1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

ClutchCity.Net Summer Pro League Report : Game 4 - Rockets 79, Nuggets 90

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Dr of Dunk, Jul 17, 2003.

1. speedball

speedball Contributing Member

You mean DRAFTING him? Look, Boki is not going to lead the team--we don't need him to lead the team. when he gets some serious minutes WITH THE STARTERS we can do a much bettter job of "evaluating" his talent.

everybody knows that basketball is a game of flow. it's like when you need one more assist for a triple double and you start trying to force it, it never happens.

right now, it sounds like Boki is trying to force his game. i just hope he gets a chance to play with the first team at some point since he is our "number one draft pick for this year" btw, did anyone tell JVG this?

Dr. of Dunk, thanks for the game action reports! they are greatly appreciated.

2. zoork34

zoork34 Contributing Member

chocolate missles are the greatest

3. RCKTBachar

RCKTBachar Member

Originally posted by RIET [/i]
    He's also playing against a bunch of knuckleheads.

Agreed, thats the main reason for concern.

4. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

I'm saying that hoping that we get some veteran help on the team. I'd like for Badiane to make it, but I'd rather have somebody that can contribute immediately with 20 mpg and/or knock some of the young players upside the head when they get out of line.

5. MLC1MGC2ALC3

MLC1MGC2ALC3 Member

Mr. Dr. of Dunk,
    It seems to me that there will be 2 postions open at the start of training camp. Are there any players on other Summer League teams that have impressed you that may be cut after the summer games are over? Of the 2 postions that are open who will make the final cut?
    THANKS

6. Pipe

Pipe Contributing Member

I agree, I'd rather have a vet taking that fifth big man spot. But, if we carry 14 or 15, the Bad Man sounds like he would be an EXCELLENT practice player. Maybe all of his hustle would embarrass some of the other players *cough EG and MoT* into kicking it up a notch.

7. DearRock

DearRock Contributing Member

1. Ming
    2. Eg
    3. Posey
    4. Wink
    5. Mobes
    6. Cato
    7. MoT
    8. Rice
    9. Hawk
    10. Moochie
    11. Boki
    12. A guard for depth
    13. Player to hit EG and Co upside the head
    14. BAD.

With that coaching staff who needs a player to bang another player. I can see that need with Rudy T.

DoD, with quite a few people scoring in double figures, did you get the sense that they were deliberately speading the action as oppose the Warriors who seem to be focusing on two: Welch and Mike Dun.?

8. DearRock

9. jgreen91

jgreen91 Member

Can someone dig up some stats on these players we have on Summer squad, maybe the stats for the ones that have played in the NBA before so some of us can get an idea about them. I have heard a few of their names but am sure they were all end of the bench guys so never payed much attention to them. Thanks!:D

10. TIburon

TIburon Member

I wouldn't be surprised to see Shawnelle Scott make the team for that 3rd big man...

If we don't add any vets. though I believe we will add at least 1 or 2...

1Ming
    2EG
    3Franchise
    4Cat
    5Moochie
    6Boki
    7Rice
    8Hawkins
    9Cato
    10Posey
    11a vet. player
    12a vet. player
    13a big man(Scott)
    14possibly another combo guard/PG

I just don't think adding Badiane right now is the best decision... Before I was thinking he had a chance but he's needs more experience in just playing the game...

Also business wise, if you sign him now to lets say a 2-3 year deal... It will take him that long to develop him into a NBA player(like some HS players-ex. Jermaine O'Neal-took him 4-5 years to become the star he is now)... Why sign him now and not let him keep playing? Also if we have the rights for him for what 2-3 seasons bring him in later... Remember we sign him 2-3 seasons and he may move on to another team right when he's getting good... Instead we bring him in a year or 2 and he could be able to help immediately as compared to now(and you can sign him to a good deal not a huge deal ala Cato)...

Just my opinion... I do love what I hear about his hustle...

11. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

The people that have impressed me the most on the summer league roster to this point have been

Jason Miskiri
    Malick Badiane

To a lesser extent the following have also played well :

Brent Wright
    Demarco Johnson
    Shawnelle Scott

The most disappointing to this point :

Tito Maddox
    Bostjan Nachbar

As for who will make the final cut - I don't know. :)

12. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Very good point.

I think we are running more of an offense than other teams. We're attempting to work more as a team. This game was a bit different because Boki was initially looking to score or be a focal point and have the offense run through him to an extent. I don't know if that was something he took upon himself or if the coaches mandated it.

All the guys on our team seem unselfish and willing to pass, so there are no ball hogs. But keep in mind, we also don't have the talent top-to-bottom (or potential talent I guess) that some of these other teams have. Some of these teams like the Lakers have several first rounders and lottery and near-lottery picks. We have Bostjan.

13. DearRock

Buron, I guess you can go either way on this and I have said my reasons so many times I am not going to go into them again. However, we need to be very careful about rushing to judgement about a player many know nothing about.

Having seen him play I believe that the Mavs seriously considered drafting him in the first round. I would also guess that at this point he is ahead of everybody's original thinking in the organization. The original thinking of him needing to go to Europe may be outdated or may be outdated by the time training camp comes around. The point is given the progress he has made over the past, lets say, eight weeks there is no telling where he will be in the next eight weeks. In fact this guy may even be ahead of Diop in many respects. BAD is not as good a shot blocker at this point. I know as a first rounder nobody will send Diop to Europe now and similarly we should not send BAD to Europe just because he is a second rounder.

14. DearRock

Thanks DoD.

Having seen Tskitishivili, do you think he would have been better off if Denver had let him stay in Europe for the year instead spending it here just taking in whatever he can?

15. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Can't really comment on Skita since I didn't watch him play much last year, but he definitely has a jumpshot that he was hitting, but he had problems battling Badiane down low. For that matter Badiane had problems establishing position against him at times down low. But like I said, Skita definitely looked bigger than Badiane - at least 10-15 lbs. bigger.

Someone else brought up an interesting statement about sending Badiane back overseas. Is he going to get better training overseas than banging with NBA players here, being with one of the better coaching staffs in the league, going up against Yao and EG in practice, and having a guy like Patrick Ewing taking him under his wing?

By the way, one thing I'm noticing during and before games is that people are always encouraging Badiane. Various players are patting him on the back, almost all the assistant coaches pull him aside every now and then and talk to him about moves, positioning, etc., and Patrick is ALWAYS sitting next to him and talking to him. That alone tells me they seem to really like this kid.

16. DearRock

It is that investment of resources that encourages me despite Feigan's failure, to date, to zero in on this guy.

17. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Talk is that Skita bulked up to 240 lbs. He was around 220 last year. Seems like the 20 lbs of muscle he added is making a difference. Sure wish Griffin could do the same!

18. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

thx for the recaps, Dr of Dunk. much needed and appreciated!

i like this quote...

hmmm...is Sam still trying to peddle his 19 bags of mar1juana?

"Let's go into the back, so I can show you what I got."

19. iOrange

iOrange Contributing Member

Nice, the Bad sure will bring good chemistry into the team. looks to me that Boki is a Franchise-player-mental guy. i wish he could develop his skill to match his mind.

20. ricealum

ricealum Contributing Member

Dr of Dunk: "The people that have impressed me to a lesser extent:
    Brent Wright
    Demarco Johnson
    Shawnelle Scott"

Is that the same Shawnelle Scott we tried to sign as a FA a few years back? I seem to recall we needed a banger and he fit the bill, but Denver had right of refusal and matched out offer (?)

I don't know the others, but Scott was big IIRC and could make the team, providing the kind of power game Griffin and Taylor can't.