1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    The NBA Draft is here! Come join Clutch in the ClutchFans Room Wednesday night at 6:30pm CT as we host the live online NBA Draft Watch Party. Who will the Rockets select at #3?

NBA Draft - LIVE!

ClutchCity.net Game Thread: Sonics @ Rockets 11/5/2002

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Nov 4, 2002.

1. JLB

JLB Member

Who said that he would have 16/10???

They should at least give him 6-8 shots if only for the fans noise factor.

JLB

2. gotoloveit2

gotoloveit2 Contributing Member

Win or lose. If our guards pass the ball around more, it'll be a good start.

3. Codman

Codman Contributing Member

I think that the Rockets do have a good chance of winning this game, but defense will be crucial. Brent Barry could crush us from beyone the arc if someone on the Rockets doesn't put a hand in his face. Desmond Mason is also a potential "Rocket Killer". Gary Payton will have his hands full with Franchise. Cato will play well against all of Seattle's mediocre centers(Kelvin is a lil above mediocre lol.)
    I see the Rockets winning this game late in the fourth with a dagger three coming from Mobley.

Cod

4. jlaw

jlaw Member

Who are the big guys in Sonic? If there aren't any good ones, I think our big guys will make the crucial difference.

5. ron413

ron413 Contributing Member

The Sonics like to penetrate with Payton and dish the ball out for 3-pointers from Brent Barry, Shard Lewis, etc... They also like to drive in for lay-ups more than normal so the Rockets need to play Big and swat that nonsense away and set the tone early.

I won't even touch the offensive strategy except to say that passing the rock is a good thing.

6. Yetti

Yetti Contributing Member

Following a natural progression for Yao Ming we can expect 10-12 pts and8-10rbs, but only if he gets 20-25mins playing time! He must of course get passes from all of the Guards, as should everyone else. I am worried that this game might be the one that realy illustrates the Point Guard problem,it could be a cause of players loosing interest in the game and having sub par performances.Let us hope that with Rice and KT back on the court an increase in the assists might happen in this game and and enjoyable game will be watched by millions.
    Dont be surprised if Griffin comes to play his game!

7. RNuss02

RNuss02 Member

Stevie loves going up against the Glove. As a matter of fact, Steve seemed to exploit Payton every time the two teams played. I think Franchise will have another great game!

8. Yao1134

Yao1134 Member

if cato gets in foul trouble yao should have some good mimutes there is a possibility yao could go for 16 n 10 i dont recall any good centers playing for seattle

9. ron413

ron413 Contributing Member

SONICS SCHEDULE 2002-03

Date Opponent Box Score W-L
    Preseason results:
    Oct 6 Sun Utah Preseason L 89-82 0-1
    Oct 8 Tue Golden State Preseason L 84-75 0-2
    Oct 11 Fri @ L.A. Clippers Preseason L 119-116(OT) 0-3
    Oct 14 Mon Memphis Preseason W 88-78 1-3
    Oct 16 Wed @ Portland Preseason L 110-98 1-4
    Oct 19 Sat Denver Preseason W 79-73 2-4
    Oct 20 Sun Sacramento Preseason L 91-90 2-5
    Oct 22 Tue Phoenix Preseason W 102-79 3-5
    Regular Season results as of 11/4/02:
    Oct 30 Wed Phoenix W 86-73 1-0
    Nov 1 Fri @ Golden State W 106-93 2-0
    Nov 3 Sun Utah W 91-77 3-0

*Anyone notice a similarity so far in the Sonics schedule?

10. HeyDude

HeyDude Contributing Member

I think the key matchup might be Hawkins vs. Lewis and Mason. If he can slow down the small forwards, we can win. Because our advantage in this game is our big guys, KT, Eddie, and Yao. Their advantage is the Lewis and Mason. The backcourt is even. So we have to cut down their advantage. And they will try to cut down ours by slowing KT and Eddie.

If healthy, i would look for a big game from KT.:cool:

11. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

Exactly what I was thinking. Franchise/Payton/Mobley/Barry might be a wash (their guard tandem passes better) but Rashard looked pretty good the other night against...well, OK, it was against the Warriors, but he was playing well.

If Hawkins can take Lewis down a notch or two, we'll be JUUUUST fine.

12. The Real Shady

The Real Shady Contributing Member

A good way to get Lewis out of the game would be to run some plays for KT early. KT has the type of game that can draw some fouls against Lewis.

13. windandsea

windandsea Contributing Member

[​IMG]

The person from Sonics told the head coach of Shanghai Sharks, "Please give Yao Ming to us. We have prepared a team with eight people to train Yao Ming and will make him the next biggest thing in NBA."

From a report at March this year at Shanghai.

14. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Well hopefully, windandsea, Yao will show them what they're missing. Were you pleased with his play against Toronto? He's coming along very well, in my opinion. The team will be looking at film of that game and you can bet that they'll see the times Yao was open and should have got the ball. The season is 82 games long... plus the playoffs. I'm still surprised by your post recently. Don't be discouraged this early. I've heard that patience is a virtue. (I don't have much myself! ;))

15. pasox2

pasox2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Now is the time for easy baskets inside. I hope they dump it in low over and over and over. Steve and Cat can play garbage man and still get 40 from outside and on drives. Hope to see the block party in force inside, with Hawk working outside. I'd like to see KT get a strip on shard, too. He holds the ball low.

16. ricerocket

ricerocket Member

Seattle is going down... EG is going to have a block party...

17. RocketFan85

RocketFan85 Member

I think we can win this game, I think Francis is on par with Payton and Mobley and hang with Barry. Cato can play with any big man on there team and Yao should be able to atleast score a few times. I think Lewis and Mason will give us a hard time but with the way we been playing defense I have faith that we will pull off a close one 85-82.

18. Desert Scar

Desert Scar Contributing Member

Seattle is quite the donut team now. They have nobody on the inside worthy of a double team.

I think the key will be offensive production from Ming, EG & KT. This could really be a breakout game for KT. The Sonics wing players are too short (Mason) or too weak (Lewis) to match-up.
    Mo would have really been handy to have also.

I would rather not see this game develop into a bombs away and hustle contest between Barry, Payton and Lewis (with Mason and there big guys crashing) versus SF, Cat, EG, Moochi & Hawkins. That is the kind of game that would favor the Sonics.

If we keep the game defensive and get a little inside presence on offense--then I favor us.

19. Samurai Jack

Samurai Jack Contributing Member

Anyone here know of a Sonic's message board ....

I's love to see what their fans are saying about the upcoming game.

20. francis 4 prez

francis 4 prez Contributing Member

man it's nice having cato stepping up right now while yao adjusts. i mean when either is on the court i actually feel pretty good and if one gets in foul trouble the other can come in and help just as effectively. depth sure is fun. i'm always surprised at how many big games steve has had against payton and if there was ever another time he was primed for one it would be now with the way he's playing. hopefully the offense looks very similar to what we ran against toronto. i wanna say we'll win but i ain't jinxing it. oh and i also predict i'll get to hear the other teams announcers again on league pass. when the hell do we get bill and calvin. i thought we'd definitely get them for our home game, but no. of course the other announcers have been good so it wasn't that horrible but no one has bill and calvin's rapport.