1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

ClutchCity.net Game Thread: Rockets @ Sonics 10/8/2003 (PRESEASON)

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Oct 8, 2003.

1. CRC

CRC Member

Here is an article from Seattle Times:

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/sports/2001761902_soni09.html

Sonics
    Lewis' 35 points lead Sonics to exhibition win

By Percy Allen
    Seattle Times staff reporter

Unburdened by contract negotiations and a bothersome left shoulder, Sonics forward Rashard Lewis was able to concentrate solely on improving his physique and skills this summer.

The evidence of his commitment in the weight room could be seen when he arrived to training camp buffed, beefed up and bullish.

The proof Lewis is ready to lead the Sonics was on display last night when he connected on his first eight shot attempts and led Seattle to a 98-78 victory over Houston in the exhibition opener at KeyArena.

In a game absent of the Rockets' top six players, including All-Stars Steve Francis and Yao Ming, Lewis tallied 35 points on 13-of-15 shooting, four rebounds and two assists in 28 minutes.

He worked effortlessly within the framework of the Sonics' new offense, which converted 41.3 percent of its field goals, scored 12 fast-break points and finished with 22 assists while committing 13 turnovers.

"I thought we looked OK with the style of game that we're trying to run," Lewis said. "Everybody came in and gave their little piece."

Obviously, Lewis provided the largest piece. He went to work early, torching Houston on dribble-drive penetration, short jumpers and three-pointers.

But he saved his best for the second half.

Late in the third quarter, Lewis raced past the Rockets, and point guard Brent Barry connected with the high-flying small forward for a thunderous alley-oop dunk.

On the next possession, Barry led another fast break and whipped a no-look pass to guard Ray Allen, who dished to Lewis before he feathered the ball into the basket despite being fouled from behind.

The show-stopper, however, arrived minutes later.

Again Barry and Lewis were the co-conspirators. This time the point guard lofted a pass to the side of the rim and Lewis flushed the ball, yelled and slapped the glass board before coming down.

It was a dominating performance, perhaps announcing Lewis' bid to claim a spot on the Western Conference All-Star team.

And it was needed on a night when guard Ray Allen shot 1 for 8 from the field and finished with nine points and six assists.

"He played within the flow of the game," coach Nate McMillan said of Lewis. "I tried to call four or five plays for him but we went other places with the ball. Most of his points came off broken plays and just taking what the defense gave him."

Other than Lewis, McMillan didn't learn much about his team.

Barry (12 points, five rebounds and five assists) was poised at the point, but he didn't have to face Francis. The reserves were solid but unspectacular as none scored more than Ronald Murray's eight points.

And the Sonics aren't closer to filling their two vacant spots in the starting lineup.

Vladimir Radmanovic started at power forward but finished with just eight points and one rebound. His chief competitor, Reggie Evans, had seven points and four rebounds.

Also discouraging was center Jerome James' effort.

He was called for three fouls in his first 4 minutes, 35 seconds on the court and was unable to provide the Sonics with a physical presence in the middle. It took him a little more than a minute of court time after that to pick up foul No. 4.

And with 7:28 remaining in the third quarter, the Sonics' center drew a fifth foul ¡X this time offensive ¡X while attempting to back down Houston center Kelvin Cato. Three minutes later, he was disqualified after collecting his sixth foul and going scoreless in 12 minutes.

"This is the time for him to work on it," McMillan said. "He'll get his time out there on the floor as long as he can stay. ... He has to learn how to play that position and stay out of foul trouble."

2. CRC

CRC Member

Another one:

http://www.heraldnet.com/Stories/03/10/9/17596507.cfm

Lewis leads Sonics by Rockets in preseason opener

By Rich Myhre
    Herald Writer

SEATTLE - It may only be the preseason, but still the hometown Houston Rockets seem to bring out the best in Rashard Lewis.

Lewis, who was snubbed by the Rockets on draft day of 1998, poured in 35 points in 28 minutes to lead the Seattle SuperSonics to a lopsided 98-78 exhibition win Wednesday at KeyArena. The sixth-year forward was a sizzling 13-for-15 from the field, including 8-for-8 to start the game. He did not miss a shot until early in the third quarter.

"I took good shots and I was able to knock them down," said Lewis, who grew up in the Houston area and still makes his offseason home there. "And once I made my first couple of shots, I was real confident."

"He was just smooth tonight," said Seattle coach Nate McMillan. "We didn't really run any plays for him. His shots came in the rhythm of the game and that is what we want to do. Tonight he allowed the game to come to him and ... it was good."

Wednesday's game, McMillan went on, is further evidence of a growing maturity in Lewis this season.

"I see it in the way he carries himself," McMillan said, "and in the way he goes about his business. His approach to the offseason. I've seen that maturity in him from the beginning of this last summer, and tonight he came out and played a solid game in his quiet way. And he was very effective."

While Lewis was superb, starting center Jerome James had a forgettable outing. James played 13 minutes and was scoreless, missing twice from the field and twice from the line, with just one rebound before fouling out with 4 1/2minutes left in the third quarter. Leading scorer Ray Allen, meanwhile, had a poor shooting night, making just one of eight attempts from the field, though he was 6-for-6 from the free throw line for nine points to go with a team-best six assists.

No Sonic played more than Lewis' 28 minutes. In all, 13 of the 17 Sonics in uniform played and all scored except James.

Houston, meanwhile, opted to sit out usual starters Yao Ming, Steve Francis and Cuttino Mobley. Yao, the 7-foot-5 second-year center, just joined the team earlier this week after arriving from his native China and was in street clothes on the Rockets bench. Mobley was also in street clothes (as were four other Rockets), while Francis was in uniform but only watched as new Rockets coach Jeff Van Gundy used the contest to see some of his younger players.

The Sonics were to board their team charter this morning for a flight to Little Rock, Ark., and a Friday night rematch with the Rockets.

Seattle's only other preseason game at KeyArena will be Oct. 22 against the Golden State Warriors. The Sonics will then prepare for their season-opening trip to Japan, where they will face the Los Angeles Clippers in two games Oct. 30 and 31.

3. HotRocket

HotRocket Contributing Member

If Bokie's bad shot is because of lack of confidence/jitters, then I know there is hope for him. So far, I think he is just too excited right now; can't get a shot to go in. Once he calms down, I think those great drives and open shots will start amounting to something.

4. Blatz

Blatz Contributing Member

5. Rockets10

Rockets10 Contributing Member

yeah i did, it worked all game long.

6. thegary

thegary Contributing Member

wow! does alief still exist? just kidding, i graduated hastings in 1986.

7. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

Elsik '91

8. aries323

aries323 Member

I grew up by Memorial & Dairy Ashford... Man I miss the ol neighborhood. :(

9. thegary

thegary Contributing Member

man, i don't.

10. RCKTBachar

RCKTBachar Member

I work at Dairy Ashford and Whittington, I work in your old hood but dont live around here.
    Anyhow, last night was hilarious when Bill busted Yao for wearing the same clothes two nights in a row. "Didnt he have that black shirt on last night?"

11. verse

verse Contributing Member

looks like this thread has been sufficiently derailed....

12. ILuvEddie33

ILuvEddie33 Member

yea I knew dat!

13. KaiSeR SoZe

KaiSeR SoZe Contributing Member

oh well...Nachbar sucked:eek:

I wanna see how Yao turns up this Friday

14. anthoang2k2

anthoang2k2 Member

First time seeing the Rocket's new uni's in action. Man, they are nice and sleek... they're even shiny!!! Can't wait to see Yao in the new uni's... will those rounded slashes on the sides become ovalized on Yao's jersey?? :D

Yao/Rockets site: http://www.Yao-Ming.tv

15. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

I'm sorry if this already been mentioned but does anyone know how bad is Eddie Griffin's sore left foot?

16. speedball

speedball Contributing Member

How bad is it?.................................It's so bad that his right foot is running for governor of california! badum bump (i know that makes no sense, but whan i was a kid watching carson, his jokes didn't make sense to me either;) )

17. Stack24

Stack24 Contributing Member

Still in Alief area....Shadowlakes...

Hastings Class of 96

18. Rocketeer

Rocketeer Contributing Member

Elsik '99 and had the pleasure of watching Rashard play a couple of years.

19. red

red Contributing Member

same here...intersting...

20. aries323

aries323 Member

sounds like a personal problem... :cool: