1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

ClutchFans 2009 NBA Draft Thread (6/25/2009)

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Jun 21, 2009.

1. worzel gummidge

2. Tsquare

Tsquare Member

yeah i just stated that a minute ago that he would wear goggles for the rest of his career. his still has another eye so he's good! ;) But seriously, if he's too much of a risk then why would someone want to take any even bigger one and draft someone like Rubio? I want Rubi boy on the team too (if he really is as good as everyone is saying) like almost everyone here says but he isn't NBA proven. People question Rubio's toughness. Would you want a guy that just ends up folding and being a complete bust in the league once he gets punked my some other guy in the NBA? I surely wouldn't... Atleast Amare is a proven NBA player and that's at the LEAST.

3. Tsquare

Tsquare Member

He answers you question for you:

4. roslolian

roslolian Member

Elite players play both sides. Amare only plays offense, still sucks at defense despite being in the league for 5 years now. He can't even play with a legit low post presence like Shaq! Amare won't do anything on the Rockets that Scola can't. What Scola can give you though is the flexibility to sign an all star guard, and that's something Amare won't be able to do.

5. BasketballReasons

BasketballReasons Contributing Member

Yeah I think he's a sleeper. Nice footwork, takes it to the rack, can shoot the 3, shows up in big games, is used to pressure, has a bad ass name. He reminds me of Tmac a bit. But most importantly, he has all the tools to develop into a good player.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/OIobO8-IgzY&hl=fr&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/OIobO8-IgzY&hl=fr&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

6. worzel gummidge

He only said that he can be healthy again, not prove that he is. Until he shows it on the court the question mark remains.

7. thacabbage

thacabbage Contributing Member

I just want to point out how erroneous this statement is. I don't know how exactly it made its way into conventional wisdom, but I am guessing it has something to do with the decline in his stats last season. Look at his numbers during the second half of the 2008 season after the Shaq trade - he led the league or nearly led the league in scoring if I'm not mistaken at almost 30ppg. Again, this was with Shaq. Now certainly, an increased role for Shaq last season most likely contributed to Amare's statistical decline, and you could also argue that Steve Nash's presence more greatly impacted his late season 2008 flourish than any other factor that could be reproduced on a different team, but the point here is that the evidence shows us that playing next to a legit post presence doesn't necessarily preclude Amare's peak production.

There would be many concerns regarding acquiring Amare Stoudemire, but coexistence with Yao should not be one of them, in my opinion.

8. Tsquare

Tsquare Member

Both Amare and Shaq made the All-Star team together this year. Stop saying Amare can't play with Shaq when you have nothing to back it up. Amare was still effective with and put up good numbers (21pts/8rebs) while playing next to him. People wanna blame Amare for the reason why the Suns aren't gelling but Shaq should've never been there on a fast-pace team like the Suns.

What all-star guard do you have in mind? Kevin Martin? HAAAAA :eek: He hasn't even made one all-star game yet and the Kings aren't trading him too. Stop kidding yourself... Anyway, why get "all-star" guard when you can have a REAL all-star PF. We could use Amare esp. with the way Yao plays. Not saying Yao sucks but saying they would be a good combo; finese all-star center and dominating all-star pf. What happens if Yao goes on a cold streak and misses his hookshots or turn-around fadeaways? What happens is our offense goes down the drain. With Amare here you would have a strong and imposing PF that attacks the basket and gets easy, high percent buckets. Just ask someone how knows something about basketball like Clutch or Jonathan Feigen. Feigen said before on his blog that getting Amare would be BIG and why you think Clutch would put the Suns and Amare as the #1 team to plunder in trades?

Dude just shut up now and stop posting completely. I'll explain what Scola can't do that Amare can since you are too stupid to realize. Scola is great for us but when he goes up against taller, longer, more athletic players he has a real hard time. Just look at the Lakers series when he played against Gasol and Odom for instance. Scola got his shots and layups block sooo many times. Amare would be ideal in those situations. Where Scola gets blocked Amare gets a dunk or a and1. He explodes to the rim like few big man today and demands respect cause if you don't, you get posterized. Look at how Landry was successful against the Lakers. He used his power and explosiveness to get to the rim and get easy buckets for us. Amare would do that and do it on a whole other level.

People who would like what Shaq could bring to the team should like what Amare could bring to the team even more cause he is like a smaller and younger version of him basically. He definitely plays like it... But I shouldn't have to explain this to anyone who knows something about basketball. You obviously don't. I don't wanna agrue with you about this anymore cause you are blind and will never see the light. You just talk but never say anything. JUST SHUT UP PLZ!

9. Tsquare

Tsquare Member

dude don't brother explaining it to him. he'll never learn. He just wants some flashy "all-star" guard like Martin. :rolleyes:

10. Tsquare

Tsquare Member

BTW, I didn't even mention the problem we have with Yao being fronted. We all know(besides roslolian and asian sensation) what happens to our offense when a team decides to front yao. This is another reason why having Amare would benefit our team. And I don't wanna even hear about his defense being a weakness when we are starting Aaron Brooks. :rolleyes:

11. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

I feel that Amare can do a lot of things that we need,like a solid mid range game,an ability to run the floor and be a scoring option who overcome the fronting problems that we face. I do have concerns about him as well,chemistry disruption is the main thing.It is no secret that he was very unhappy at not getting more touches throughout the year.He couldn't accept Shaq's presence.

Things improved somewhat after Gentry took over and resumed the run and gun style but not entirely as they made a last ditch effort to make it to the playoffs.

Yao can be a trailer which can help,but Aaron is a scorer and Lowry is not starting PG material. Amare could be very unhappy without Nash. Yao has improved greatly as a defender but obviously needs help on that end,Amare has shown no interest there apart from the occasional blocked shot. He is also a subpar rebounder.
    His sense of entitlement is what bothers me the most. I don't expect him to be the Amare prior to his knee injury,but I hope he will get healthy and play with a positive frame of mind.

12. Tsquare

Tsquare Member

everyone questions his defense but look at the Suns roster than tell the a guy that really plays defense on their team. No one on their team plays D! That's not what they do. They are a team that trys to out score you, not lock you down. If we get Amare I truely think that under our defense-first philosophy, we would see his potential as a defensive PF too.

13. J.R.

J.R. Member

I was for aquiring Amar'e but until I found out he could opt out after this year, which he will likely do no matter where he goes, I'm not sure I'd still be interested. It probably isnt worth giving up what we have give up(McGrady and 2 fillers, perhaps Brooks and Landry or Lowry and Landry?) to get him for a one year rental.

1 person likes this.
  14. saleem

Perhaps,but I don't see him being happy playing with us.

15. W22_STREAK

W22_STREAK Member

amare will be AWESOME under Adelman. hes gonna be our chris webber.

question is how can we get him AND Steve Nash. haha lol I guess I can fantasise a little

16. saleem

I wouldn't have a problem if it were McGrady,Landry and Brooks but he certainly could be a one year rental as you put it. If he recovers from his retinal injury,Kerr will be in a better position to get more than what DM can offer him as well.

17. J.R.

J.R. Member

Yeah that is true. I'm still open to the idea, but hesitant. If such a deal were to happen, I'm sure we'd be getting another piece back in return, maybe like a Barbosa.

18. BasketballReasons

BasketballReasons Contributing Member

No to Amare, he would b**** about not being the first option

19. Tsquare

Tsquare Member

that would be suicide if he did cause it he's conrtact year. that's like when people said NO to artest cause he would be trouble everywhere he goes.

20. saleem

I have my doubts about him being a good fit, but I would be willing to take a gamble if he is healthy and wants to come to Houston without us busting the bank.His sense of entitlement along with the above concerns, makes it an improbable proposition.

#80 saleem, Jun 22, 2009
    Last edited: Jun 22, 2009