will hurt him in the NBA -- is poor lateral footspeed. He has the hops and range, and in the few games I saw him play Budinger did not appear to be afraid of contact.

I wouldn't be totally disappointed in acquiring him, but I'd rather have DeMar DeRozan or even Tyreke Evans.

19. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

I would love to see this:

Rockets Trade:
    Carl Landry
    Aaron Brooks

Knicks Trade:
    David Lee (Sign and Trade)
    Danilio Galanardi (sp?)
    #8 Pick

I doubt the Knicks would do this, but it does give them two young, good players with very cheap contracts.

For us, it gives us another Morey-type Power Forward, and a pretty decent, young small forward. Plus, we get a nice pick, that could hopefully, in my opinion, net us Jonny Flynn.

20. J.R.

J.R. Member

That's NBA Live or NBA 2k9 dreaming! But not a bad proposal.