1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[clutchcity] The reason we exist

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by tinman, Jul 31, 2007.

1. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I'm furious that one post mentioned that this site wouldn't exist because of a certain poster. he needs to chickedy-checkhimself before he wreckshimself. I have no idea how many people read this or just know about it. I just have a feeling not many new members know about it. so i'm posting the genesis chapter of this place we are at. let them know who built this place.
    hate on me all you want. but don't disrespect this site and CLUTCH.

http://www.clutchfans.net/about.cfm

[​IMG]

Friday, October 31, 2003
    It's About The Fans

In the summer of 1996, while working an engineering internship in Boston, MA, I jokingly hacked in to my girlfriend's college internet account, just for the fun of it and to learn a little bit about putting pages on the web.

I never imagined what would come of it.

I created a site under the name "Clutch" (see: Who Is Clutch?) and started writing my thoughts about my top obsession: The Houston Rockets. I called the site "Clutch City '97". I would write goofy features like "Super Mario's World", recap every single game and post articles from news outlets across the country.

Fans came flooding in, the site built up news credibility and the rest is pretty much history. While the site has gone by a variety of names, including "ClutchCity" (See: Why The Name Change?), over the past 7+ years it has not only been your Houston Rockets Fan Information Source, but the best NBA team fan site on the internet. Period.

What makes the site so special is it is fueled entirely by passion. No money exchanged, no bosses to impress, no asses kissed -- simply diehard and loyal Rockets fans giving the honest dish and coming together to form one of the largest sports communities on the web.

And that's exactly what this site is about: The fans.

What will you find on the site? Just about everything a growing Rocket fan needs. Headlines, news stories, original game recaps, box scores dating back to 1991, stats dating back to the San Diego Rockets, full opponent histories, player profiles for every single Rocket in history, in-depth draft and summer league coverage and a legendary BBS forum with about enough Houston fans to fill the Toyota Center.

While demands on my time have grown exponentially, making it more difficult to maintain the site, the traffic on the site has grown at an even greater rate. The site is spitting out hundreds of gigs of transfer a month. What does that mean? It means while the site is an expensive monster, and gives off a professional feel, it's still a single fan trying to balance it all with help from other fans. It's not sponsored nor affiliated with the NBA or the Rockets in any way. It's paid for by me and the fans who choose to contribute to keep ClutchFans going.

If you choose to help out, that is extremely well appreciated. If not, that's OK too. The goal is to keep the site as free as possible for all Rocket fans.

So enjoy. If you find an error, have a suggestion or you just want to tell me what you think about the site, I'd love to hear from you.

Thanks for continuing to make the site the best online place for Rocket fans, and as always, stay clutch.

- Clutch

2. The_Yoyo

The_Yoyo Contributing Member

tinman you after r2k are the poster of the year imo!

3. CharlieMurphy

CharlieMurphy Contributing Member

CLUTCHCITY FANS UNITE!

4. rocketman84

rocketman84 Member

dude, i love this site, and i definately appreciate clutch. I check up on this site like twice daily. That said, your acting a little crazy. Someone said something about pruyen( a statement that was obviously sarcastic) and now you've lost your marbles. Clutch rules, we know. You need to chill out dude..

5. Lynus302

Lynus302 Contributing Member

Tinman, you are my hero. And I'm only being mildly sarcastic. I love your passion, man.

Fight the good fight!

EDIT:
    The mere fact that he gets fired up enough to "lose his marbles" is exactly why I appreciate the guy.

6. Mehdi

Mehdi Rookie

amen brother

7. tinman

Supporting Member

thanks man.
    when people insult our history and our website it turns me into a MAD MAX MODE!!
    [​IMG]

To the new fans, its not OK to insult Larry Smith, its not OK to disrespect Ralph Sampson, its not OK to say that One player is above the team, its not OK to say that one member is the best.

for those who are bringing down our site, may you be greeted in the burning flames of your afterlife by Gary Payton, Sam Perkins, Karl Malone, and Mark Cuban.

8. tinman

Supporting Member

people in china don't know CLUTCH!! Hell they think its what you step on when you want to change gears. You think they know?!

9. WhoMikeJames

WhoMikeJames Contributing Member

Someone put some of that in the Wikipedia Article.

10. tinman

Supporting Member

anyone who disrespects this site should be banned like a Taiwanese Spy in Shanghai.

11. rocketman84

rocketman84 Member

alright im down. PRAISE CLUTCH! ban the infidels!

12. tinman

Supporting Member

this site was created by the old school. never forget that !

C L U T C H L I F E

<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/KB7cV3oJQFc"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/KB7cV3oJQFc" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

13. matty101

matty101 Member

To be honest i admit that i dont know very much about "clutch" and "clutchcity" however i know a little bit and i know the die hard fans live and breath off it. In saying that though i am also a die hard fan just from a different era. I am from Australia and have only been following the rockets for 4 years now. I started following them only because i had no idea about the NBA until i bought NBA 2000 on PC. I was 12 years old and didnt know any of the teams so i chose the team whos logo i liked best. That was the rockets. :D

So to posters such as tinman, i respect what you have to say about fans who arent "real" fans. I also agree with it and at times i get crazy mad when people start suggesting stupid things and change their opinions based on one game. i.e Tmac scores 12 points on 4 of 19 shooting so they say Tmac sucks, he's to old, he's a ball hog, he's never made it out of the first round, he isnt good in the clutch. etc. Then the next day Tmac explodes for 40 points and 8 assists and all of a sudden he is the best thing since slice bread.

I know i have been blabbing on here so ill stop now. I just wanted to let you know tinman and other posters with similar views that i to have the same feelings about other issues as you do about "clutchcity"

Matty

14. CHI

CHI Contributing Member

thanks clutch!

15. baller4life315

baller4life315 Contributing Member

I've been rather busy lately and unable to spend as much time on here as I normally do so may I ask what sparked this outburst?

16. rimrocker

rimrocker Contributing Member

Preach on Brother Tinman!

Not only are we going to Argentina, Clutch, we're going to China and Memphis and Golden State and Utah and Denver, and we're going to Los Angeles and Sacramento and New Orleans… And we're going to Dallas and San Antonio and Phoenix, and then we're going to Boston or Cleveland to take back our trophy! YEEEEEARGGGGGH!

[​IMG]

17. tinman

Supporting Member

Keep Representing the HEROES MATE!
    [​IMG]

18. geeimsobored

geeimsobored Contributing Member

This is exactly why we all love Tinman. The incredible reactions that inevitably lead him to channel the spirits of Rockets greats from Vernon Maxwell to Richard Petruska to Tim Breaux etc.. etc..

Keep it up...

19. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

These last few days the board has been sort of weird. Didn't know Pryuen was causing so much controversy (which I doubt he is intending to do).

Oh well, I'm just a lurker although I do post now and then, but heck I will never forget the roots of the Rockets and I'm thankful for this website, because the fans have been able to keep it alive along with Clutch and Jeff's excellent work.

20. tinman

Supporting Member

that's right rimrocker,
    we're taking this site back from these fake Rocket fans like the IRS taking our taxes!

this site is for Rocket fans! Rocket fans don't hate on Larry Smith!